Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Airport Extreme Best Router for Mac?

Airport Extreme Best Router for Mac?
sogbrightlight
Forum Regular
Sep 5, 2009, 07:40 PM

I really am not big into wireless networking and don't know too much about it. Reading about the Airport Extreme it seems to be a good setup. However I read some bad reviews on apple.com and am hesitant to pull the trigger. Is there a better router to be had that won't have me jumping through hoops to set it up with Snow Leopard?

I'm open to all suggestions.

I'm feeling bottleneck on my current router which is why I want to upgrade.
Bla Bla Bla

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Sep 5, 2009, 07:53 PM

The AirPort Extreme is expensive, but it has a USB port that can be either used as a print server, or to connect a USB hard drive for an instant Time Capsule. If that's useful to you, you may want the AE. Otherwise, you could get a Linksys or something. Avoid Netgear, though.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

ide3308
Sep 5, 2009, 08:55 PM

You really can't beat the simplicity of AE. I've had one for about 6 years and have THREE at home now... Airport Extreme, Airport Express G, and Airport Express N. Go for it!

sogbrightlight  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 5, 2009, 09:02 PM

Well I'm trying to avoid a bottleneck also with an older macbook being used in my household. Does the dual-band of the airport extreme provide a bypass on that issue?
Bla Bla Bla

ide3308
Sep 5, 2009, 09:07 PM

Well are you talking about B/G or G/N? If the latter, yes.

sogbrightlight  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 5, 2009, 10:42 PM

I want to say it was a G. How do I tell though for sure?
Bla Bla Bla

ide3308
Sep 6, 2009, 12:55 AM

If you're connected to a network, the easiest way I can think of is to go to Applications > Utilities > Network Utility, select you Airport, and you should be able to tell by the Link Speed. It's most likely G, unless your computer is super old.

sogbrightlight  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 6, 2009, 03:31 PM

Well I pulled the trigger on it. It's pretty nice having the dual band and being able to set up a guest network for the slow computers.
Bla Bla Bla

zerock
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 6, 2009, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by sogbrightlight View Post
Well I pulled the trigger on it. It's pretty nice having the dual band and being able to set up a guest network for the slow computers.
umm the guest network doesn't have to do anything with the wireless band just in case you meant G for slow computers. Dual band is setup by default in the main wireless network you set up. Guest Network is a different feature.

sogbrightlight  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 6, 2009, 10:24 PM

Well either way it works great.
Bla Bla Bla

cspuryear
Sep 8, 2009, 02:48 PM

I was totally unsatisfied w/ my D-Link DGL-4300. I bit the bullet this weekend and purchased an AE. It was up-and-running in less than 5 minutes w/ WPA/WPA2 security, and the range is better than the D-Link. It is a little pricey, but from what I understand it's VERY low maintenance.
--------Insert Catchy Tagline Here--------

Forum Links
Forum Rules