Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Halloween Costumes & Free Speech

Halloween Costumes & Free Speech
Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 12, 2006, 04:33 AM

Kids decide to dress up as KKK members and get in trouble.

I despise the KKK but I think these kids have a right to wear these outfits.

Who are we to say that they shouldn't? I mean, there isn't a law against it and adults do it without being arrested. Why are the kids subjected to a different standard?

Also, who is to say that they are not making fun of the whole idea of the KKK as in satire?

I mean, people dress up as other characters such as presidents and even serial murderers, etc. Why is dressing up as a KKK member so terrible?

I guess now the Costume Nazis are out in full force.

GSixZero
Mac Elite
Oct 12, 2006, 04:49 AM

First of all, this has nothing to do with halloween. A bunch of kids were planning to show up at school in KKK garb during homecoming week.

Second of all, showing up in KKK hoods and gowns is hate speech. While hate speech is generally protected in the US, you're not going to make any friends. Anyways, they didn't really get into trouble, they got suspended. Being disruptive is a pretty standard reason to get suspended, and it sounds like that was pretty much the goal.

Let me know when someone gets arrested. *yawn*
( Last edited by GSixZero; Oct 12, 2006 at 04:59 AM. )

ImpulseResponse

Nicko
Professional Poster
Oct 12, 2006, 05:01 AM

Originally Posted by Cody Dawg
Why is dressing up as a KKK member so terrible?

Only if you're not a racist right?

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 12, 2006, 05:08 AM

Why is that adults can show up anywhere they want in that outfit and kids cannot?

Would I want my kid wearing that? No. I'd be pretty disturbed if he said, "Hey, dad and mom, I'm going to be wearing a hood and a white sheet to school today."

mac128k-1984
Mac Elite
Oct 12, 2006, 07:01 AM

Why is that adults can show up anywhere they want in that outfit and kids cannot?
I don't think I could show up in work in that outfit - not that I want. I think in this specific case, there's no difference in adults or kids they're going to be treated the same way. Wear a KKK outfit and you're going to painted (probably rightfully so) as a racist.
Michael

Kevin
Baninated
Oct 12, 2006, 07:20 AM

Just examples of stupid kids doing stupid things to attract attention.

They got it, and now are getting upset.

Did they really think a positive outcome with come out of this? I doubt it.

I don't feel sorry for em one bit.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 12, 2006, 07:24 AM

KKK, Nazi uniforms, blackface... those are all perfectly acceptible costumes for todays kids.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Kevin
Baninated
Oct 12, 2006, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by Eriamjh
KKK, Nazi uniforms, blackface... those are all perfectly acceptible costumes for todays kids.
I'd have gotten my ass whooped for even thinking it. And rightfully so. I wonder what the parents of these kids have to say?

I remember back in the late 80s early 90s with the "AIDS KILLS FAGS DEAD" tshirts that mimicked the "RAID" adverts.

Some idiot came into our highschool with said shirt, and immediately got sent home.

His parents started ranting about free speech and the like. It was just obnoxious.

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 12, 2006, 07:51 AM

I don't feel sorry for them either.

But racism shows itself in many different ways.

I think we should know if the kids were trying to be funny, dressing up in the spirit of Halloween, or just doing it to be asses and if it was the latter, then yes, they deserve punishment. But if it was satire then they shouldn'be be in trouble.

What about reverse racism. Plenty of THAT going on these days.

We don't have WET or white entertainment television but we do have black entertainment television. Somehow that is okay.

andi*pandi
Oct 12, 2006, 08:11 AM

it's not halloween yet, it just sounds like a prank. And if they had a political statement to make, they failed to make it.

and it's florida, so doing something racially charged... not smart.

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Oct 12, 2006, 08:11 AM

But if it was satire then they shouldn'be be in trouble.
Yes, they *should* be in trouble. I'm pretty open about dark humor and things of that sort, but certain things cross a line. The reality is that there are still hate crimes and still instances where minorities are beaten, arrested, harassed or whatever else due to their ethnicity. To dress in a KKK outfit has the potential to strike tremendous fear in blacks. It's still too fresh to them. There are still living blacks who were around KKK lynchings and murders.

