Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Dead firewire port?

Dead firewire port?
Will C
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 20, 2004, 01:03 PM

Sorry - this is a bit long, I've tried to keep it concise.
My dual USB iBook 500 seems to have a faulty firewire port. I am running OS X.3.6. I get power from it and it will power an external bus powered HD which works fine on another mac using the same firewire cable. I have also tried a camcorder on the iBook. Neither it nor the HD appear in system profiler.
Booting the iBook in Target disk mode shows the jumping firewire symbol on the display, but it does not mount on the other mac.
I have also tried:-
1. Resetting NVRAM in Open Firmware
2. Resetting PRAM using option command+P+R (+wait for 3 chimes)
3. De-powering, removing battery and cable and leaving for 30 minutes
The hardware test CD shows no problems - but the plugged in HD does not show.

The iBook otherwise seems to work fine.

Any other ideas for me to try before I consider selling a non-firewire dual iBook?

Thanks in anticipation.

Will

ajshades
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 20, 2004, 02:42 PM

I am sorry to not be able to offer a solution but I have had the same problem with my older imac DV+ 450.

I think the problem started when I was using video capture from my firewire camera. I'm guessing it burned out the port.

It will still charge my ipod but it won't connect to the computer.

It just sucks cause it also burned out the firewire port on the camera and the camera of course doesn't have an alt. port.

im sorry I can't offer a solution but I am curious to see whatever else has to say.

- adam mccombs

iluvmymactoo
Forum Regular
Nov 20, 2004, 04:18 PM

One possibility may be the 10.3.6 update as quite a few people have reported the same incidence.

I suddenly lost my firewire port with the exact same symptoms as yours on my 2 weeks old iBook after the update. I took it to my local tech who replaced the logic board, but I'm not convinced that was the problem.

Word is an update is soon to be released.
PowerBook 12" Combo 1.5Ghz 1.25GB Ram 100GB HDD - Yep it's PPC! I'll wait for the 3rd generation MacTel when they're at their best :)

Will C  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 20, 2004, 05:09 PM

Interesting...though I was running 10.3.5 when I first noticed the problem - I updated to 10.3.6 to see if it was solve it!

I'll look out for 10.3.7..

Thanks

troymurray
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 21, 2004, 12:44 AM

Curious if you contacted Apple on this yet? What, if anything, did they say or suggest?
Troy Murray

Will C  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 21, 2004, 06:47 AM

Originally posted by troymurray:
Curious if you contacted Apple on this yet? What, if anything, did they say or suggest?
I have not contacted Apple as it is 3 1/2 years old and way out of warranty (but I will post back if anything fixes it)

Forum Links
Forum Rules