Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iOS Apps > Check This Out: Word Lens

Check This Out: Word Lens
subego
Clinically Insane
Dec 17, 2010, 02:45 AM

Augmented reality app. Point it at some text and it translates it for you.

Clever demo setup. The app is free, and it will either reverse the spelling or erase the words you point it at. Dictionaries are then $4.99. Only Spanish to English and vice versa so far.

I can't call it anything other than imperfect, with much room to improve, but it's so insanely awesome I'm probably going to buy the Spanish to English dictionary anyway.

It's not like I need it either. It's that cool. Play with the demo and glance at the future.

Word Lens for iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, and iPod touch (4th generation) on the iTunes App Store
( Last edited by subego; Dec 17, 2010 at 04:15 AM. )

Atheist
Mac Elite
Dec 17, 2010, 09:12 AM

Bought it. It's not bad but needs work. I tried it out on my electric bill. It's rather quick at translation but the words continually flipped back and forth between spanish and english. It was nowhere near as smooth as what they show on their youtube video.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Dec 17, 2010, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by Atheist View Post
Bought it. It's not bad but needs work. I tried it out on my electric bill. It's rather quick at translation but the words continually flipped back and forth between spanish and english. It was nowhere near as smooth as what they show on their youtube video.
Yeah. I want to make the "needs work" part extra clear. I had heard the video gave a false impression, so I avoided it.

That's why I like the demo setup, you can see exactly how much of a work in progress it is before you commit.

P.S. IME, you have to brace the iPhone and zoom in to get decent results.

Here's a shot of CNN en EspaƱol taken off my TV (so I was able to brace my arms on the TV stand).

I wonder who Douglas is.
( Last edited by subego; Dec 17, 2010 at 12:13 PM. )

Jack-o-Bower
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 10, 2011, 09:40 PM

Its a great app! I can't wait for its library of languages to increase! No more need to look up words when traveling to new countries.

Forum Links
Forum Rules