"Free speech" is a protection from the federal government, not the right to completely shutdown a school by being extraordinarily controversial. You can walk around on the street wearing it if you want, but by disrupting the school with it, you're infringing on everyone else's right to get an education.

Would you say that they have the right to sit in class and scream ceaselessly? No, you'd be okay with them having detention or being suspended for disrupting class. KKK outfits cross the line from joke or political statement to something that will completely disrupt the school's ability to hold classes.

Y3a
Mac Elite
Oct 12, 2006, 08:24 AM

Florida really isn't the 'good ole USA' anyway. They have been screwy for decades!

As far as BET is concerned...it's OK for blacks to be racists, since it's PC for them.

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 12, 2006, 08:35 AM

Screaming and what you wear are not the same things.

Anyway, I'm sure that the school has the right to tell them to go home and change their clothese and don't come back. Schools have dress codes.

That should have been the action taken.

Instead they're suspended which I think is BS.

I think that all the black kids showing up with "bling" and big gold chains around their necks should be suspended also for showing "gang mentality."

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Oct 12, 2006, 08:47 AM

Screaming and what you wear are not the same things.
Speech is speech. Medium is irrelevant. What matters here is that the school's ability to function was disrupted.

I think that all the black kids showing up with "bling" and big gold chains around their necks should be suspended also for showing "gang mentality."
I don't think that jewelry has quite reached the notoriety of white sheets. Besides, how big is too big? Have you seen a 70+ year old woman's jewelry? That stuff is huge!

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 12, 2006, 08:53 AM

Besides, how big is too big? Have you seen a 70+ year old woman's jewelry? That stuff is huge!
Only in Palm Beach.

Seriously, if you're going to start dictating standards about clothes then where do you stop?

BTW, FYI, "bling" is not permitted in most Palm Beach county (FL) schools - none that I know of.

In fact, one principal of a school got in trouble because he ripped off of the pants of a young girl what appeared to be a pager...only it was an insulin pump.

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Oct 12, 2006, 09:01 AM

Seriously, if you're going to start dictating standards about clothes then where do you stop?
White hoods. There may be things that fall in grey areas, but pointy white hoods that cover your face do not.

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 12, 2006, 09:04 AM

You mean white sweatshirts with hoods pulled up also?

natural1
Oct 12, 2006, 09:42 AM

I don't feel sorry for them either.

But racism shows itself in many different ways.

I think we should know if the kids were trying to be funny, dressing up in the spirit of Halloween, or just doing it to be asses and if it was the latter, then yes, they deserve punishment. But if it was satire then they shouldn'be be in trouble.

What about reverse racism. Plenty of THAT going on these days.

We don't have WET or white entertainment television but we do have black entertainment television. Somehow that is okay.

Oh boy - now the ignorance of the deep South comes out. It was just a matter of time. See, this threat is really a red herring for Cody's latent racism. Yeah - you heard me. Racism, Cody.

The charge of 'reverse racism' is so moronic as to need a response. Isn't racism when someone judges someone else based solely on their race? Wouldn't 'reverse racism' be 'no racism'? Unless you think that only whites can be racist against blacks (as you are, Cody). Trying to defend KKK kids when they show up to intimidate the minorities at their school - yes, the hoods are designed to intimidate - is the act of a hateful, small-minded person. This is not an issue of free-speech. There is no free speech in schools. Be real.

There is no such thing as reverse racism. If you are referring to policies of affirmative action as reverse racism, then you lack a full understanding of the reasoning and need for such policies. If you think that BET is reverse racism, you are just plain daft.

Just so every one realizes - Florida is further south than Georgia, and as we Yankees all know, the further south you go down the east coast, the lower the IQs get...

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Oct 12, 2006, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by Kevin
I'd have gotten my ass whooped for even thinking it. And rightfully so. I wonder what the parents of these kids have to say?
Probably, "Can I have my outfit back?"

And yeah, there are many environments where free speech must be curtailed somewhat in order to function. Public school is one of these places. Having an anti-war protest in the middle of class would not fly. Writing "HAIL SATAN" all over the blackboard would not fly. Dressing up in outfits that intimidate other students with threats of violence also does not fly. Students are not allowed to do whatever they want in the name of "free speech." If you have a problem with this, you can go start a private school for all the budding racists.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 12, 2006, 10:53 AM

natural1: You're so far off base it's laughable.

"Florida is further south than Georgia."

In case you haven't heard, there are a LOT of snowbirds (Yankees like you), transplanted New Englanders, New Yawkers, and Canadians who spend at least part of the year here, if not all of the year.

You're one of those people that looks in from the outside and makes your crude assessments based on your presumptions.

Oh, and about your comment about reverse racism "needing no response because it's so moronic?"

YOU sure responded!

As far as me being a racist, you keep on thinking that if it makes you feel all big and important "heah on dese heah fah-ums."

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 12, 2006, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by natural1
Oh boy - now the ignorance of the deep South comes out. It was just a matter of time. See, this threat is really a red herring for Cody's latent racism. Yeah - you heard me. Racism, Cody.

The charge of 'reverse racism' is so moronic as to need a response. Isn't racism when someone judges someone else based solely on their race? Wouldn't 'reverse racism' be 'no racism'? Unless you think that only whites can be racist against blacks (as you are, Cody). Trying to defend KKK kids when they show up to intimidate the minorities at their school - yes, the hoods are designed to intimidate - is the act of a hateful, small-minded person. This is not an issue of free-speech. There is no free speech in schools. Be real.

There is no such thing as reverse racism. If you are referring to policies of affirmative action as reverse racism, then you lack a full understanding of the reasoning and need for such policies. If you think that BET is reverse racism, you are just plain daft.

Just so every one realizes - Florida is further south than Georgia, and as we Yankees all know, the further south you go down the east coast, the lower the IQs get...

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Oct 12, 2006, 11:00 AM

The charge of 'reverse racism' is so moronic as to need a response. Isn't racism when someone judges someone else based solely on their race? Wouldn't 'reverse racism' be 'no racism'? Unless you think that only whites can be racist against blacks (as you are, Cody).
The term "reverse racism" refers to the fact that many, many people view it that way. In general, Americans are much more willing to brush off statements against white people — they believe that racism can only go from white people to other people. Many people would be up in arms if there were a "White Guys Club," yet nobody even batted an eye at the fact that there were clubs for blacks and hispanics at my college.
Chuck
___

Y3a
Mac Elite
Oct 12, 2006, 11:19 AM

There is no such thing as reverse racism. If you are referring to policies of affirmative action as reverse racism, then you lack a full understanding of the reasoning and need for such policies.
EXACTLY Affirmative Action IS RACIST, and I'm glad someone like YOU can even see it!

If you think that BET is reverse racism, you are just plain daft.
They are ALSO racist, since they refer to "Black" as the first word in their Network. What difference does it make?

That is exacly why the schools up north NEED TO BE FIXED as well, because of your idiotic opinions stated as fact.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 12, 2006, 11:25 AM

So where are you from ? Key West ?

-t

natural1
Oct 12, 2006, 11:32 AM

natural1: You're so far off base it's laughable.

Oh, and about your comment about reverse racism "needing no response because it's so moronic?"

YOU sure responded!

Actually, I said "The charge of 'reverse racism' is so moronic as to need a response." Read carefully and you might get to the meaning of what was actually written. Is mis-quoting others part of your MO?

natural1
Oct 12, 2006, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by Chuckit
The term "reverse racism" refers to the fact that many, many people view it that way. In general, Americans are much more willing to brush off statements against white people — they believe that racism can only go from white people to other people. Many people would be up in arms if there were a "White Guys Club," yet nobody even batted an eye at the fact that there were clubs for blacks and hispanics at my college.
Just because people view it that way, doesn't mean it is a correct perception of reality. White people are relatively privileged in this country and the legacy of LEGAL discrimination/slavery has yet to be abolished. There may not be any segregated bus seats anymore, but the problem of inherent racism and bias are a long way form being eradicated. Guess what, white folks - it's payback time. You don't get 200 years of slavery for free and then get a pass on reparations and affirmative action as well.

Many white folks fail to acknowledge the depth of their own intolerance and hide behind a veil of statements that include 'reverse racism' as a proclamation of their fear of being overwhelmed by minority culture.

There are plenty of institutions that are 'white', but just not officially denoted as such. The fact that whites have controlled the assets and resources of this country for a LONG time means that we naturally have more power and influence. We also have a lot of exclusive organizations that only let in minorities to look tolerant/meet quotas.

