Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Do you still use your G3 iMac?

Do you still use your G3 iMac? (Page 3)
cwosigns
Forum Regular
Sep 6, 2006, 08:42 AM

My first G3 iMac was the Indigo model that sold for $799. I loved that computer, but upgraded to a Titanium PowerBook. Since then I've had several Macs, and my main computer for 18 months has been my 1.5 GHz 12" PowerBook. I was searching Craigslist last week and saw a Blueberry G3 iMac 350 MHz with a 10GB hard drive and decided to pick it up. It was running 10.3.9 with 128 MB RAM. I also picked up 512 MB RAM on Craigslist for $50 and stuck that in there. So for like $115 I got a pretty nice computer to complement my PowerBook. I also, thanks to the advice I got here, picked up a gaming ethernet bridge so the iMac is wireless now, for about $50.
Chris
2011 MacBook Air, iPhone 4s, iPad 2

GabrieL^
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 6, 2006, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by cwosigns
picked up a gaming ethernet bridge so the iMac is wireless now, for about $50.

wow. what brand is it? mine is a Linksys G gaming adaptor and it was 90 bucks

cwosigns
Forum Regular
Sep 6, 2006, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by GabrieL^
wow. what brand is it? mine is a Linksys G gaming adaptor and it was 90 bucks
I got it at Best Buy yesterday, on sale for $49.99. Same one I believe. Linksys gaming adapter. I think it's also compatible with 802.11b/g/n.

The great thing is that it is connecting to my Airport Express, and lets me print wirelessly as well.
( Last edited by cwosigns; Sep 6, 2006 at 09:35 AM. )
Chris
2011 MacBook Air, iPhone 4s, iPad 2

beetleboy  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 9, 2006, 05:27 PM

I also use my old G3 iMac for importing video from cable tv and from my camcorder. It's nice and it doesn't tie up my newer, faster unit.
G4 17" iMac 1.25 Tiger
G3 Lime iMac DV 400 Tiger
G3 Snow iMac SE 700 Panther
G3 Graphite iMac DV SE 400 Panther

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Sep 9, 2006, 07:25 PM

Which old G3 iMac? I assume the 700MHz?

beetleboy  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 9, 2006, 11:26 PM

No actually, the Snow 700 is sitting on my kitchen table and hasn't been powered on for about 4 months. Surprisingly, I use the old Lime 400 for this purpose. It does the job well. I'm also a patient person.
G4 17" iMac 1.25 Tiger
G3 Lime iMac DV 400 Tiger
G3 Snow iMac SE 700 Panther
G3 Graphite iMac DV SE 400 Panther

ChasingApple
Senior User
Sep 15, 2006, 06:41 AM

I love threads like this one, keep it alive and keep using them awesome iMacs! Every month or so I am tempted to buy one
iMac G4 / Macbook

rsandborn1
Steven Landon
Marketplace Fame
Sep 15, 2006, 10:32 AM

My first iMac was my parents 400mhz Graphite DV iMac 13GB/128MB RAM... Mother still uses it and refuses to upgrade to OS 10.4. she runs OS 9.0 on it. analog board is starting to go. its making a high pitched wine. In 2001 when I graduated I bought a iMac DV +450mhz with a whopping 128MB RAM and a 20GB HD, I still have it, although the shell has been changed to Tangerine and the ram upgraded to 1GB and Hard drive to 120GB. I have Tiger installed on it as well, However it was replaced a few days ago by a core duo mini, now it sits in target disk mode keyboardless until i can afford a regular apple keyboard and mouse and an external drive enclosure for the mini. Im sure ill still use it.

youngwun0
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 31, 2006, 02:04 AM

Hey guys nice thread, I found this on google while doing some researching after just having purchased myself a used iMac G3 400 mHz 380MB 10GB HD Mac on ebay.... I am currently using it as a third computer (my first mac) I've been using it for surfing the web and chatting on msn. I currently have a linksys wireless-g game adaptor connected via Ethernet which connects me to my linksys broadband router and cable connection in my living room not to long away for long periods of times with very little disconnections (so far) My only problem is once in a while it will disconnect and when it does, it will not pick up the signal for hours at a time and since the imac is not set to scan or attempt to connect to a certain access point of choice or shows a list i have no idea whats going on and have to sit and wait for it to reconnect, Anyone know a solution or what may be the problem ?

I am looking to replace the hard drive, cd-rom drive and place a second 250MB ram stick in to replace the 128MB but i am a bit unsure on what model i have because i hear so much about the 1999, 2000 and early 2001 models and all these different 350 mhz, 400, 700 ect....

gooser
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 31, 2006, 04:03 AM

1. i use an apple airport card with whatever modem verizon sent me and it never disconnects. what os are you using?
2. replace hard drive, optical drive and more memory? you must really like this older machine. don't get me wrong, i use mine almost daily.
3. lowendmac.com might be able to steer you as to exactly what model you have.
4. welcome to the forums.
imac g3 600
imac g4 800 superdrive
ibook 466

youngwun0
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 31, 2006, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by gooser View Post
1. i use an apple airport card with whatever modem verizon sent me and it never disconnects. what os are you using?
2. replace hard drive, optical drive and more memory? you must really like this older machine. don't get me wrong, i use mine almost daily.
3. lowendmac.com might be able to steer you as to exactly what model you have.
4. welcome to the forums.
hehe thanks for the reply and the welcome

Alright well i don't really have an airport card i use my wireless-g gaming adaptor to connect via ethernet and directly to the internet all works fine for hours up until it decides to disconnect and stay off for hours at a time.

Yeah i like it i mean it's not the fastest in the world but i have 2 pc's in 2 other rooms so i decided to buy this as my first mac project and beef it up for my room since i can always reuse the hard drive or ram.

Thanks for the link i just checked but i'm a bit confused because the summer 2000 version and feburary 2001 version seems almost the same.

centerchannel68
Baninated
Dec 31, 2006, 02:05 PM

I own the ultimate 1st gen iMac, as described here:

http://forums.macnn.com/73/mac-modif...ht=frankenimac

It's currently in my closet on a shelf, running OSX 10.3, and it's been on for about a month straight now. It currently hosts my webpage @ chicane.myftp.org, and hosts all my music wirelessly since it's connected to my linksys router, and eventually it'll also be connected to the printer and scanner so I can do printer sharing with it. It'll be nice to be able to print and then walk over to the closet and open the door and have my paper ready... I hate having printers 'out'... they're ugly and big and they always get dusty. It also serves backup duties.

My only gripe? Apple removed any type of support for the Rage IIc card, so it can't really do anything in OSX like play a video, run a screensaver, etc... it's like a slideshow. The good news is I don't watch videos or run screensavers on it, but it's still annoying.

ApeInTheShell
Senior User
Dec 31, 2006, 07:25 PM

I had an iMac DV 400 Lime from 1999 to 2005 and then it died. I sold it to another person and they brought it back to life. D'oh! Now I have my g/fs iMac DV 400 blueberry and it works good.

The only problem is there are some lines running across the screen and depending on your background picture it can get annoying. Most of the time I don't notice them. I am not sure whether it is a monitor problem or what.

This computer is like a swiss army knife and exceeds its original intent. I use it for illustration, video production, website design, animation, email, instant messaging, watching movies, running Windows in emulation, school work, web surfing, listening to music, synching iPod Shuffle 2G, iPod 4G, and iPod Photo. I have two external drives and I boot from one. I want a new iMac but I'm not sure I could part with this one.

We have a new iMac downstairs but even with the ability to do more things faster its just not the same. It's not my iMac.

ChasingApple
Senior User
Jan 1, 2007, 12:24 AM

I think I may end up getting a low cost old school iMac G3 for some work in my office. The price of these gems is too good to pass off, and they are workhorses! If I do, I will post pics and everything!
iMac G4 / Macbook

brokecollegestudentF04
Banned
Jan 1, 2007, 12:48 AM

Using a Grape 400mhz With Panther 10.3.9 Server as a Netboot/webserver.. works great with 128MB RAM/20GB..

MattJeff
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 1, 2007, 03:04 AM

"Blue berry"? for me 400mhz. i love it to death. its still a workhorse for me. it solidified my apple love even more when i got it and to this day from the fact it still works all these years later.

youngwun0
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 4, 2007, 01:28 PM

Hey, Anyone know any good or decent mac games that are able to be ran on a imac g3 at a reasonable speed ? I know the selection probably isn't too great but it would be cool to play a nice shooting game when i'm bored (even if it's old) or when my 5 year old nephew visits to play a few games.... As mentioned above i currently have an inidigo iMac G3 400Mhz 10GB HDD 384MB Ram running mac os x 10.3.9.

JKT
Professional Poster
Jan 4, 2007, 02:36 PM

IIRC, Alien vs. Predator runs pretty well on that model. Civ III will run OK, but will get slow when you've explored the world. For your 5 year old nephew, perhaps Nanosaur 2 will run OK, and Bugdom 1 and 2 (in fact may be all the older Pangea games). Wingnuts is a free download and might run well enough as well - arcade shooter that both you and the kid will enjoy.

centerchannel68
Baninated
Jan 4, 2007, 06:57 PM

Unreal, Quake 3, Carmageddon II, Podracer, Rune, and a lot of other games of that era.

youngwun0
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 4, 2007, 09:16 PM

Ahh i see, quite a few to choose from thanks for the help guys i'll have a look at those

youngwun0
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 5, 2007, 10:26 AM

Alright guys i have 1 last question lol For about a week now I've been searching all over but cannot find what I'm searching for, Now my iMac G3 is connected to the Internet using a Linksys Wireless-G Ethernet router which automatically picks up signal and connects from my wireless-g broadband router in my living room i DO NOT have an airport card installed and I've been in search for any apps that might do what iStumbler does such as showing available networks around the area, signal strengths without an airport card and connect anyone know of a program that might do this on a wireless Ethernet connection ?

P.S. I am connected already so I'm not trying to connect although it would be easier to pick one as Linksys does not have support the network monitor for mac's

brokecollegestudentF04
Banned
Jan 5, 2007, 07:55 PM

My grape iMac was sold.. Now i have a 400mhz Graphite DV SE running server tasks.. it was stevens mothers.. but it kicks right along.. and once the move is finalized I think ill put one in my kitchen for web access.. Great little machines.. I love them

voodoodaddy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 6, 2007, 12:15 PM

Hey, I can jump in here now as I just bought one.

I got a Snow 500mhz DV SE with 256mb ram and a 30gb hdd for a whopping $99.

I got this for my young kids to use on for the internet as they are always fighting over my wifes macbook. My mini is mostly off limits as I don't want them doing something I don't know how to undo.

I didn't expect much from a 500mhz machine but am surprised at how quick it really is. It has 10.2 or 10.3, I forget which. But basically looks like Tiger to me. No hurry to upgrade to Tiger either. It came with 9.2 and 10.whatever installed. First boot was to 9.2, wow did that look weird. I quickly looked around for the other boot option.

I want to drop in about 512mb of ram and it will be even better.

This thing looks brand spanking new as well. I opened the bottom hatch to check out the ram and there isn't a spec of dust anywhere to be seen. I got it off ebay and I am amazed that no one bid on it besides me.

Very nice machine, especially for $99. Seems worth much more than that.

This goes along with my mini and wifes macbook. We are new to macs just since June of last year, and now we have 3. Still have a few windows boxes lying around, don't know what I'm going to do with those. My oldest son (13) got a toshiba laptop from his grandparents shortly before christmas. I told my wife he needs to sell that and use the $ for a macbook refurb

SlimeX is selling one here in buy/sell forum with the same specs, except his has 768mb of ram. If you have ever considered getting one it would be a great buy. I "almost" want to buy his, but I do not need another computer that's for sure.

