Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Login Items loading order

Login Items loading order
Douglashh
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 8, 2009, 04:06 PM

Is there any way to get the Login Items to show in the order I would like? I've deleted all of them and put them in the order I'd like but they still show in a different order in the menu bar. Is there a plist file that may be corrupt I could delete and start anew.

I'm using 10.5.7

Thanks

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 8, 2009, 05:04 PM

"Menu bar"? You mean Dock?

Just drag the items into the order you want them on the Dock. They will remain there.

ide3308
Jul 8, 2009, 05:14 PM

i think the problem is the order that "start on login" items are launching

Douglashh  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 8, 2009, 07:33 PM

I mean the menu bar not the Dock.

Douglashh  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 8, 2009, 07:33 PM

So how do I fix the launch order of the Login items?

cgc
Professional Poster
Jul 8, 2009, 08:05 PM

Why do you think the order they are on the menubar isn't indicative of the order in which they launch? I ask this because you can drag some menubar items around to rearrange them (via command-right mouse button click drag).

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 8, 2009, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by cgc View Post
Why do you think the order they are on the menubar isn't indicative of the order in which they launch? I ask this because you can drag some menubar items around to rearrange them (via command-right mouse button click drag).
It's CMD-Left button. It doesn't work for all items in the menu bar, like Spotlight, but it seems to work for most of them. Even the clock.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Douglashh  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 8, 2009, 09:17 PM

I have an old mouse with no left or right buttons. Is there a key command for left and/or right button?

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jul 8, 2009, 09:40 PM

If you have a one-button mouse, your button is the left button. Just command-drag.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Professional Poster
Jul 8, 2009, 10:54 PM

Pretty sure he's talking about third party menu bar apps, which don't use Apple's secret menu bar API so they can't be dragged. They appear in the order, right to left, of when they were launched.

cgc
Professional Poster
Jul 9, 2009, 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by adamfishercox View Post
Pretty sure he's talking about third party menu bar apps, which don't use Apple's secret menu bar API so they can't be dragged. They appear in the order, right to left, of when they were launched.
My point was, if they can be ordered, it would imply that the order on the menubar has nothing to do with the order they load at login. I meant command-left...brain-farted when I typed that earlier.

Douglashh  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 9, 2009, 01:08 AM

Adamfishercox is correct, the apps I working with are 3rd party. Is there any any way to change the launch order.

BTW my mouse has NO buttons at all. I can just click.

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 9, 2009, 01:41 AM

Originally Posted by Douglashh View Post
Then you can only left-click. Every other kind of click will make you push buttons while you click.

cgc
Professional Poster
Jul 9, 2009, 09:37 PM

Funny, for some reason that reminded me of a quote from an Army soldier after the first Gulf War. When asked if US space-based assets were valuable in the war the soldier replied, "no, I only needed my weapon and my GPS."

Hint: GPS uses satellites...

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 9, 2009, 09:50 PM

Funny, for some reason that reminded me of a quote from an Army soldier after the first Gulf War. When asked if US space-based assets were valuable in the war the soldier replied, "no, I only needed my weapon and my GPS."

Hint: GPS uses satellites...
Obviously "space-based assets" meant something different to him than satellites. The manual for the then-current GPS receiver (and all the civilian ones that were sent to the troops by their families) make it abundantly clear that it's a satellite receiver. I can't help but think that the Soldier thought the question was about something very different from GPS.

And obviously Douglashh was thinking about the multiple buttons on modern mice-like my MightyMouse, which has three obvious "buttons" plus the non-obvious left and right click functions...

Maybe I'm being pedantic about it, but your post did come across as kind of snarky.

Douglashh  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 10, 2009, 01:09 AM

I did not take it as snarky at all.

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 10, 2009, 11:05 AM

I did not take it as snarky at all.
I guess I was just sensitive at the time...

pendragon
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 10, 2009, 11:16 AM

FWIW: TinkerTool: Description has a preference to change the load order/appearance of icons in the Menu Bar of third party apps.

It's been my experience that it works with some, but not all apps. Why that is, I dunno.
Harv
27" i7 iMac (10.10.3), iPhone 5 (iOS 8.3)
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire

Douglashh  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 10, 2009, 04:05 PM

Thanks pendragon I'll give that a look.

cgc
Professional Poster
Jul 10, 2009, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
Obviously "space-based assets" meant something different to him than satellites. The manual for the then-current GPS receiver (and all the civilian ones that were sent to the troops by their families) make it abundantly clear that it's a satellite receiver. I can't help but think that the Soldier thought the question was about something very different from GPS.

And obviously Douglashh was thinking about the multiple buttons on modern mice-like my MightyMouse, which has three obvious "buttons" plus the non-obvious left and right click functions...

Maybe I'm being pedantic about it, but your post did come across as kind of snarky.
No, it just struck me when I read the comment about the "no buttons on my mouse" to be in the same vein as the "hey we don't need no space assets, we just need these GPS devices...'

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 10, 2009, 06:15 PM

No, it just struck me when I read the comment about the "no buttons on my mouse" to be in the same vein as the "hey we don't need no space assets, we just need these GPS devices...'
As I said, I must have been over sensitive about something. Probably about this idiocy, actually. Sorry for the rant.

On topic: I currently have two items (other than Spotlight) in my menubar that don't move. They're both from third-party apps: Missing Sync and Norton AntiVirus. I would consider both of these companies "good to very good" in terms of using available APIs to integrate their products correctly. So I think I have to agree with adamfishercox that this is something caused by Apple not letting developers use the appropriate API for completely and correctly integrating menubar items. I think it's kind of odd that they'd freeze out developers this way, too.

Douglashh  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 11, 2009, 02:16 AM

Gave TinkerTool a try and it made things worse. Even after having Tinkertool reset everything to system defaults. By worse I mean that it moved the app icon further to the right and I want it all the way to the left.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 11, 2009, 11:45 AM

Maybe you need to write a short Applescript to launch the items in the right order, and then put the script app in your login items?

Douglashh  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 11, 2009, 01:09 PM

I think writing an Applescript is a bit about my pay grade. I'll just live with it the way it is. I can always quit the app and relaunch to get it into the position I want.

Forum Links
Forum Rules