Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > external Pioneer 105 not recognizing blank DVDs

external Pioneer 105 not recognizing blank DVDs
Zoom
Mac Elite
May 9, 2004, 06:37 PM

Now that I finally got my external drive to be recognized, I've having a very hard time getting it to recognize blank DVDs. I've tried 3 different brands (generic 4x, Memorex 4x and Kyhpermedia 1x), all of which I have successfully burned on before, but it's just not liking them. I can hear it seeking around a bit, spinning it up, spinning it down, seeking some more, over and over, until a minute later or so it just ejects it.

I've made three DVDs since I got it working again (thread here), but now I can't get it to accept any blanks. (On at least one of the 3 I just burned, I had to submit the disc a couple times, and I made one coaster.)

Is my drive dead? Is something interfering with its operation?

Do I need new firmware? I have 1.30 on there and I thought I read that there is a 1.33 available, though you have to boot into OS9 to install it or something stupid like that. Can anyone confirm this and provide a link to instructions? I've tried searching xlr8yourmac, but that place is so unorganized it drives me nuts.

Can someone at least focus my efforts? What controls this function? I'm assuming its the firmware, but could it be the burning application (in my case Toast 6), or could there be interfering software in the OS?

I'm so f**king frustrated!!

deTaNg
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 19, 2004, 06:58 PM

Suggestion to check, are you sure you're using a DVD-R disk? If you're using a + format, the writer won't recognize it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules