Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > The Minor Irritant Thread

The Minor Irritant Thread (Page 5)
mindwaves
Aug 23, 2019, 09:49 AM

By the side, I didn’t mean dangling off on the side. I mean on the side of the seats but still on the seats. That way one can sit down right away when carrying a bunch of stuff without having to sit on something three dimensional underneath yourself. Another way which I just saw two days ago on my flight, is crossing the seatbelts but placing them near the back of the seats as opposed to the typical crossing them in the middle of the seats, I prefer this way over my proposed idea and the typical idea that I usually see. This way, can sit down right away without something underneath yourself.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 25, 2019, 01:18 PM

Can’t do a memory swap on my 2018 Mac Mini without a spudger and torx wrench.

I have both somewhere, but really don’t feel like bothering.

Demonhood
Administrator
Aug 25, 2019, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
Can’t do a memory swap on my 2018 Mac Mini without a spudger and torx wrench.

I have both somewhere, but really don’t feel like bothering.
Do what I did, buy the tools for $7 so you don't have to search around: https://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/TOOLKITMM18

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 26, 2019, 12:03 AM

I’m pretty sure I know where they are, I’m more irritated about it having fiddly bits in the first place. As gimped as mid-teen Minis are, memory swaps were a dream. Especially coming off the dual putty knife model.

I foolishly expected the same setup.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 26, 2019, 01:56 AM

Bananas which are too ripe and not ripe enough at the same time.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Aug 26, 2019, 08:52 AM

I’m pretty sure I know where they are, I’m more irritated about it having fiddly bits in the first place. As gimped as mid-teen Minis are, memory swaps were a dream. Especially coming off the dual putty knife model.

I foolishly expected the same setup.
I had an original Intel Mini, pretty sure that was the dual putty knife model. I felt like I was destroying the thing every time I popped it open.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Aug 26, 2019, 10:45 AM

You could fill this entire thread with Microsoft software irritations, but here's just one - when I start an email in Outlook then decide not to send it, it gets moved to the Deleted Items folder, but shows up AS AN UNREAD MESSAGE. So stupid.

mindwaves
Aug 27, 2019, 12:25 AM

For the bananas, I place peeled ripe bananas in a ziplock bag and freeze them. Good for a milkshake weeks later.

andi*pandi
Aug 27, 2019, 04:39 PM

Dont waste the plastic, just freeze in the peel. Then thaw and peel for milkshake or banana bread time.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 7, 2019, 09:20 AM

That they stopped making Lemon Cooler cookies.

Thorzdad
Sep 7, 2019, 03:16 PM

I’ve started getting spam texts on my phone. They appear to be legit texts that have been accidentally mis-sent to your number. That’s annoying. But, they’re occasionally entertaining. The one I got yesterday read:
No tacos tomorrow. The order wasn’t big enough.

I think the scam is that the message looks semi-important enough that you will text back to let them know they sent to the wrong number, thus confirming you’re a live number.

andi*pandi
Sep 7, 2019, 08:16 PM

it's awfully tempting to respond to those with nonsense spy sayings: "the burrito roars at noon"

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 9, 2019, 06:34 PM

Related to the spam text thing, I get spam calls from "almost my number." As in if my number is area code 210 987 1234, the spam calls come from 210 987 xxxx. That's not even close to my number, but the "987" part is the key to this scam. They expect you to say "oh, that must be someone I know!" The only people I know with the same "987" part (the "exchange" number" are my wife and son. I wish I could whitelist numbers on the iPhone, instead of only being able to block numbers...

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Thorzdad
Sep 9, 2019, 08:11 PM

I get those “almost my number” calls all the time. I just ignore them. Anyone who might be calling me is in my contacts.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 9, 2019, 08:30 PM

I see the psychology they’re trying for, but when it happens on my cellular, they’ve kinda shown their hand.

andi*pandi
Sep 9, 2019, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
Related to the spam text thing, I get spam calls from "almost my number." As in if my number is area code 210 987 1234, the spam calls come from 210 987 xxxx. That's not even close to my number, but the "987" part is the key to this scam. They expect you to say "oh, that must be someone I know!" The only people I know with the same "987" part (the "exchange" number" are my wife and son. I wish I could whitelist numbers on the iPhone, instead of only being able to block numbers...
You can block anyone who isn't in your contacts. You can also get YouMail, if it works with your provider. A great app until AT&T blocked it. :/

I can't block non-contacts because I have too many emails from school staff etc that I don't have as contacts.

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 10, 2019, 02:41 PM

I can’t block “everyone not in my contacts” for reasons similar to yours, Andi. But I have a clip from “Powerhouse” as my default ring tone, with custom tones assigned to numbers in my contacts. So when the phone rings and it plays “Powerhouse”, I look at the caller ID and decide whether or not to answer. Usually “not.” That’s the “minor” part of the irritant.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Sep 11, 2019, 09:08 AM

Ah, you're one of those old people that still lets their phone ring out loud and annoy everyone, huh?

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 11, 2019, 12:50 PM

Not really, and I am apparently one of the few people who understands that, if you're using a telephone you DON'T have to shout for the other person to hear you.

I also hold my cell phone (iPhone 8) like a telephone handset rather than a) a Star Trek Communicator (even I'm not cool enough to have a real Communicator), a PDA (the iPhone 8 is WAY more than a PDA), or some sort of slab-shaped hand microphone. Seeing other people holding their phones the wrong way is another of my minor irritants.

I get most of my spam calls at work where my phone is silent, so my Apple Watch tells me about it (it seems to have only one ring tone). I keep my watch off silent because I get messages from my team and manager by text and this lets me know about those. At work having my watch ring does not seem to annoy anyone.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Sep 12, 2019, 10:21 AM

Seeing other people holding their phones the wrong way is another of my minor irritants.

At work having my watch ring does not seem to annoy anyone.
"I have minor irritants."

"I can't fathom anything I do being a minor irritant to someone else."

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 12, 2019, 12:10 PM

I have to point out that my profession requires me to assess people's behaviors, both in a psychosocial sense and as adaptations to dysfunction and disability, and unfortunately for me I cannot turn that off.

So if I see you in public, yes, I AM evaluating you. Not judging, just evaluating. It's pretty astounding how many "normal" people out in public are really nowhere near what the textbooks describe as normal, either biomechanically or psychologically...

So anyway, since I can't avoid this assessment stuff, I notice a lot of it. And most of the "not holding it like a telephone" behaviors are both unnecessary affectations and mechanically inefficient. But they DO allow the person to make a big show of their conversation, and let EVERYONE in on what they're talking about... Which I think is worse than just having your phone ring unexpectedly in public. (I'm thinking about that Geico commercial from 2010 with the executive and his flip phone ring tone....)

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 12, 2019, 12:18 PM

If I’m on speakerphone, I do the thing where I hold it flat and point the mic at my mouth, but I don’t speakerphone out in public.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Sep 12, 2019, 02:19 PM

But they DO allow the person to make a big show of their conversation, and let EVERYONE in on what they're talking about... Which I think is worse than just having your phone ring unexpectedly in public.
"The stuff that other people do that annoys me is WAY WORSE than the stuff I do that annoys other people!"

prateekstp
Banned
Sep 13, 2019, 06:42 AM

So, I'm officiating at my son's upcoming wedding and, due to an extreme loss of weight, I needed to get a new dress shirt (to go along with a new suit) I had forgotten how ridiculous the packaging of men's dress shirts were. It's pretty obvious that the dress shirt industry is firmly in the pocket of Big Pin.

Echo...echo...echo...echo...
( Last edited by Thorzdad; Sep 13, 2019 at 07:41 AM. )

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Sep 13, 2019, 01:01 PM

Next Microsoft irritant - display scaling. I run dual monitors at my desk on an HP laptop. When I unplug the dual monitors and then open the laptop to use it away from my desk, the scaling is off and terrible and everything is blurry. I have to log out and log back in and suddenly everything is crystal clear. Until I plug my monitors back in, they everything on them is blurry until I log out and back in.

So now I just leave the laptop open on my desk and occasionally lose my cursor to the third screen.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Sep 13, 2019, 01:10 PM

Another quick one - in Outlook, if I start composing a new email, then decide not to send it, I'll close the window. Outlook will then ask me if I want to save it. Nope, don't save. So then Outlook moves that email from my Drafts folder to the Deleted folder, and SHOWS ME ONE UNREAD MESSAGE IN MY DELETED FOLDER. Why should I have to open my deleted folder and view the draft I already deleted just to get the unread status to clear?

Oh, and it's 2019 and Outlook still doesn't know what an email address is. Someone will send me a contact card as an attachement. I'll open the attachment which opens the contact card, but there's NO WAY TO SEND THAT PERSON AN EMAIL JUST BY CLICKING ONCE. I can find "email" in the ribbon, or if I double-click on their email address I get a new pop up showing me a contact card containing just that email address where I can click on that email address to send an email. Or if I click on the email address hyperlink in the contact card display, it takes me to a window where I can edit the contact card display.

And I can't just drag an email address to the address field. If I have an email that includes email addresses inside of it, even if they're already hyperlinks, I have to highlight and copy the email address itself, then paste it into the address window. Outlook sees it as a web hyperlink, not an email address. So if my boss received an email that had been sent to ten people, and forwards me that email and asks me to respond to everyone, there's no simple way to re-include all of the original recipients like clicking or dragging their names or email addresses or anything - each of them has to be painstakingly added one by one.

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 13, 2019, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
"The stuff that other people do that annoys me is WAY WORSE than the stuff I do that annoys other people!"
Well, yeah. But I’m a professional and all...

If I could just NOT notice this stuff now and then, I might just be able to ignore it most of the time.

Thorzdad
Sep 17, 2019, 04:49 PM

I had to get a new, semi-decent pair of pants this week. I pretty much live my life in jeans and a tee, so shopping for real clothes in general is a foreign concept to me. WTF is with every damned piece of clothing being stretchy? It all feels kinda...ew.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 17, 2019, 05:34 PM

Cotton, FTW.

andi*pandi
Sep 17, 2019, 06:47 PM

middle school principals who are bad at communication.

Thorzdad
Sep 17, 2019, 07:10 PM

Cotton, FTW.
Word

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 18, 2019, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
middle school principals who are bad at communication.
I feel this is a typical problem with management in general.

andi*pandi
Sep 18, 2019, 12:15 PM

Dear Principal Smith:
Group A would like to use a room after school, but not the same one Group B uses so we don't inconvenience them. Let me know if you want to chat!

Principal Smith:
You can share the same room as Group B. It is the only room that works for "your type of group." You guys figure out how to share it.
The room is home ec. The group is girl scouts. We know other rooms are empty.

ok maybe this is a major irritant.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 18, 2019, 12:40 PM

To be fair, though, I have no trouble understanding what Principal Smith is trying to communicate. Both directly, and via implication.

reader50
Administrator
Sep 18, 2019, 01:03 PM

"Lowlifes should be grouped together"?

I'm drawing a blank on serious reasons to force a camera crew to overlap a cookie squad. Maybe s/he is fishing for a cameo in exchange for another room.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 18, 2019, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
"Lowlifes should be grouped together"?
“Stop bothering me.”

andi*pandi
Sep 18, 2019, 03:00 PM

Correct. In asking why we have to share a room, when empty rooms abound, I nearly got myself sent to detention.

So. PrinciPAL he ain't.

mindwaves
Sep 18, 2019, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by Thorzdad View Post
I had to get a new, semi-decent pair of pants this week. I pretty much live my life in jeans and a tee, so shopping for real clothes in general is a foreign concept to me. WTF is with every damned piece of clothing being stretchy? It all feels kinda...ew.
I went shopping for long pants a few months back and discovered almost all jeans were slim fit or skinny fit. I just wanted normal pants!

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 18, 2019, 09:54 PM

Fall in to the Gap?

Thorzdad
Sep 18, 2019, 10:25 PM

Fall in to the Gap?
Oh, man. I just had the craziest flashback...Trying on bellbottoms down at the mall...Driving home in my mom’s Gremlin...

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 18, 2019, 11:48 PM

Oooh... my dad had a Gremlin.

IIUC, the rear wheels flew off, and then it was on to a Pinto.

reader50
Administrator
Sep 19, 2019, 12:20 AM

Vega for the win. My mom had one for a few years. Aluminum engine without sleeves. Buy lots of cheap oil, keep it in the car. Assorted other problems kept things interesting too.

Thorzdad
Sep 19, 2019, 06:30 AM

I knew a guy with a Cosworth Vega. God, that thing was fun. They probably wish they still had it. From what I understand, they're pretty collectable now.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Sep 26, 2019, 01:36 PM

Minor irritant: Some websites have no problems remembering who I am and keeping my logged-in status active. Some websites are apparently suffering dementia and totally forget me after like 7 seconds.

Do some websites just suck at implementing cookies properly?

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 26, 2019, 02:40 PM

Sometimes they forget their teeth aren’t in, and can’t chew the cookie.

andi*pandi
Sep 26, 2019, 02:47 PM

Its a Feature, for your Security, or Something.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 26, 2019, 04:35 PM

The one thing which irritates me about the death of print is magazines were great for the tub.

Same with mail order catalogs.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Sep 26, 2019, 04:57 PM

Tell Summit, Jegs, Harbor Freight, Eastwood, Northern Tool, and Speedway Motors that mail order catalogs are dead, because they keep sending them and I keep tossing them straight into the recycling bin before I even get inside the house.

Magazines were great for flying back when you couldn't use electronic devices during taxi, takeoff, and landing.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 30, 2019, 10:08 PM

Apparently Orville Redenbacher ruined Poppycock, so now I need to know what people do for nutcorn.

I’ve been getting by with Crunch and Munch, but that was always an inferior product. I’ll cut anyone who says Crackerjack.

mindwaves
Oct 1, 2019, 04:39 AM

Apparently Orville Redenbacher ruined Poppycock, so now I need to know what people do for nutcorn.

I’ve been getting by with Crunch and Munch, but that was always an inferior product. I’ll cut anyone who says Crackerjack.
Not nut corn, but maybe will satisfy your cravings: coated, roasted peanuts; wasabi peas; or pork rinds.

Forum Links
Forum Rules