Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > CPU upgrade MacBook Pro

CPU upgrade MacBook Pro
deTaNg
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 20, 2006, 11:14 AM

I'm considering purchasing a Macbook Pro for the portability and useability.

Now that the new Intel processors are out, I'd like to ask everyone's opinion whether I should purchase with the +$300 upgrade to the 2.16 Ghz model?

It's not only for the slight speed bump but for the expandability, possible with the CPU being not soldered on this special order model.

http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=1549

My concern is that even if I do get this option, future CPU releases won't work with the socket, e.g. the Merom. Can anyone justify purchasing the highest end model that way?

wintermute1
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 20, 2006, 11:27 AM

It is my understanding -- including from the story to which you link - that none of the Macbook Pros have upgradeable processors. They are all soldered to the logicboard, not socketed. As such, you should just purchase the system that serves your needs and prepare to sell it to fund an upgrade to faster Merom or conroe processor-equipped Macbook in the fall. Or - and perhaps more wisely -- make your G4 last until the Merom Macbook Pros arrive. September/October is not that far away.

Just my 2 cents.

D

Tuoder
Mac Elite
Apr 20, 2006, 12:01 PM

I think a speed-bump is coming along before too long. I wish I could remember where I read it. That would make the 2.16 quite a bit cheaper.

deTaNg  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 20, 2006, 03:41 PM

Ahh, that clears things up much more. I made a mistake reading the articles, on the +$300 upgrade, wrong. Thanks for setting me straight Winter.

deTaNg  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 20, 2006, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by Tuoder
I think a speed-bump is coming along before too long. I wish I could remember where I read it. That would make the 2.16 quite a bit cheaper.

Oh and the speed bump is coming as soon as third quarter according to certain reports. Hopefully Apple will adapt with the changes asap when they come out.

http://www.tgdaily.com/2006/04/19/in...ore_inq3_2006/

mduell
Posting Junkie
Apr 21, 2006, 03:27 PM

Merom will be a drop-in replacement for the sockets Yonah is currently using (Intel has already demoed it with a Dell laptop), but all the versions of the MBP have the CPU soldered in, so no upgrades will be possible.

Larg0
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 21, 2006, 04:44 PM

I've de-soldered things before, that would be impossible in this case? is the solder in an unreachable place? Or is it just around the outside rim?

So long,
Larg0

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Apr 21, 2006, 05:06 PM

I think that upgrade would be pretty damn impossible.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

mduell
Posting Junkie
Apr 21, 2006, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by Larg0
I've de-soldered things before, that would be impossible in this case? is the solder in an unreachable place? Or is it just around the outside rim?
You have to disassemble most of the laptop to get the circuit board out. There are disassembly pics online.

As far as desoldering and resoldering, it's ~480 balls in a dense grid array. See page 44 of this PDF for a dimensioned drawing. I don't know enough about electronics to say if it's possible given a reasonably priced setup (no sense in spending more than a new laptop to do it).
( Last edited by mduell; Apr 21, 2006 at 06:55 PM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules