Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Best cell phone with Mac (and.. how is the Razr)?

Best cell phone with Mac (and.. how is the Razr)?
James L
Mac Elite
Jul 11, 2006, 11:26 AM

Hey all,

A friend is willing to sell me, at a pretty nice deal, his Motorola Razr V3c.

I am curious how this phone is with OSX and the Mac. If this model is good, I may spring for it. If not, I will look for a different model. The network I am on is cdma, by the way.

My questions are:

1) Can, and how well, does this phone sync with Tiger? I would like to use Blue tooth for this.

2) Can you sync both address book and iCal (iCal especially important for my needs)?

3) Can you blue tooth photos and MP3s back and forth between the Razr and OSX?

4) It says it is an MP3 player also. I understand the MP3 idea for ringtones, but can you also listen to MP3's off of it, a la the idiot in the Rokr phone commercials on the bus?

5) If number 4 == yes, what adapter do you use for headphones?

I am on a 1.67ghz G4 PB, with the latest build of Tiger.

Thanks all,

James L

p.s. If there is a better cell phone solution for use with OSX, I am all ears!

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 11, 2006, 11:30 AM

Everyone I know who has had a Razor didn't like it that much. The phone is all style, but is apparently lacking in functionality.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

memento
Mac Elite
Jul 11, 2006, 11:39 AM

personally I love my razr. But I use it as a phone with an address book. Not a phone/pim/mp3/movie/camera. It syncs with address book via isync and bluetooth. I live in a somewhat rural area and this phone with cingular gives me the best reception of anything I've tried and I like the speakerphone. It's thin, so I don't have something the size of a coffee mug in my pocket.

And having said all that, I hate the idea of cellphones and if it weren't for my job requirements, I'd certainely not have one for myself, nor would I pay for one for myself.
"Destroy your ego. Trust your brain. Destroy your beliefs. Trust your divinity." -Danny Carey

MacPro Quad 2.66, G4 MDD dual 867, 23" Cinema Display and 17" LCD, G4 Quicksilver dual 800, 12" Powerbook 867, iMac 300 Grape, B&W G3/300 with G4/450 running yellowdog, iPod 5GB, iPod mini, PowerCenter 150, Powercenter 132 tower, Performa 6116, Quadra 700, MacSE, LC II, eMate 300

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Location: Partying down with the Ewoks, after I nuked the Death Star!
Jul 11, 2006, 11:41 AM

The RAZR is a **** phone mostly because of the software, the hardware is ok but everyone I know with one complains of the batterty life.

Plus it is trendy as ****. I mean ever geek, 16 year old girl and cool grandpa has one.

"Hello, what have we here?

blackstar
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 11, 2006, 12:02 PM

i have a SE t610 and K700i, they do everything you ask for, i found them to work perfectly with OS X

Ozmodiar
Mac Elite
Jul 11, 2006, 12:04 PM

What do you consider a "pretty nice deal" for a used phone? I can get a new Razr from T-Mobile for $50 right now.

starman
Clinically Insane
Jul 11, 2006, 12:13 PM

1) Why is he selling it?

2) If it's with Verizon, don't bother.

Best cell phone I've ever used is the SE w800i.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

memento
Mac Elite
Jul 11, 2006, 02:28 PM

Lando, my phone's battery lasts for DAYS with plenty of use. Don't know what other people's problems are. Probably the same people who have problems with their iPod batteries. And I don't really care who else has one. I didn't get it because it was supposed to make me cool or because it's "trendy". that's just dumb.
"Destroy your ego. Trust your brain. Destroy your beliefs. Trust your divinity." -Danny Carey

MacPro Quad 2.66, G4 MDD dual 867, 23" Cinema Display and 17" LCD, G4 Quicksilver dual 800, 12" Powerbook 867, iMac 300 Grape, B&W G3/300 with G4/450 running yellowdog, iPod 5GB, iPod mini, PowerCenter 150, Powercenter 132 tower, Performa 6116, Quadra 700, MacSE, LC II, eMate 300

starman
Clinically Insane
Jul 11, 2006, 02:39 PM

Regardless if you got it NOT to look trendy, it is.

natural1
Jul 11, 2006, 02:42 PM

Get a Mototola E815 instead - not so fancy, but rock solid and syncs directly with my Mac. Yay!

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Jul 11, 2006, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by memento
Lando, my phone's battery lasts for DAYS with plenty of use. Don't know what other people's problems are. Probably the same people who have problems with their iPod batteries. And I don't really care who else has one. I didn't get it because it was supposed to make me cool or because it's "trendy". that's just dumb.
Why cares about your motivations, you walk down the street with it you look like all the people who got it to be trendy.

The RAZR doesn't have a silent command without having to repeatedly push the volume down buttons. That in itself is stupid enough for me not to even look at it.

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Jul 11, 2006, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by natural1
Get a Mototola E815 instead - not so fancy, but rock solid and syncs directly with my Mac. Yay!
Antenna's are so 1998.

Velocity211
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 11, 2006, 02:49 PM

No, do not get the razr! The GSM one sucked, I don't really like the verizon UI but I bet that it's just as bad. Everything is so slow, it freezes all the time. If you had to go with verizon, don't get the razr!
iMac 24" | Core 2 Extreme 2.8GHz | 4GB RAM | 500GB HD
PowerBook G4 15" HR | 1.67GHz | 2GB RAM | 100GB HD
R.I.P 1995 Toyota Supra NA-T

memento
Mac Elite
Jul 11, 2006, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by Landos Mustache
Why cares about your motivations, you walk down the street with it you look like all the people who got it to be trendy.

The RAZR doesn't have a silent command without having to repeatedly push the volume down buttons. That in itself is stupid enough for me not to even look at it.
I said I'm rural, remember? I don't walk down the street because it would be 20 miles before I reach anything. When I use it, there's usually nobody around to judge my "trendiness". Otherwise it sits quietly in my pocket.

Whoever told you that it doesn't have a silent command needs to RTFM. It has a silent button. You hear it ring, you reach down and press one of the external buttons, and it silences it. No more rings. Dumps it into voicemail.

I hate it when people talk about things when they don't know what they're talking about. Of course it's ironic that you call the phone stupid.

andreas_g4
Professional Poster
Jul 11, 2006, 03:00 PM

^^^

production_coordinator
Mac Elite
Jul 11, 2006, 03:12 PM

I have this phone, and it's solid. With the latest firmware, the software is now solid (I wouldn't have said this 4 months ago). I haven't had it "crash" since the upgrade.... and before, it would only do it when playing MP3s from the 512 chip I purchased.

Verizon cripples the E815 but it will still work as an MP3 player, but you need to figure out a good way to get the music on the thing. Also, ringtones must be purchased from Verizon unless you hack around. IMHO, it's the only thing making me not love Verizon.

I don't even notice the antenna... and I get fantastic reception.

production_coordinator
Mac Elite
Jul 11, 2006, 03:14 PM

Antenna's are so 1998.
So you mock the Razr because it's too trendy, and you mock the E815 because it's too 1998... AWESOME

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Jul 11, 2006, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by production_coordinator
So you mock the Razr because it's too trendy, and you mock the E815 because it's too 1998... AWESOME

Yup, luckily there are awesome alternatives that have neither antenna and crappy OS's.

Railroader
Banned
Jul 11, 2006, 03:19 PM

Antenna's are so 1998.
I didn't know not getting a signal to make calls was the current trend.

You'll have my antenna when you pry it out of my cold dead hands.

production_coordinator
Mac Elite
Jul 11, 2006, 03:23 PM

Yup, luckily there are awesome alternatives that have neither antenna and crappy OS's.
Like I wrote above... the OS isn't "crappy" and I don't mind the antenna. I'm sure your phone is vastly superior...

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Jul 11, 2006, 03:24 PM

Like I wrote above... the OS isn't "crappy" and I don't mind the antenna. I'm sure your phone is vastly superior...
Unfortunately even the happiest RAZR owner mentions how crap the OS is.

And note I haven't even listed what phone it is I have so don't play that game.

memento
Mac Elite
Jul 11, 2006, 03:28 PM

as I clearly have. This is comical!

production_coordinator
Mac Elite
Jul 11, 2006, 03:31 PM

And note I haven't even listed what phone it is I have so don't play that game.
Crappy how? Again, I think you are stating something as fact... when it's something you have never used.

