Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Can't convert old quicktime

Can't convert old quicktime
kevs
Mac Elite
Sep 29, 2019, 02:47 PM

I have a few quicktime files about 10 years old. My Mac says it's converting it, then konks out. So stumped how to open them. Thanks.

andi*pandi
Sep 29, 2019, 03:06 PM

what is extension of file? .mov, .mp4, ?

kevs  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 29, 2019, 03:39 PM

Thanks Andi, it has none. I did add a .mov (to test conversion), and did not help the conversion, or whatever internal conversion I have, not sure even what is driving that... the conversion thing..... so stuck.

andi*pandi
Sep 29, 2019, 04:01 PM

do you have quicktime pro? how do you know these are quicktime files?

reader50
Administrator
Sep 29, 2019, 04:23 PM

No file extension typically means pre-OSX. ie - OS 9 quicktime files. Which makes them closer to 20 years old. Do you have a copy of OS9 around to look them over? We could use the creator and type codes to determine the file type.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 29, 2019, 06:12 PM

Does VLC Open them?

kevs  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 30, 2019, 03:22 PM

thanks, all. Andi I don't see QT pro in my app folder. this cost to buy?

Reader where do I find creator codes? It was made maybe 12 years ago tops for sure. 2007 about.

S my vcl, seems to be dated, I googled vcl, but got a scammy site, top position. Have a trusted vcl link I can update and try?

Thorzdad
Sep 30, 2019, 03:44 PM

reader50
Administrator
Sep 30, 2019, 03:52 PM

VLC, not vcl. videolan.org

Type and Creator codes are used for file / app mapping in OS9 and earlier. OSX retains them in the filesystem, but mostly uses other methods to determine which app opens a file.

If VLC can't open the file, download HexEdit and use it to open your file. At the top of the window, the Type/Creator code will be listed if present. Otherwise, copy the first row of characters from the file itself (from the text field on right) and post them here. Those are usually enough to figure out the file type.

kevs  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 30, 2019, 04:09 PM

Thor, thats the same scam link... "click continue to get strated... I need link wtihout the scam adverising: Forcing an add of search hub.

I've seen this before on other site, very annoying, It could their site has been hacked who knows

kevs  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 30, 2019, 04:13 PM

This may require another post. This bizarre forced asking about joining search hub, when you download.. Now lost on that issue. Anyone have clean way to download VLC.

Sorry reader don't know what this means "copy the first row of characters from the file itself"

reader50
Administrator
Sep 30, 2019, 04:28 PM

Not sure what you mean on VLC, perhaps try another browser. I click the blue download button, it begins downloading in a few seconds. No ad begging, or anything to join.

The green line circles where the Type and Creator codes would appear, if the file has them.

HexEdit is a hexadecimal editor. The hexcode version of the file in on the left side (yellow highlighter), with a human-readable text translation on right (circled in purple).

If the Type and Creator are present, post them for us. And / or copy the first line of human-readable text (circled in purple) and post that here. There may (or may not) be additional readable text below the first line. In this example, it tells us it's mpeg4 video encoded with H.264, using VLC. Not all video files will have human-readable info, but the first line is usually enough to identify the file type.

kevs  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 30, 2019, 04:35 PM

Thanks Reader, great, now downloading ok, so see how this goes, and then if no good, try your code idea. Best

christ
Professional Poster
Oct 3, 2019, 09:10 AM

I think that I would throw the files at handbrake and see what happens.
Chris. T.

"... in 6 months if WMD are found, I hope all clear-thinking people who opposed the war will say "You're right, we were wrong -- good job". Similarly, if after 6 months no WMD are found, people who supported the war should say the same thing -- and move to impeach Mr. Bush." - moki, 04/16/03

kevs  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 3, 2019, 04:08 PM

Handbrake, I have, not sure how to open video, with vlc drag easier.

Forum Links
Forum Rules