Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > GoodRx?

GoodRx?
Thorzdad
Jul 10, 2019, 11:19 AM

Has anyone here used GoodRx for prescriptions? My doc wants to try me on a med my insurer doesn't cover. So, he suggested GoodRx (he actually had cards available), and we looked-up what the cost would be at my local pharmacy with a GoodRx card and the price-cut was amazingly substantial. Almost too-good-to-be-true substantial.

If you've used GoodRx, have you found their price estimates to be relatively accurate?

andi*pandi
Jul 10, 2019, 11:48 AM

never heard of them! but your doc sounds like they are helping you out.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 10, 2019, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by Thorzdad View Post
Has anyone here used GoodRx for prescriptions? My doc wants to try me on a med my insurer doesn't cover. So, he suggested GoodRx (he actually had cards available), and we looked-up what the cost would be at my local pharmacy with a GoodRx card and the price-cut was amazingly substantial. Almost too-good-to-be-true substantial.

If you've used GoodRx, have you found their price estimates to be relatively accurate?
Yes.
Our prescription provider, CVS/Caremark, covers the generic 2.5mg “for daily use” tadalafil, ($10 for 90 days) but not the 5mg(?). My PCP prescribed the 5mg so I use GoodRX. It’s $80 for 90 days, far less than the $240 CVS/Caremark wants, even with GoodRX. I will fill the script at Frys next time. It’s a little less that Safeway, and Frys gives the full value towards fuel points prior to applying the Good RX discount.
45/47

Atheist
Mac Elite
Jul 10, 2019, 01:25 PM

I'm aware of them but have never used them. Drug prices are a mystery in the U.S. I found an interesting read regarding how GoodRx works (and makes money). Was interested to learn it was founded by former Facebook execs. You'll get a guaranteed headache reading it but it does a good job explaining things: https://www.mdedge.com/psychiatry/ar...o-how-it-works

andi*pandi
Jul 10, 2019, 01:46 PM

thx for that article. Might be worth checking out!

Thorzdad  (op)
Jul 10, 2019, 02:35 PM

Thanks, everyone.
So, I ran over to my big-box pharmacy and filled the prescription. Worked like a charm. It went from a prior-authoization-required $85/30 pills, to a hey-no-problem $16/30 pills.

reader50
Administrator
Jul 10, 2019, 02:50 PM

20 years ago, we worried about keeping the high school kids in line here. And seanyepez was too young to be a Mod.

Now we trade tips on prescription drug discounts. It's getting scary.

Thorzdad  (op)
Jul 10, 2019, 04:28 PM

Does the first one to start taking Social Security win a prize?

andi*pandi
Jul 10, 2019, 05:11 PM

AARP member card.

Thorzdad  (op)
Jul 10, 2019, 05:58 PM

Meh. You can legit get one of those when you turn 50. Maybe even before.

reader50
Administrator
Jul 10, 2019, 06:54 PM

It appears there is no age limit for joining AARP. 18 perhaps, if they require adults. They demand a birthday, because many of their partner benefits have age limits. But AARP itself doesn't seem to have one.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jul 11, 2019, 02:09 PM

I've been getting AARP cards for years. I'm convinced someone has played the best long-con prank of all time on me, I constantly get mail (and have for a long time) targeted to 60+ year olds. Some people have tried to tell me that it's on purpose, with the idea that I'll likely have parents old enough to be interested in hearing aids, Viking cruises, and free steak dinners to discuss my upcoming retirement.

I prefer to think that I have a friend devious enough to sign me up for all of that.

Forum Links
Forum Rules