Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > The Cabinet of Deplorables: Year Two thru 4

The Cabinet of Deplorables: Year Two thru 4 (Page 4)
Thorzdad
Jul 3, 2018, 11:16 PM

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jul 3, 2018, 11:21 PM

He said he'd leave after his interim posting expired, which is the least believable part of the story.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jul 4, 2018, 05:29 AM

Pruitt's successor at the EPA? Oscar The Grouch.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 4, 2018, 05:57 AM

Seems more like a job for Mr. Snuffleupagus.

Old Testament version.

reader50
Administrator
Jul 4, 2018, 11:01 AM

The most-investigated Cabinet member has the most to gain. By being placed in charge of most of his own investigations.

How do you escape Justice? There's a few ways, but this method is more comfortable than fleeing the country. Plus a pay raise I think.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jul 5, 2018, 03:50 PM

****ing finally

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 5, 2018, 03:52 PM

Down. Goe...

Beat me to it.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jul 5, 2018, 03:57 PM

Wonder what did it.

No seriously, there were so many reasons to choose from.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 5, 2018, 04:12 PM

Good question.

andi*pandi
Jul 5, 2018, 04:14 PM

vaguebookers, the lot of you. <checks news>

ah, excellent.

What do we think of Wheeler? Will he continue the "bright" agenda that Pruitt was following? He's a coal guy, apparently.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 5, 2018, 04:18 PM

I don’t like foisting my biased, crap news outlets on people who have their own biased, crap news outlets.

Thorzdad
Jul 5, 2018, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Wonder what did it.
No more cash left in the budget to spend on mattresses and pants?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jul 5, 2018, 05:24 PM

What do we think of Wheeler? Will he continue the "bright" agenda that Pruitt was following? He's a coal guy, apparently.
I mean, he's going to be about as bad (and seeing his work history worse than I'd have hoped) but at least he'll be only ****ing over via one avenue.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jul 6, 2018, 04:08 PM

Looks like Bill Shines wife is a huuuuge racist. Quell surprise. Guess they'll fit right in.

Thorzdad
Jul 10, 2018, 12:58 PM

andi*pandi
Jul 10, 2018, 02:38 PM

It's like a hydra. You chop off a head and two more sprout up.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jul 10, 2018, 09:22 PM

https://www.mediaite.com/tv/dana-bas...friend-or-foe/
Vice President Mike Pence gave two interviews tonight in which he was confronted on why President Trump could not give a straight answer to the question of whether Vladimir Putin is a friend or foe.

Trump instead sidestepped this morning and called Putin a “competitor” instead.

CNN’s Dana Bash pressed Pence on the topic, and the veep hedged a bit, talking about how the upcoming Trump-Putin summit will be an “opportunity” for the United States.

“How is somebody,” she asked, “who your own intelligence community says was involved in meddling in American elections not a foe of America?”

Pence went back to the word “competitor” that Trump used, adding, “I don’t think we have any illusions.”
The Royal Lap Dog avoids raising owner's ire.

Thorzdad
Jul 11, 2018, 11:48 AM

~Trump instead sidestepped this morning and called Putin a “competitor” instead.
~...the veep hedged a bit, talking about how the upcoming Trump-Putin summit will be an “opportunity” for the United States.
~Pence went back to the word “competitor” that Trump used, adding, “I don’t think we have any illusions.”
Meeting with a "competitor" is seen as an "opportunity"?
Sounds like a merger is in the offing.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jul 28, 2018, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
I could be completely wrong here. I'm not trying to convince anyone I'm correct. I was asked to explain why I feel sorry for Spicer, and I'm trying to explain it.

If I am correct, and what Priebus and Spicer want to do is keep Trump on a leash, they're kinda forced to be scummy. If they draw a line in the sand, they get fired.
Sean Spicer has written a book detailing his time working for President Donald Trump, and described the president as "a unicorn, riding a unicorn over a rainbow."
Now that he's gone Spicer has... zero backbone, zero remorse of what he's enabled. That change your opinion of him at all?

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 28, 2018, 08:09 PM

If he stays consistent with it, yes.

Right now is way too soon for him to break bad. He breaks bad now then he permanently goes down as a rat.

I’ve been working under the assumption his book is a cash grab.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jul 28, 2018, 08:39 PM

If he stays consistent with it, yes.

Right now is way too soon for him to break bad. He breaks bad now then he permanently goes down as a rat.

I’ve been working under the assumption his book is a cash grab.
That's a given. But he's also shown no criticism of Trump up to now and has gone as far as to defend him in the book interviews so far.

Thorzdad
Aug 8, 2018, 02:56 PM

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Aug 8, 2018, 08:33 PM

Because I don't know how Commerce is ****ing up the world, I'm not as outraged by this open-mouth breather as I should be.

It is interesting that he was under suit before the nom, if I read correctly.

subego
Clinically Insane
Aug 8, 2018, 08:58 PM

I tried closed-mouth breathing, but had to stop when I turned purple.

subego
Clinically Insane
Aug 10, 2018, 08:42 AM

That's a given. But he's also shown no criticism of Trump up to now and has gone as far as to defend him in the book interviews so far.
It seems to me like he’s trying to walk a line.

Like, say, the unicorn comment. Spicer says what makes him a unicorn is he can repeatedly do things which would end any other politician’s career.

There’s a little bit of backspin on that lob, no?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Aug 12, 2018, 06:51 PM

Omarosa

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Aug 12, 2018, 06:53 PM

It seems to me like he’s trying to walk a line.

Like, say, the unicorn comment. Spicer says what makes him a unicorn is he can repeatedly do things which would end any other politician’s career.

There’s a little bit of backspin on that lob, no?
'Little bit'? I can agree to that description.

subego
Clinically Insane
Aug 12, 2018, 07:18 PM

he's also shown no criticism of Trump up to now
'Little bit'? I can agree to that description.
Victory dance!

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Aug 12, 2018, 07:34 PM

That's not a criticism. That's a possible back-handed compliment.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Aug 15, 2018, 05:43 PM

Atheist
Mac Elite
Aug 17, 2018, 08:40 AM

At first glance you wonder how they can live together until you realize neither of them has any convictions one way or another. It's all just a game. Similar to James Carville and Mary Matalin.

reader50
Administrator
Aug 20, 2018, 02:13 PM

Interior Secretary Ryan Zinke this time. He's found a way to save money. By zeroing out climate research, etc. By giving a high-paid job to his high school football buddy.
At the beginning of 2018, interior secretary Ryan Zinke instated a new requirement that scientific funding above $50,000 must undergo an additional review to ensure expenditures “better align with the administration’s priorities”.
Steve Howke, one of Zinke’s high-school football teammates, oversees this review. Howke’s highest degree is a bachelor’s in business administration. Until Zinke appointed him {...} Howke had spent his entire career working in credit unions.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Aug 22, 2018, 06:58 PM

It really galls me how easy it is to hire people who have no related experience to oversee government.

reader50
Administrator
Aug 22, 2018, 08:21 PM

Someone should point out to Trump that Zinke is worth less than a million. As a poor person, he shouldn't be in charge of anything.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Sep 22, 2018, 05:11 PM

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/fede...ry?id=57998606
A federal judge has ordered U.S. Secretary of Commerce Wilbur Ross be deposed over a decision to reinstate a question regarding citizenship status to the upcoming 2020 census, court documents show.
Ross began considering whether to reinstate the question shortly after he was appointment in February 2017, "well before" the Department of Justice made a formal request to do so on Dec. 12, according to the order, which cited earlier submissions made by Ross.

Ross manifested an "unusually strong personal interest in the matter," Furman wrote, adding that the secretary demanded to know as early as May 2017 why no action had been taken on his months-old request — seven months before the formal DOJ request was made.
He lied to congress about this.

Thorzdad
Nov 16, 2018, 06:05 PM

Betsy DeVos is racking-up quite the security bill. An even higher security price tag than Pruitt’s.

reader50
Administrator
Nov 16, 2018, 06:57 PM

Two years in, and I'm finally wondering. Why does Trump hire so many corrupt people for high-level positions?

It's a steady embarrassment, and often results in Trump firing them. Surely he can find flunkies who will do the hatchet jobs he wants. Without stuffing their pockets, taking expensive vacation flights on the taxpayer, etc. Just do the dirty work quietly, without being obviously crooked.

If you wanted to hire a hitman on someone, you don't hire the part-time rock star. Who gives press conferences before and after the hit, does some handy pickpockets along the way, and acquires a parking ticket during the hit.

