Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > MH370 - Malaysian Airlines 2014

MH370 - Malaysian Airlines 2014
subego
Clinically Insane
Jun 22, 2019, 04:09 AM

Old thread is old. (see speculation thread here: http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.php?t=508794)

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine...rlines/590653/

This is much longer than it needs to be, but the tl;dr is it theorizes the (depressed) pilot sent the First Officer out of the cockpit, locked himself in, and then murdered everyone by depressurizing the plane. The pilot later crashed the plane, as opposed to it running out of fuel.

The author also accuses the Malaysian government of doing a preemptive coverup. They didn’t necessarily know what they were hiding, but suspected something bad from the outset, and have been running interference ever since.

Edit: one part I forgot... the Malaysian Air Force had the plane on radar for a bit after the plane did it’s mystery turn. In other words, they knew almost from the outset the plane took the route over the ocean and not towards China.

Edit too: a large part of the government coverup can be attributed to an instinctive response from being in a corrupt environment. It’s apparently dangerous in Malaysia to cross someone with more political power than you. Since no one knew who was to blame, it was much safer not to touch it lest you piss off the wrong person.
( Last edited by subego; Jun 22, 2019 at 11:08 AM. )

andi*pandi
Jun 22, 2019, 11:04 AM

Wow. This map showing debris locations in madagascar... the ocean is big.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 22, 2019, 11:09 AM

Thanks for the additions!

Ham Sandwich
Jun 22, 2019, 11:10 AM

[...deleted...]
( Last edited by Ham Sandwich; Apr 23, 2020 at 10:28 AM. )

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 22, 2019, 12:18 PM

Assuming this theory is true, my best guess as to “why” is the Pilot was trying to make it as difficult as possible to find out “why”.

Which he did.

We’ll never find the black boxes, and he has an entire government to deny it even happened.

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Jun 24, 2019, 08:07 AM

The bit about the Inmarsat logins I found fascinating. A bit spooky, these autonomous systems briefly connecting, way out in the middle of nowhere leaving just a glimpse of the planes potential course.
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 24, 2019, 08:54 AM

60 Minutes Australia episode on MH370
One theory mentions my company, Freescale at the time. There was several of our engineers on that flight who “were working on DOD projects”. Freescale of course denies this.
45/47

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 24, 2019, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by Doc HM View Post
The bit about the Inmarsat logins I found fascinating. A bit spooky, these autonomous systems briefly connecting, way out in the middle of nowhere leaving just a glimpse of the planes potential course.
Made extra spooky by the assertion the plane had become a flying Jonestown.

mindwaves
Jul 3, 2019, 09:03 PM

Yes, the captain (or co-captain or both) was in it. If somehow everyone went to sleep because such and such issue, the plane would have crashed and a ton of debris would have been found, due to the plane smacking the water willy nilly and breaking the plane into many pieces, some of them big and easily found or floatable.

Instead, what we have here is the captain turning the plane so he can see his hometown one last time -- completely off course and deliberate, mind you -- and guiding plane along a certain (perhaps not straight path) and crashing the plane in a guided trajectory that the plane would land mostly intact. This way the entire plane is inside the ocean with everyone in their watery grave.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jul 4, 2019, 06:55 AM

Unless I’m misreading the article, the size of the debris led them to the conclusion the plane didn’t end up relatively intact and sink, but hit the ocean so hard it was ripped to shreds.

So, nose-down, full-throttle.

mindwaves
Jul 4, 2019, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
Unless I’m misreading the article, the size of the debris led them to the conclusion the plane didn’t end up relatively intact and sink, but hit the ocean so hard it was ripped to shreds.

So, nose-down, full-throttle.
You are right in your reading, but my conclusion is just from my own personal opinion and based on other analysis and scenarios. To me, if the plane hit the ground hard (intentional or not), large parts of the plane will be intact. This was a sizable plane also, a 777.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jul 5, 2019, 02:16 AM

I feel the theory in the article is more plausible because...

1) The debris sure looks like it came from a plane that was shredded.

2) A poll I made up found 9 out of 10 crazies prefer instant death to drowning.

Forum Links
Forum Rules