Also, it's no secret you're a Sony fanboy.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 11, 2006, 03:34 PM

Well, my sister, her daughter and her husband all have RAZR phones, and they all like theirs.
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my band • my web site • my guitar effects • my photos • facebook • brightpoint

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 11, 2006, 03:35 PM

So, what would be the best cell phone to use with OS X

I am currently selling my BlackBerry. I don't need the portable email as much as I thought I would and it's just too bulky for me. So, I need to replace it with another phone. I was thinking about a Razr, but I have hated every single Moto phone I've ever owned an from what I hear the OS hasn't improved.

I need something small with a decent address book and a calendar that synchs with iCal.

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Jul 11, 2006, 03:42 PM

Crappy how? Again, I think you are stating something as fact... when it's something you have never used.

The OS is ugly, the OS is stupid. That is crappy in my book and everyone I know who has used a Motorola phone.

Sony fabboy? Gimmie a break, oh god forbid I like sony camera's and phones, that must mean they really suck and I am just lying to myself.

They are a demented company with some crap products (MP3 players) and some awesome products (LCD's). I buy the best, sometimes that means sony, sometimes that means canon or whatever. I have ZERO emotional attachment to that company. I even don't care about the PS3 anymore other than the Blu-Ray player.

Show me a fanboy that would ever share my above opinions.

The sony phones are very well received here on MacNN and deservingly so. They have the best industrial design, best battery life, best mac connectivity (Steve even pushed it) and best OS.

Motorola always gets blasted for the UI. They are even re-working it from scratch and it still stinks next to the competition.

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Jul 11, 2006, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by Mastrap
So, what would be the best cell phone to use with OS X

I am currently selling my BlackBerry. I don't need the portable email as much as I thought I would and it's just too bulky for me. So, I need to replace it with another phone. I was thinking about a Razr, but I have hated every single Moto phone I've ever owned an from what I hear the OS hasn't improved.

I need something small with a decent address book and a calendar that synchs with iCal.
Look at the newer sony models. They are all pretty incredible, some might even replace your iPod.

starman
Clinically Insane
Jul 11, 2006, 03:52 PM

Look at the newer sony models. They are all pretty incredible, some might even replace your iPod.
Not replace, but be a backup, for sure.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jul 11, 2006, 03:54 PM

WTF? I already pointed out how this isn't true the last time it came up:

Three ways to change the phone into silent mode:

1. Settings -> Audio -> Style, can switch between Loud, Soft, Vibrate, Silent, etc.

2. With the lid closed, press one of the side buttons and the same menu as in method #1 shows up - you can switch between loud, soft, vibrate, silent, etc.

3. Turn the volume all the way down.

I don't get why some people have to keep on insisting the same thing even after they have been shown to be wrong.

Anyway, the RAZR is a nice phone if what you need is a phone, and not a bunch of extra crap that I personally never use. The GSM version is nice because it's quad-band. The CDMA version negates that advantage, of course, so the CDMA version makes a bit less sense. However, the rumor mill claims that the CDMA version of the RAZR supposedly allows uncrippled Bluetooth, which would make it very desirable if you're on Verizon, because just about every other Verizon phone doesn't let you do anything with Bluetooth other than use a wireless headset. If it's uncrippled, you could do things like sync your address book with the phone, transfer files such as photos to/from the phone wirelessly, make your own ringtones out of files in your MP3 collection for free instead of having to pay $2 each, etc.

