Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iOS Apps > Swipe to the Left and emails Vanish from iphone 6

Swipe to the Left and emails Vanish from iphone 6
jeff k
Mac Elite
Feb 21, 2016, 12:02 AM

Anyone else see this? There is no more trash icon either in the swipe or the open view on an email on ilphone 6.
When I swipe to left quickly the emails just vanish; I have no idea where they go. Not find-able after that.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Feb 21, 2016, 04:42 PM

They are in your Trash folder.

Swipe a bit, get options. Swipe all the way across, delete the emails. It even shows you as you're doing it.

jeff k  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 21, 2016, 09:40 PM

Thanks S. I does not say anything on the full swipe, and I don't see then in trash folder either.

"It even shows you as you're doing it."
What is it showing?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Feb 22, 2016, 03:51 AM

The whole email goes BRIGHT RED as you swipe, and shows a trash can. It is impossible to miss.

It is moved to the Trash folder (or Archive folder) for that account.

P
Feb 22, 2016, 10:08 AM

It is actually quite hard to get the menu to show on a 4" phone in standing orientation. The best way to get that menu is to do a short, quick swipe from the right, but then you don't see the menu slowly show up as you're doing it. That is one of the weaknesses of the iOS interface - there is no discoverability.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

jeff k  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 22, 2016, 04:58 PM

Thanks P and S
I just looked again, swipe to the left, used to have that red trash/ delete, no more: only More, Archive, and Flag. Where did it go?

I don't know if this is related, but I moved to the Google apps server for all my key email two weeks ago. Ironically, the Gmail app is very clear, you checkbox the email and click the trash icon.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Feb 22, 2016, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by jeff k View Post
Thanks P and S
I just looked again, swipe to the left, used to have that red trash/ delete, no more: only More, Archive, and Flag. Where did it go?
Google Mail doesn't have an immediate "Trash" option. Everything is "archived" when you delete it.

Mail in any other account will show the Trash.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Feb 22, 2016, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by P View Post
It is actually quite hard to get the menu to show on a 4" phone in standing orientation. The best way to get that menu is to do a short, quick swipe from the right, but then you don't see the menu slowly show up as you're doing it. That is one of the weaknesses of the iOS interface - there is no discoverability.
These are shortcuts for actions that can be performed the discoverable way by selecting the e-mail first.

jeff k  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 22, 2016, 05:46 PM

Did not understand much of that S.

There is google mail and then google mail app, so it can get confusing. I do see trash icon with Gmail app.

But bottom line: my iphone - there is no red delete anymore, it's gone.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Feb 23, 2016, 07:37 AM

If you aren't using the gmail app, mail is not deleted; it's "archived".

P
Feb 23, 2016, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
These are shortcuts for actions that can be performed the discoverable way by selecting the e-mail first.
I know, but shortcuts on the Mac are discoverable by reading in the menus or hovering over a button.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

P
Feb 23, 2016, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by jeff k View Post
Did not understand much of that S.

There is google mail and then google mail app, so it can get confusing. I do see trash icon with Gmail app.

But bottom line: my iphone - there is no red delete anymore, it's gone.
If you are using Apple Mail, swipe left will archive a message on a Gmail account and delete it otherwise. How it works in the Gmail app is more than I know.

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 23, 2016, 09:45 PM

The Gmail app does not support swipe to the left, but swipe to the RIGHT brings up a button to archive the message.

Jeff, the weirdness here is because Gmail doesn't work like most other email systems. It even uses a different kind of IMAP protocol. Google Mail doesn't "like" to delete stuff, and the iOS Mail app knows that. So when you try to swipe left on a message from a Gmail account, Mail only offers you the options Gmail wants to give you. Where mail that came from another system will accept "trash", Gmail won't, so with the iOS Mail app, you get "Archive" instead of "Trash."

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

jeff k  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 23, 2016, 10:30 PM

I found out the solution: iphone, account settings, change archive to trash. Do either of you use Gmail to host your email?

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 24, 2016, 09:28 PM

I have multiple Gmail accounts for different professional purposes. I also have other accounts hosted by POP and IMAP servers. All of the accounts I run with the Gmail app are Gmail accounts, but I use the Mail app for some Gmail accounts as well. I typically trash mails using the trash button (in either the Mail app or the Gmail app), so I never worried about the swipe-left behavior.

jeff k  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 24, 2016, 10:16 PM

Thanks G. Do you find Gmail has some odd issues with Mail?

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 25, 2016, 09:41 PM

Gmail uses a modification of the IMAP protocol, so it isn't quite like other mail systems. The iOS Mail app accommodates these modifications, but what you think are "issues" are likely just the limits Gmail puts on what a client can do with Gmail messages.

Forum Links
Forum Rules