Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Rip now, or wait? RIP iTunes

Rip now, or wait? RIP iTunes
Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 10, 2019, 02:32 PM

I see that iTunes is getting killed off. I have over 300 CDs that need to be ripped to my Mac. Should I go ahead and do it now, or wait for the new Catalina Music app and do it then?
45/47

andi*pandi
Jun 10, 2019, 02:47 PM

Good question.

I've been holding off on doing iTunes Match to get that sweet sweet content updates from early RIPs I did (cough, found) but have heard that iTunes Match effs things up.

It will be a pain to do content syncing to idevices without One App to Rule Them All.

Chongo  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 10, 2019, 03:51 PM

"One app to rule them all"

I have iCloud turned on for photos and iTunes. With this turned on, you cannot manage photos or music for the Mac. Any idea if this is corrected under Catalina?
45/47

reader50
Administrator
Jun 10, 2019, 03:58 PM

Just install Catalina to an external hard drive. Then test-rip a few CDs. See if Catalina does a better job.

Catalina does better -> upgrade main drive, and start ripping.
iTunes does better -> rip everything. Then update.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 10, 2019, 06:35 PM

What would you expect to change in Catalina? It’s not like checking metadata against a database, converting audio to a lossless codec, and pulling a cover image from the store is going to be more of a hurdle, is it?

Chongo  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 10, 2019, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
What would you expect to change in Catalina? It’s not like checking metadata against a database, converting audio to a lossless codec, and pulling a cover image from the store is going to be more of a hurdle, is it?
The Music app is supposed to be faster than iTunes. I’m just wondering if there will be an improvement in ripping CDs.
( Last edited by Chongo; Jun 10, 2019 at 11:07 PM. )
45/47

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 11, 2019, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
The Music app is supposed to be faster than iTunes. I’m just wondering if there will be an improvement in ripping CDs.
The ripping process is limited by the speed and accuracy of the drive, not of the computer or software that's sitting there twiddling figurative thumbs until the laser gets it on.

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 12, 2019, 11:47 AM

Frankly, iTunes grew into bloatware, so it's not surprising that a new, music-only application could be faster. However, I haven't seen much more than "this is new and wonderful" from Apple, so I don't know if switching to Music will be better for me.

My library is about 75MB, and I think around 65% ripped content. I am curious how any new product would affect my library. Particularly the content I purchased through iTunes...

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

andi*pandi
Jun 12, 2019, 12:21 PM

I recall being peeved that things I'd purchased changed from being on my computer to being "in the cloud" so I couldn't play them unless I had internet. :/

Article about itunes, hoping the smart playlist feature is kept in whatever future app we get:

https://www.theringer.com/music/2019...aming-services
( Last edited by andi*pandi; Jun 12, 2019 at 04:33 PM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules