Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Car tire question

Car tire question
mindwaves
May 22, 2015, 05:32 PM

There seems to be many car guys here or at least people knowledgeable about cars. I own a 2015 Honda CR-V FWD with Continental CrossContact tires (default tires). A couple of weeks ago, I drove over a large screw that punctured the sidewalk of one of the rear tires (just a few thousand miles on the odometer). It is unrepairable. I took it to Sam's Club and had both of the rear tires replaced with Michellin Defenders the same size (a highly rated tire of 90,000 miles guarantee).

Is this a wise choice or should I have gotten all four tires replaced with Michellins? Sam's didn't have the Continentals, so I didn't replace one tire and Walmart would have been a special order. Also, I have been unhappy with the Continentals as cornering seems to be poor. That is one reason why I went with the Michellins. Driving with the Michellins on the back and Continentals seem to handle the same with equivalent gas mileage and road noise.

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
May 22, 2015, 05:46 PM

It's not a problem. If your car was 4WD it may be a concern (depending on your differential) if the tires on separate axles are different sizes. Since you matching tires on the axles it should be fine, just keep it in mine when you have your tires rotated.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
May 22, 2015, 08:01 PM

You did fine and it's good that the new ones are in the back.
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr

mindwaves  (op)
May 23, 2015, 12:38 AM

Thanks, I'll keep everything as is then.

iMOTOR
Mac Elite
May 23, 2015, 01:11 AM

Next question is: when do you rotate on a FWD car when the front have more miles than the back?

mindwaves  (op)
May 23, 2015, 03:41 AM

Originally Posted by iMOTOR View Post
Next question is: when do you rotate on a FWD car when the front have more miles than the back?
Sam's Club will rotate the rear tires for free. Just have to pay to rotate the front which is cheap. I will rotate them at the same time. The front tires only have a few thousand on them. Marginal costs.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
May 23, 2015, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by iMOTOR View Post
I would still hold to the regular rotation schedule for the new tires, otherwise they're going to wear abnormally. The rears will have already been broken in, so to speak, and they should more closely match the front.
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
May 23, 2015, 08:44 AM

I got spanked for a pair of front tires the other day. I left the ones I had on for way too long because I didn't have the time or cash to buy any and when I got them changed on of the stupid locking wheel nuts had completely seized. They had to weld a handle onto the bolt to undo the damn thing. Theres still one on the back too
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

el chupacabra
Mac Elite
May 23, 2015, 10:56 AM

Is there salt on the roads where you're at?

mindwaves  (op)
May 23, 2015, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by el chupacabra View Post
No salt. In fact, the State of California is in a major drought right now. However, my neighbors' lawns are as green as ever.

P
May 23, 2015, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
I got spanked for a pair of front tires the other day. I left the ones I had on for way too long because I didn't have the time or cash to buy any and when I got them changed on of the stupid locking wheel nuts had completely seized. They had to weld a handle onto the bolt to undo the damn thing. Theres still one on the back too
Yup, that's always fun. Living in a country where you switch tires twice a year means I've had to play that game too, once or twice. The trick I got was to make sure to always loosen that bolt first, and if it's still sticking, to tighten the others up to release the pressure on that one. By the time the lock starts to break on the locking bolt,it is already to late, of course.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

iMOTOR
Mac Elite
May 23, 2015, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by Cap'n Tightpants View Post
The rears will have already been broken in, so to speak, and they should more closely match the front.
Not really, the front axle wears tires much more rapidly than the rear, especially on a FWD vehicle. So if the fronts are going to end up rotated to rear eventually anyway, wouldn't it make more sense to put them on the back now?

iMOTOR
Mac Elite
May 23, 2015, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by el chupacabra View Post
CalTrans tries to avoid salt as much as possible due to environmental concerns. They use a lot of sand, and once I noticed something that resembled mulch being spread on the way up to the San Jacinto mountains.

ghporter
Administrator
May 23, 2015, 08:59 PM

I'd look at moving to Michelins for the front tires when you can. At one time, I had my Civic wearing out tires faster than I liked, so I "bit the bullet" and put 4 Michelins on it. They lasted a LONG time, despite the varied and rough pavement around here. And they gave me better grip, too. I stuck with Michelins for the life of that car, and would have Michelins on my BMW if it hadn't come with Pirelli tires (and there are no Michelin tires for this particular model).

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
May 24, 2015, 10:52 AM

Stop driving on the pavement, for goodness sake.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

mindwaves  (op)
May 24, 2015, 11:24 AM

I think that switching the tires would not help (if they would have helped) because the front tires only have about 3,000 miles on them. They are practically new, whereas the rear Michellins are new. Essentially have 4 brand new tires on.

Forum Links
Forum Rules