Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Is AirTunes really as rubbish as it seems?

Is AirTunes really as rubbish as it seems?
Thorzdad
Oct 7, 2019, 05:19 PM

I have an Airport Express hooked up to my stereo downstairs. I use Airtunes to stream Pandora (or other such things) from my iPad to the Airport, so I can listen to stuff while I work in the kitchen. But, good god, the AirTunes connection seems to be fragile as hell.

Often, the stream will keep cutting in and out. Sometimes, it will suddenly jump back to playing through the iPad, and I have to go back and re-link to the Airport. At first, I thought it was Pandora, but it seems to do this no matter what source on the iPad.

One thing I have never been clear about...When I stream from the iPad to the Airport Express, is the connection direct between the two, or does the connection travel through my AirportExtreme router?

Similarly, I have an AppleTV hooked to my tv. I often use the iPad to stream the Amazon Prime app to the AppleTV. Sometimes, I get similar dropouts to the ones I get using AirTunes. It’s all very frustrating.

FWIW, the iPad is never more than 15-20 feet from the Express, and has a clear sight. If everything goes through the router, it’s quite a bit further away upstairs. But, there are no dropouts if I’m just playing the apps on the iPad, and not streaming them.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Oct 7, 2019, 06:36 PM

i don't think iOS supports multiple networks

streaming from the iPad to the express takes 3x as much bandwidth as streaming from the site.

web => iPad.
iPad => router
router => express

is the express on ethernet?

Thorzdad  (op)
Oct 8, 2019, 08:20 AM

No. The Express is wifi.

hab
Forum Regular
Oct 11, 2019, 04:56 AM

I have similar AirTunes issues routinely using my iPhone to play music to a WiFi connected Express connected to my Living Room stereo amplifier. I always attributed it to either 1) my ancient Time Capsule router based network, 2) my thick walls; 3) or occasional Comcast bandwidth issues when macOS is prioritizing network services or iCloud backups. Never been able to figure it our. For the most part things work fine but occasionally it is a real annoyance.
21.5" iMac 2.7GHz i5; 15" FP iMac 0.8GHz G4, iPhone 5S

Forum Links
Forum Rules