Plus, the RAZR is nice and small, so if you're a guy you can actually put it in your front pocket without it looking like something else.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

gururafiki
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 11, 2006, 03:56 PM

Agreed. I especially like the free internet I get with my E815. Also, this is a cool cell phone website:
http://celltradeusa.com/

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Jul 11, 2006, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by starman
Not replace, but be a backup, for sure.
If the w950 shipped here it would be a replacement for my nano for sure as it holds 4 gigs and has a nifty os.

memento
Mac Elite
Jul 11, 2006, 04:27 PM

I'll try syncing my razr with ical. As I said before, I know it syncs with address book. Photos xfer via bluetooth no problem. mp3s as well. I've tried those 2 just messing around with it.

production_coordinator
Mac Elite
Jul 11, 2006, 04:35 PM

I'll try syncing my razr with ical. As I said before, I know it syncs with address book. Photos xfer via bluetooth no problem. mp3s as well. I've tried those 2 just messing around with it.
Did you hack it at all? My E815 doesn't allow ringtones, MP3s or photos to be transfered via bluetooth.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jul 11, 2006, 05:14 PM

Did you hack it at all? My E815 doesn't allow ringtones, MP3s or photos to be transfered via bluetooth.
Originally Posted by CharlesS
However, the rumor mill claims that the CDMA version of the RAZR supposedly allows uncrippled Bluetooth, which would make it very desirable if you're on Verizon, because just about every other Verizon phone doesn't let you do anything with Bluetooth other than use a wireless headset. If it's uncrippled, you could do things like sync your address book with the phone, transfer files such as photos to/from the phone wirelessly, make your own ringtones out of files in your MP3 collection for free instead of having to pay $2 each, etc.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

production_coordinator
Mac Elite
Jul 11, 2006, 05:20 PM

If the w950 shipped here it would be a replacement for my nano for sure as it holds 4 gigs and has a nifty os.
Does it synch with iTunes? If not... I don't see it as a replacement.

James L  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 11, 2006, 05:41 PM

personally I love my razr. But I use it as a phone with an address book. Not a phone/pim/mp3/movie/camera. It syncs with address book via isync and bluetooth. I live in a somewhat rural area and this phone with cingular gives me the best reception of anything I've tried and I like the speakerphone. It's thin, so I don't have something the size of a coffee mug in my pocket.

And having said all that, I hate the idea of cellphones and if it weren't for my job requirements, I'd certainely not have one for myself, nor would I pay for one for myself.
Can you sync it with iCal?

Can you BT pictures or other multimedia back and forth?

Cheers,

James L

Velocity211
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 11, 2006, 05:43 PM

So you think the UI is good? Everything is sluggish, freezes all the time, it's ugly, confusing... It's no secret that the motorola UIs sucks. If you're trying to make the razr look good, then you're just lying to everybody. If you really think that it looks good, then...
iMac 24" | Core 2 Extreme 2.8GHz | 4GB RAM | 500GB HD
PowerBook G4 15" HR | 1.67GHz | 2GB RAM | 100GB HD
R.I.P 1995 Toyota Supra NA-T

James L  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 11, 2006, 05:44 PM

The RAZR is a **** phone mostly because of the software, the hardware is ok but everyone I know with one complains of the batterty life.

Plus it is trendy as ****. I mean ever geek, 16 year old girl and cool grandpa has one.

Antenna's are so 1998.

And note I haven't even listed what phone it is I have so don't play that game

The OS is ugly, the OS is stupid. That is crappy in my book and everyone I know who has used a Motorola phone.

Sony fabboy? Gimmie a break, oh god forbid I like sony camera's and phones, that must mean they really suck and I am just lying to myself.

They are a demented company with some crap products (MP3 players) and some awesome products (LCD's). I buy the best, sometimes that means sony, sometimes that means canon or whatever. I have ZERO emotional attachment to that company. I even don't care about the PS3 anymore other than the Blu-Ray player.

Show me a fanboy that would ever share my above opinions.

The sony phones are very well received here on MacNN and deservingly so. They have the best industrial design, best battery life, best mac connectivity (Steve even pushed it) and best OS.

Motorola always gets blasted for the UI. They are even re-working it from scratch and it still stinks next to the competition.

About 5% of that was actually useful.

The rest was a waste of time to read.

Thanks for the 5%.... I guess.

James L  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 11, 2006, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by blackstar
i have a SE t610 and K700i, they do everything you ask for, i found them to work perfectly with OS X
Thanks, I will look into those.

James L  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 11, 2006, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by Ozmodiar
What do you consider a "pretty nice deal" for a used phone? I can get a new Razr from T-Mobile for $50 right now.

Really?

I just looked at t-mobile's website, and it shows the Razr as $249, down to $79 IF you sign up with a plan with t-mobile. If you just bought the Razr from them, without signing up for a plan, it looks like it would cost $249.

I just looked quickly though, so I could be wrong.

I am already on a plan through my local service provider (a Canadian one), so getting the great deal as bait for signing up for a plan is out.

His used price is $75. The phone is 6 months old.

James L  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 11, 2006, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by starman
1) Why is he selling it?

2) If it's with Verizon, don't bother.

Best cell phone I've ever used is the SE w800i.
1) He has a free phone through his work now.

2) Nope, a Canadian service provider.

3) Thanks! I will look into the SE w800i.

Cheers,

James L

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jul 11, 2006, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by James L
Originally Posted by blackstar
Thanks, I will look into those.

Unfortunately, both the T610 and K700i are GSM phones, so they won't work for you since you said you're on CDMA.

Originally Posted by James L
3) Thanks! I will look into the SE w800i.
Unfortunately, the W800i is a GSM phone, so it won't work for you since you said you're on CDMA.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jul 11, 2006, 06:08 PM

I've had a Sony Ericsson T637 for about 2 years now, and it's been a great phone for me. It has taken a BEATING and kept on ticking. Mac syncing is simple, and I'm definitely going with a SE the next time around. I'm thinking about a W810i.

Here's an indestrucible T637.

My wife has a RAZR, and she's had oodles of problems with it, starting with the first two they sent her being screwed up on arrival. They each made weird buzzing noise every time she tried to make a call. A friend had a similar problem. I just prefer Ericssons now.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 11, 2006, 06:11 PM

http://dealmac.com/deals/Black-Motor...te/124816.html

Here's a brand new RAZR for negative 50 dollars. Can your friend beat that?

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jul 11, 2006, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54
I've had a Sony Ericsson T637 for about 2 years now, and it's been a great phone for me. It has taken a BEATING and kept on ticking. Mac syncing is simple, and I'm definitely going with a SE the next time around. I'm thinking about a W810i.
Unfortunately, the T637 is a GSM phone, so it won't work for the original poster, who's on CDMA.

Originally Posted by ort888
http://dealmac.com/deals/Black-Motor...te/124816.html

Here's a brand new RAZR for negative 50 dollars. Can your friend beat that?
Unfortunately, the RAZR V3 (not V3c) is a GSM phone, so it won't work for the original poster, who's on CDMA.

Do any of you people read the threads you post in?

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jul 11, 2006, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by CharlesS
Unfortunately, the T637 is a GSM phone, so it won't work for the original poster, who's on CDMA.
For some odd reason, you're assuming that I'm recommending the T637 for James L.

I'm simply making the point to any member that visits this thread that Sony Ericcson phones have worked great for me in the past.

molala
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 11, 2006, 07:30 PM

I use a Treo 650, it's great synching with a Mac. Address book, iCal, Documents to go. And I've had a Palm longer than I've had a cell phone so I have a lot of applications on it. I also like having the full keyboard because I hate texting with a numeric pad. But it is a big phone and I only carry it half the time. I wish it were flatter and I wish it had wifi built-in.

Heavy Fluid
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 11, 2006, 08:59 PM

I have a black RAZR with Cingular service. To the original poster, yes, you can Sync with iCal. I have done it a few times, and it is pretty neat. You can send ringtones, wallpapers, games, applications etc to the phone via Bluetooth (as long as it is not Verizon). I send my work schedule to my phone through iCal, and have a backup of all my phone numbers on the computer just in case.

I personally love the RAZR. I don't mind the OS, as my previous Samsung really sucked when it came to OS. The only problem that I have found with the RAZR is that some of them develop alot of dust under the screen. It can be fixed, but it is rather annoying.
In a barrier free world, who needs Windows™ and Gates?

PlacidTubs
Forum Regular
Jul 11, 2006, 09:09 PM

I have a Razr (it was a replacement given to me after my old phone died).

I hate it.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jul 11, 2006, 09:18 PM

Get the CDMA equivalent of any of the recent SE phones. I hate Sony as a company but the SE phones, K750i and W810 in particular are great. Particularly with OS X.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [♬] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Forum Links
Forum Rules