Instead, you hire the no-drama hitman. Victim dies, er, because he fell down the steps. And relatives find a suicide note on his computer after, just in case there are any tells at the scene. No one is seen fleeing the scene, and your man has an alibi in another town.

andi*pandi
Nov 16, 2018, 08:26 PM

The good hitmen are the ones who whispered in his ear: You should run.

Thorzdad
Nov 18, 2018, 12:41 AM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
Two years in, and I'm finally wondering. Why does Trump hire so many corrupt people for high-level positions?

It's a steady embarrassment, and often results in Trump firing them. Surely he can find flunkies who will do the hatchet jobs he wants.
My guess is he likes them because they’re grifters just like him. They all speak the same language. Birds of a feather, y’know.

OreoCookie
Nov 19, 2018, 02:55 AM

Trump hires people he is most comfortable having around himself. He has a history of unsavory business associates, including members and associates of the mob. There is literally a book on that from the early 1990s. We should all believe Trump that he is showing who he is, and not overcomplicate things.
It's a steady embarrassment, and often results in Trump firing them. Surely he can find flunkies who will do the hatchet jobs he wants. Without stuffing their pockets, taking expensive vacation flights on the taxpayer, etc. Just do the dirty work quietly, without being obviously crooked.
That's something I find it hard to understand. Take Scott Pruitt, who has already resigned a while ago. Was he the only Republican who wanted to cut regulations or could the Trump administration have found someone without all these extraordinary and extracurricular spending habits?
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 19, 2018, 01:02 PM

No one had the resume of disdain for the EPA that Pruitt did.

andi*pandi
Nov 19, 2018, 02:13 PM

No one else paid more.

andi*pandi
Dec 22, 2018, 12:31 AM

What do you yell when you fill all the spots on the BINGO card? I think we're close.

https://www.principallyuncertain.com...cabinet-bingo/
or

John Kelly OUT. Who will be America’s Next Top Adult In The Room? Who’s gonna keep the White House running so smoothly? Who will be the next to go?!
#TheCelebrityAppresident
@TheDailyShow

Thorzdad
Dec 22, 2018, 12:44 AM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
what do you yell when you fill all the spots on the bingo card? I think we're close.
It’s great again!

Thorzdad
Jan 24, 2019, 12:53 PM

reader50
Administrator
Jan 24, 2019, 02:05 PM

Most Americans have less than $1000 saved. As monthly spending is usually above that, they live paycheck-to-paycheck. Wages have not kept up with inflation. Mr Ross (net worth $700M) could miss paychecks all his life and not suffer.

I'd go to a foodbank rather than go into debt. Even if backpay is guaranteed (and loan interest rate is zero), you still put your assets on the line. Dependent on Trump keeping his word on the backpay. If he later denies saying that, your home or car could vanish.

According to fact checkers, Trump averages about 10 false or misleading statements per day since taking office. And has occasionally gone above 100 in a day. If I were a laid-off federal worker with a family, how could I go into debt, dependent on Trump keeping his word? He's publicly talked about a shutdown lasting years. Even without interest, that loan could pass $30K. Enough to take the car, and endanger the house. And what if we rent?

Thorzdad
Apr 8, 2019, 04:51 PM

Down goes Nielsen.
Secret Service director Randolph Alles has been told to hit the highway, as well.

Thorzdad
Jul 12, 2019, 10:03 AM

Down goes Acosta.

Thorzdad
Sep 10, 2019, 01:58 PM

Down goes Bolton.
Or, maybe Bolton took himself out? The twitter war hasn’t resolved itself as yet.

reader50
Administrator
Sep 10, 2019, 02:21 PM

Wilbur Ross (Secretary of Commerce) may be in trouble too.
The US secretary of commerce, Wilbur Ross, is facing calls for his resignation after it was reported that he had threatened to fire senior staff at a federal agency unless they sided publicly with Donald Trump in the rumbling dispute dubbed “Sharpiegate”.

The New York Times, citing three anonymous officials, reported that Ross had called Neil Jacobs, the acting administrator of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (Noaa), last Friday and warned that heads would roll unless the agency’s disagreement with the US president over the path of Hurricane Dorian was smoothed over.
This is about "sharpiegate", where someone (suspected to be Trump) altered a weather forecast map to show Alabama was threatened by Dorian. To avoid potential panic during an emergency, the Birmingham (Alabama) office of NOAA clarified that Alabama was not in danger.

It seems that to avoid embarrassing Trump, even during emergencies, weather scientists are supposed to support false statements about who's in danger.

Forum Links
Forum Rules