Cassifire
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 8, 2007, 12:06 AM

Sometimes, not very much since I got my Mini.

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 8, 2007, 04:04 PM

No. I sold my last iMac G3 (Rev. D) last summer.

aoprods
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 8, 2007, 05:56 PM

I just purchased an iMac Power PC G3 350 with 256mb ram, 40gb hd and cd on ebay for $17. I has Mac OS 9.2.2 installed and nothing else. It didn't come with a keyboard or mouse. I've been using pcs for over 20 years, this is my first mac. Any keyboard or mouse recommendations would be appreciated along with any other comments (helpful I hope, lol). What applications/OS could I run on this machine? I bought it hoping to learn about macs. Oh yeah, day before I also bought a Power Mac G4 400. Guess I kinda went nuts. Pick both of these units up tomorrow, can't wait. Any help would be appreciated.

youngwun0
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 11, 2007, 12:35 PM

Hmm, Anyone know exactly what type of airport card is compatible with the iMac g3 400Mhz indigo ? I am planning on purchasing one hopefully tomorrow or this weekend and have seen hundreds of different one's on ebay but i'd prefer an official apple one that is 100% compatible, Anyone know any trustworthy site's that may have some in stock that are both compatible and at a reasonable price ?

Thanks

JKT
Professional Poster
Jan 11, 2007, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by youngwun0 View Post
Hmm, Anyone know exactly what type of airport card is compatible with the iMac g3 400Mhz indigo ? I am planning on purchasing one hopefully tomorrow or this weekend and have seen hundreds of different one's on ebay but i'd prefer an official apple one that is 100% compatible, Anyone know any trustworthy site's that may have some in stock that are both compatible and at a reasonable price ?

Thanks
Item Info at OtherWorldComputing.com - I would check to see if they are compatible with iMacs first.

FWIW, you might be better off getting a USB WiFi adapter.
( Last edited by JKT; Jan 11, 2007 at 01:41 PM. )

JKT
Professional Poster
Jan 11, 2007, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by aoprods View Post
I just purchased an iMac Power PC G3 350 with 256mb ram, 40gb hd and cd on ebay for $17. I has Mac OS 9.2.2 installed and nothing else. It didn't come with a keyboard or mouse. I've been using pcs for over 20 years, this is my first mac. Any keyboard or mouse recommendations would be appreciated along with any other comments (helpful I hope, lol). What applications/OS could I run on this machine? I bought it hoping to learn about macs. Oh yeah, day before I also bought a Power Mac G4 400. Guess I kinda went nuts. Pick both of these units up tomorrow, can't wait. Any help would be appreciated.
$17 - I hope it works OK, but if so, that was a steal.

The highest version of Mac OS that can run on 350MHz iMac is Mac OS X 10.3.9, which is good in a way as you can get 10.3 installer CDs for very little on e-bay.

The G4 400 should be able to run the latest version of OS X 10.4

Keyboards/Mice. Personally, I would try to get a Mac USB keyboard just to make life easier with keyboard shortcuts (by having the right labels on the right keys), but any USB keyboard should work. Likewise, any USB mouse should work.

wei
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 31, 2007, 06:03 AM

Hi guys, does anyone know that an iMac DV 400Mhz can do a TV-out?
Will a simple VGA-AV cable work?
MacPro, MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacMini, iPad, iPhone, and much more...

Will C
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 31, 2007, 06:56 AM

You could use a VGA to composite (or Y/C) converter i.e. a powered device but the VGA pin-out does not provide a TV output - all the pins are used for R G B, grounds and syncs and monitor IDs (OK there is one spare pin)

EDIT However - thinking about it again - if you have a TV with an RGB input then it may be possible if your TV can accept say 480 lines or if you can get the iMac to switch to 'NTSC' mode.

