Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > TextWrangler now free

TextWrangler now free
a2daj
Mac Elite
Jan 11, 2005, 11:56 PM

Those of you who are still looking for a text editor to try out and most likely not use because it's still not as powerful enough for you since it's not equal to TextPad on the PC, or you're still using BBEdit Lite, TextWrangler 2.0 has been released and it's now free.

For those of you who don't know TextWrangler 1.0 = BBEdit Lite + $50 + a couple of features I'd never use. TextWrangler 2.0 = TextWrangler 1.0 - $50. It can save files to remote FTP servers for one thing.

I never bothered downloading TextWrangler before so this may have been around in 1.0, but in 2.0 you can have one viewable window but multiple docs open. You can use a drawer or dropdown menu to switch between documents.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Jan 12, 2005, 09:16 AM

I'd always been under the impression that TextWrangler had no HTML syntax coloring support; that this had been left as a BBEdit feature. Either I was mistaken, or they added it for 2.0.

I was a Pepper fan for a long time, but I'll have to check this out. Perhaps this would make a good successor?
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

gzeus
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 12, 2005, 02:55 PM

Yes! I kept BBedit lite around for its well implemented multi-file search, but good riddance to its antiquated 31 character file name limit. Between this and the Marathon release, it's turning into a great MacWorld for freebies.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jan 12, 2005, 03:25 PM

Hey, this app uses the Cocoa spell checker! And the Control-A and Control-E shortcuts work!

This seems like a very nice improvement over BBEdit Lite. I really like the ability to save right onto an SFTP server (yes, it supports SFTP, not just FTP!).

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Agent69
Mac Elite
Jan 12, 2005, 03:34 PM

I ended up going with SubEthaEdit but I may have to give this a try.
Agent69

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Jan 12, 2005, 04:48 PM

Well, I tried TW out, and I'm in love. I'm not much of a fan of the document drawer, though; does anyone know how to disable it and go back to one document per window?

[EDIT: Never mind; I found the preferences for it.]

JHromadka
Mac Elite
Jan 13, 2005, 07:11 PM

How do you keep the drawer from opening the first time TW is launched? Is there a way to change the document space border? I changed it so that it soft wraps text to the window, but the white part is still at 80 characters.

threestain
Mac Elite
Jan 13, 2005, 08:22 PM

For the drawer - go to preferences and under documents there are options for the drawer
For wrapping go to editor defaults and window at the bottom.

I'm pretty sure if you play around a bit it'll sort itself out.

I really really like this - nice and clean and easy. Nicer even than subethaedit. I've already switched over, but very glad there is no fee, as wouldn't need half the features!

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jan 13, 2005, 08:46 PM

Still no Ruby love.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

:dragonflypro:
Senior User
Jan 13, 2005, 09:15 PM

What ever happened to HyperEdit? I think development stopped.

It's ability to display relative CSS files in its Web Preview was it.

It had so much promise.

TW is nice, the lack of a web preview is sort a breaker for me.

T

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Jan 13, 2005, 09:25 PM

Originally posted by a2daj:
Those of you who are still looking for a text editor to try out and most likely not use because it's still not as powerful enough for you since it's not equal to TextPad on the PC, or you're still using BBEdit Lite, TextWrangler 2.0 has been released and it's now free.

For those of you who don't know TextWrangler 1.0 = BBEdit Lite + $50 + a couple of features I'd never use. TextWrangler 2.0 = TextWrangler 1.0 - $50. It can save files to remote FTP servers for one thing.
Geez; talk about damning something with faint praise. What exactly are you looking for from Textpad that you haven't been able to find on the Mac?

a2daj  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 14, 2005, 06:07 AM

Actually, I don't use Textpad on the PC. But I have a lot of friends who are Switchers that still complain about not being able to find a good Mac text editor as goood as TextPad on the PC. FtR, I like TextWrangler a lot. I finally have a replacement for BBEdit Lite.

Phil Sherry
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 14, 2005, 06:12 AM

Originally posted by Chuckit:
Still no Ruby love.
can't you just use the BBEdit Ruby plug-in module? i'm not at a mac right now, so i can't check for myself.

i wish BBEdit would ship with some MySQL lovin', instead of having to use a third-party module.

mmurray
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 14, 2005, 08:27 AM

Does anyone know how BareBones are planning to make any money out of this ? I can't see many people buying BBEdit 8 anymore. I'm happy for a free app but I'd hate to see BB go out of business.

Michael

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Jan 14, 2005, 08:53 AM

Originally posted by mmurray:
Does anyone know how BareBones are planning to make any money out of this ? I can't see many people buying BBEdit 8 anymore. I'm happy for a free app but I'd hate to see BB go out of business.
BBEdit still has a strong following among Web developers, and it has many more tools geared towards HTML editing than TextWrangler does. Personally I'm happy with TextWrangler and BBTidy, but that's just me.

BareBones has several other products out there as well, and these should continue to do well among their followers.

tikki
Mac Elite
Jan 15, 2005, 11:49 PM

Originally posted by :dragonflypro::
What ever happened to HyperEdit? I think development stopped.
The developer graduated and now works at Apple (assuming you are talking about TumultCo's HyperEdit)

austinjackson
Jan 16, 2005, 02:59 PM

Does anyone know how to get better syntax coloring or a PHP + HTML coloring module like SubEthaEdit? I prefer the syntax coloring in SubEthaEdit, but like everything else about TextWrangler.
Austin Jackson
EducatorsHandbook.com - because great decisions are based on great data.

osxisfun
Jan 16, 2005, 03:23 PM

bbedit's major "pops" in revenue seem to be for the upgrades...

i bought the 8.0 upgrade and overall very happy. i would like to see a project drawer similar to xcode in the next rev though.

code folding would be neat too.

el_humpo
Forum Regular
Jan 16, 2005, 03:28 PM

I've been using TW since Pepper went the way of the dodo. The new upgrade is very nice indeed. And since it supports BBEdit 8's `Codeless Languange Modules`, it should be easy to add syntax highlighting for new languages.
Is this rock and roll, or
a form of state control?

Forum Links
Forum Rules