Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Safari v1.1 on Panther... is this a joke?

Safari v1.1 on Panther... is this a joke?
pat++
Mac Elite
Oct 20, 2003, 06:17 PM

I've been able to try Panther for a few days now, and it's pretty fast compared to Jaguar (much more responsive). But, there are a lot of problems to be solved... My main concern is Safari v1.1... what the hell did they do with it? Windows now stop to update/draw when the mouse is in the menu bar or in a popup menu ! It feels like a crappy OS 9/Carbon app! I can't believe noone has seen this before... hopefully they will fix it for 10.3.1... (and I double checked, it was not like this in v85/Jaguar). Camino does not block redraws either when the mouse is in a menu... Tooooo Baaaaaaaaaad!

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Oct 20, 2003, 06:22 PM

Please tell me that Apple plans on releasing an update to Safari for Jaguar and not just with Panther...please, please, please...

Anybody know?

ZackS
Banned
Oct 20, 2003, 06:23 PM

I think it may be to improve menu performance while things are working. Odds are when you press a menu and select an option, you want to do it quickly. Having the menu slow down and the render slow down is useless. Panther makes a lot of such tradeoffs to increase perceived speed.

alex_wlu_82
Forum Regular
Oct 20, 2003, 06:59 PM

Originally posted by ZackS:
I think it may be to improve menu performance while things are working. Odds are when you press a menu and select an option, you want to do it quickly. Having the menu slow down and the render slow down is useless. Panther makes a lot of such tradeoffs to increase perceived speed.
i agree.. i HATE you are trying to quit or do some other function when the page is loading.. although hitting stop sometimes works, but not always.. not very much at all in safari, but i noticed this alot in IE.. the stop button didn't even work sometimes.. or it appeared to stop, but the page kept on loading..

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Oct 20, 2003, 07:44 PM

We probably have 4 or more point releases to fix Panther + app bugs/problems.

After these point releases, we should have a crazy fast and stable OS. It'll be really hard for Apple to convince me to buy 10.4 now that I'm satisfied with OS X.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Oct 20, 2003, 08:42 PM

I'm not worried... they can always throw out a 1 MB update and we are all good again. It's not like they took a month vacation...

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 20, 2003, 08:52 PM

Hmm..I say it is a joke!

Apple is laughing at you right now!

gregpins
Forum Regular
Oct 20, 2003, 10:31 PM

Panther is the best system update in memory, demonstrably faster in just about every way, but I agree -- Safari is the exception. It actually feels slower and periodically just freezes.

But overall, Panther is spectacular.

DBvader
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 21, 2003, 12:04 AM

i dont really feel any speed gains/loss in panther other than the gaming performance increase. Safari has always been stable on my system, and is under panther as well. I am on a Dual 867 with a gig of RAM, and other than the speed gains i was talking about in games and expose, i have a hard time shelling out 130 for this upgrade (especially when ill buy it for 20 dollars becuase of the powerbook my sister recently got) becuase its not quite the gigantic step jag (also 130) was. sure apps and games are faster, and expose is an intresting app (and useful when things get out of hand...which is rare @ 1600 X 1200), but panther hardly boasts the feature set that panther did. My machine is the first mac i owned, and i felt that it wasnt at all responsive compared to my 2 GHz PC, but by .8, jaguar was a fairly responsive, quick operating system...i guess i was just expecting loads more.
"Take a little dope...and walk out in the air"

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 21, 2003, 12:05 AM

Originally posted by pat++:
and I double checked, it was not like this in v85/Jaguar.
Safari never updated while you are using a button/scrollbar etc. It's a limitation in Cocoa.
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Oct 21, 2003, 10:33 AM

Originally posted by Developer:
Safari never updated while you are using a button/scrollbar etc. It's a limitation in Cocoa.
He's not talking about scrollbars and buttons. Those are known to not be re-entrant in Cocoa.

He's talking about menus and pop-up menus and stuff that is supposed to not stop redraws.

Hop Pocket
Forum Regular
Oct 21, 2003, 11:43 AM

I didn't want to start a new thread about this, but with Safari 1.1, I have been having frequent browser crasher, where with 1.0 it never crashed on me.

Has anyone else experienced this with 1.1 ?

No other apps are really crashing, although I did have to reinstall my wacom tablet driver when it completely freaked out on me.

Forum Links
Forum Rules