Did you have a particular cable in mind?
( Last edited by Will C; Jan 31, 2007 at 07:04 AM. )

wei
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 31, 2007, 12:03 PM

No idea what cable to get. At first I was thinking to get something like this: link. But seems like I need something else.

Will C
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 1, 2007, 05:05 AM

Ah, OK, I was not aware that some video cards offered the option to put TV signal out via the 15 pin D-Sub. Sorry I cannot advise

wei
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 1, 2007, 10:14 PM

No problem Will C, I'm glad enough to get reply. It's 50/50 chance. I will report back later if I get it working.

FCgrabo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 4, 2007, 04:11 AM

I own a G3 iMac Graphite running 10.3.9 which I lend out to friends who wish to experience "enlightenment".

I also have a G3 Indigo Clamshell iBook which I'm working on to get it up to Panther 10.3.

Any Mac which can run Mac OS X in any flavor is a keeper
iMac G5 1.8, Mac mini 1.66 Intel, iMac G3 700, PowerMac 6500 250, iBook 366

idykenano
Forum Regular
Feb 13, 2007, 09:42 AM

I work for a small counseling EAP that uses solely macs, and their older computers are G3 iMacs. 2 of them died and I took them home, and after a small bit of tinkering and ebay, I pulled together a computer I use for all my college and small business needs.

sfinds
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 14, 2007, 12:50 PM

I have an G3 iMac DV 400. About 2 years ago tried to update the firmware in anticipation of going from OS 9.2 to Panther. It crashed and the repair guy said the extra RAM I had in it was gone. Got it replaced with 256 (I think). The slot loading DVD was barely working also so I looked for an external and couldn't find one by what I was reading that would work. So decided then not to put any more $$ in it. Now the hard drive is making really bad "clicking" sounds. Last month I did get a 20" iMac. It has had a couple of gliches but I still love it.
My question is I would like to get the G3 to where I can use photo DVDs on it. Any suggestions as to what kind of HD and DVD player would work and not set me back mega bucks? Thanks

idykenano
Forum Regular
Feb 14, 2007, 10:52 PM

I put a dvdrom in my imac that I bought off ebay. I believe it put me back $20. It's just the same slot loading dvdrom that you used to have, but I like having the dvd capabilities. I did the install myself, its fairly simple if you have a static strap and can get the shell open.

sfinds
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 15, 2007, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by idykenano View Post
I put a dvdrom in my imac that I bought off ebay. I believe it put me back $20. It's just the same slot loading dvdrom that you used to have, but I like having the dvd capabilities. I did the install myself, its fairly simple if you have a static strap and can get the shell open.
I saw that on ebay and thought about bidding! Wish I had. I have about 100 pages of work I need to get off the old one before I even try to do anything else. Just hope the HD hangs on. I want to keep the G3 iMac to use in my studio.

centerchannel68
Baninated
Feb 15, 2007, 12:02 PM

If the HD doesn't hang on, it's pretty cheap to get a new HD. Why would a broken HD make you toss a machine that's otherwise running decently?

sfinds
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 15, 2007, 01:39 PM

I am planning on keeping it and using it in my studio.

Mr.Creosote
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 18, 2007, 02:10 AM

I bought the G3 that SlimeX was selling (the one that voododaddy mentioned). It's my first "legacy" Mac. I've had a MacBook since August which was my first Mac. Other than the keyboard I haven't been that impressed with it. I picked up the iMac to see if I was being too hard on Apple. It turns out I was.

It'a a Graphite DV+ SE/ 768 MB RAM/ DVD-ROM/ 30 GB HDD.

It's running 10.4.8 just fine. I put a 120 GB HDD in it and an Asus USB wireless adapter and Matais OS X keyboard w/ mouse on it. I have about 5600 songs imported into iTunes. I've downloaded NeoOffice and Quicksilver and they work great. I'm using a Sonic Impact T-Amp, via the line-out jack, to drive a pair of Small Advent (vintage 1978) bookshelf speakers. I've never heard a computer sound this good! That's the amp though and not the sound chip. It has seen and printed from both Canon inkjets and a Brother and HP laser printer that I have plugged in to it. That's the good part...

The bad part(s) are: USB 1.1 throughput and the CRT is getting "weak" although after 6 years it has a right to be. DVDs are just too dark on it and I can tell the boundaries are shrinking at 1024 X 768. I fear the CRT won't last much longer. I had to replace the battery because I kept losing the mouse pointer and the time would go back. Easy fix though...Radio Shack FTW!

No matter. I enjoy working and playing on the G3 more than I do on a brand new MacBook. The internet, iTunes and document processing are just great on it. The laptop is much faster and can do many more things simultaneously but it locks up as much as my Wintel Gateway laptop. I have AppleCare and it's been back twice already. That, more than anything, is why I still do all of my picture manipulation on an XP machine ( that and the Graphire tablet I have hooked to it).

I'm not sold on OS X and I won't be getting rid of my XP machines in the near future. That being said, if anybody has any qualms about getting a G3 foget about it. They seem to be fully capable machines that would get you a couple of years service without much problem. There are enough web sites to walk the neophyte (like me) throgh any upgrade path they need to take to make these old machines modern.
4 "Wintels", a MacBook, an iMac (G3 baby!), and a couple of iPods.

Jens Peter
Senior User
Feb 18, 2007, 06:00 AM

My parents use my old 600Mhz for surfing and email on a daily basis - and when I'm home to vistit them, I always have to turn in on and use it just a little...

gooser
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 18, 2007, 12:02 PM

yo senor creosote

i had the same model as yours that i bought new when it was released. even with a brand new machine dvd's were dark and sometimes a little streaky.
imac g3 600
imac g4 800 superdrive
ibook 466

beckse
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 25, 2007, 01:27 AM

Hello, all.

I found this board while searching for info on wireless access for my iMac Indigo (summer 2000).

I am running OS 10.3.9. Per the posts above, I bought a Linksys Wireless-B (not G) game adapter. I want to get access to my roommate's wireless. In the Network control panel, I entered her router's IP, picked a presumably vacant one for my machine, and entered the subnet mask. 10.3.9 does not appear to support SSID.

The "channel" of this adapter is set to "In" for internet. The switch on the side is set to X for a connection to a router, as opposed to II for a connection directly to another game adapter.

The Network Status monitor gives me a "green light" and says that I am connected to the Internet. However, I can't get any webpages or telnet. I disabled my dialup connection to no avail.

Any thoughts on this?

Once I get this done, is there an iStumbler app that works with the Indigo, as youngwun0 asks above?

What about the Airport Express? I know that it will feed wireless "backwards" into my machine, but will it scan for available networks? Or is there a way to trick 10.3.9 into thinking it's on an Airport-compatible machine, so that its native scanning will work?

(I bought the Linksys first to see if I can get it to work--it costs $50 to the Express' $100, and it is returnable, while the Express is not.)

Thanks so much for your help. I have looked around on the board and not found help with this, so feel free to direct me to another thread if there's something I missed.

--beckse

youngwun0
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 25, 2007, 09:47 AM

@beckse - For me all i did to make them both work together was i plugged in the game adaptor to my main router for just a few seconds just to get the Internet pumping in the game adaptor, Then i plugged the game adaptor into my imac went to preferences selected to use "built in Ethernet" and choose the option to automatically assign DHCP (No need to manually enter the subnet mask or router IP) The problem is that if your roommate has WEP or WAP enabled you may not be able to connect as there is no option or way to enter the WEP or WAP using this method so he/she may have to turn it off

P.S. I have also yet to find any programs out there such as netstumbler that may show the areas wireless connections, everything is about the airport card unforturnately. Also remember to keep the gaming adaptor on infrastructure mode NOT AD-HOC and make sure the main router is able and has the option ebaled to connect to both wireless-b & g.

beckse
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 25, 2007, 01:12 PM

Thanks for replying, youngwun0.

That's what I'll try, then--tonight I'll plug the adapter into the router and see if the router works some sort of configuration mojo on it. Is your router also a Linksys? Hers is not--some sort of Brand X--so that may have something to do with it.

Personally I suspect that the problem is not with the adapter, but with the network configuration settings on my own computer. Take, for instance, a humble dialup connection--it can connect, and show that it's connected in Network Status, and still it won't get me webpages if something else is wrong. I just have to find the "something else."

The FAQ on iStumbler recommended KisMac as an alternative, http://kismac.de/ . I have not had time to try it (or perhaps its earlier versions) yet. Let me know if you have any luck.

Best,
Sarah

cynapple
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 5, 2007, 08:02 PM

Hi gang!!
I'm new to this board. I have a blueberry 350mhz with 320mb of ram. have no idea what my gig drive is. any way. . . .my screen is completely BLACK!! first it had a bunch of squiggly lines, then it eventually went black. once in a while when i come home, the screen will be up and slightly distorted, but by the next day, it's black again.
Does this mean i need a whole new computer? I had a dvd-drive installed years ago. should i just buy a used monitor and have someone transfer everything for me? i am so clueless to this, but i don't want to lose my work.

thanks in advance for your help.

youngwun0
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 17, 2007, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by beckse View Post
Thanks for replying, youngwun0.

That's what I'll try, then--tonight I'll plug the adapter into the router and see if the router works some sort of configuration mojo on it. Is your router also a Linksys? Hers is not--some sort of Brand X--so that may have something to do with it.

Personally I suspect that the problem is not with the adapter, but with the network configuration settings on my own computer. Take, for instance, a humble dialup connection--it can connect, and show that it's connected in Network Status, and still it won't get me webpages if something else is wrong. I just have to find the "something else."

The FAQ on iStumbler recommended KisMac as an alternative, binaervarianz.de - KisMAC . I have not had time to try it (or perhaps its earlier versions) yet. Let me know if you have any luck.

Best,
Sarah
Just a little update, After playing with my WGA54G gaming router which was connected to the ethernet port of my iMac with no airport card this afternoon i noticed when configuring it the cd gave me an ip address to use for the gaming adaptor..... 192.168.1.250 i put my gaming router back on my imac and entered the ip address in the address bar and surprise surprise.... there is a built in connection viewer (not sure what it's really called lol) from there you can scan connections, choose to connect to any then simply press the "DHCP Renew" button in the network system preferences. you can log into any open connection and if it has WEP there is an option to enter the key since the imac network settings doesn't have that option, I haven't used it much but i played around with it a bit hopefully now i do not have to disconnect anything or wait hours until it feels like reconnecting to my Access point, Hope that helps you.

Northeastern292
Forum Regular
Mar 17, 2007, 08:14 PM

I still occasionally fire up my late dad's iMac 350 (Summer 2000), and I still think it is one of the most handicapped computers out there.

I also use my mom's iMac G3 500 (Summer 2001). I upgraded the hard drive to 80GB and upgraded the ram. 10.4 is a little sluggish, but still runs fine.

R.I.P iMac G3 production 8-15-98/3-18-03

Good times, good times.

I still say that Apple should have made them with an optional 400MHz G4, threw in Combo Drives and an ATI Radeon chip (an extra 16MB of GPU RAM is nice to have!)
The Mac Collection:

Power Mac G4 Sawtooth at 450MHz, Power Mac G4 Gigabit Ethernet at 400MHz, three Power Mac FW800's at 1.0GHz, MacBook Pro at 2.0GHz, my late father's G3 iMac at 350MHz, an iMac at 500MHz, a PowerBook G4 (12-inch VGA) and a PowerBook 170

Forum Links
Forum Rules