Come to think of it, isn't the KKK an all-white club? Isn't that where this discussion started - trying to justify letting kids go to school dressed as Klansmen?

I'd be willing to bet (or BET, haha) that your college had a few fraternities that were all white - whether of not they had it as an 'official' policy is another matter.

natural1
Oct 12, 2006, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by what_the_heck
So where are you from ? Key West ?

-t
Haha. Nope. Caribou Maine.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 12, 2006, 12:06 PM

Haha. Nope. Caribou Maine.
Well, no wonder, you are practically from Canada.

-t

natural1
Oct 12, 2006, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by Y3a
EXACTLY Affirmative Action IS RACIST, and I'm glad someone like YOU can even see it!
Jeez - what is it with people having such poor reading comprehension skills? Do you even realize that you stated the opposite of what I said? And what exactly is 'someone like me'? Is that your latent racism coming out?

Originally Posted by Y3a
They are ALSO racist, since they refer to "Black" as the first word in their Network. What difference does it make?
Actually, wouldn't that mean that they are marketing their channel primarily to a black audience? Can white people not get BET on their TVs? Are they unfairly excluded from the network? Is the NAACP racist too? (That's a leading questions, because you undoubtedly think that they are).

Originally Posted by Y3a
That is exacly why the schools up north NEED TO BE FIXED as well, because of your idiotic opinions stated as fact.
Huh? That doesn't make any sense. Did you have a point? We'll keep our Northern schools just the way they are, thank you. We'll teach science and fact (evolution) while you teach superstition and fantasy (creationism). Keep flying that Confederate flag high!

natural1
Oct 12, 2006, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by what_the_heck
Well, no wonder, you are practically from Canada.

-t
So close I can smell the poutein!

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 12, 2006, 12:24 PM

Maine? And you profess to know the history and societal infrastructure of the South?

Live here a while and THEN spout off.

Rumor
Oct 12, 2006, 12:30 PM

When you are under 18, you have no rights. At least that's what I remember growing up.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Oct 12, 2006, 12:48 PM

Wait... You think kids dressing up as KKK members is OK, Yet talking about teabagging isn't?

My god, something is wrong here.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Oct 12, 2006, 12:54 PM

Maine was once Massachusetts.

The more you know™

Rumor
Oct 12, 2006, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by kmkkid
Wait... You think kids dressing up as KKK members is OK, Yet talking about teabagging isn't?

My god, something is wrong here.
Then is it ok to teabag someone if you are in a KKK robe?

Monique
Mac Elite
Oct 12, 2006, 01:25 PM

What is next for these kids, a reneactment of a lynching?

Maybe a reneactment of a gas chamber, with a full reneactment of a concentration camp, and oven burning some Jews! That should make the parents of those kids really happy.

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 12, 2006, 01:35 PM

natural1 is winning this thread. Cody, your thoughts, where do they come from?

ice

Y3a
Mac Elite
Oct 12, 2006, 01:38 PM

Just because people view it that way, doesn't mean it is a correct perception of reality. White people are relatively privileged in this country and the legacy of LEGAL discrimination/slavery has yet to be abolished. There may not be any segregated bus seats anymore, but the problem of inherent racism and bias are a long way form being eradicated. Guess what, white folks - it's payback time. You don't get 200 years of slavery for free and then get a pass on reparations and affirmative action as well.

Many white folks fail to acknowledge the depth of their own intolerance and hide behind a veil of statements that include 'reverse racism' as a proclamation of their fear of being overwhelmed by minority culture.

There are plenty of institutions that are 'white', but just not officially denoted as such. The fact that whites have controlled the assets and resources of this country for a LONG time means that we naturally have more power and influence. We also have a lot of exclusive organizations that only let in minorities to look tolerant/meet quotas.

Come to think of it, isn't the KKK an all-white club? Isn't that where this discussion started - trying to justify letting kids go to school dressed as Klansmen?

I'd be willing to bet (or BET, haha) that your college had a few fraternities that were all white - whether of not they had it as an 'official' policy is another matter.
Typical nonsense. You want a free handout from ME, for something I had nothing to do with (slavery) So does that mean that all blacks should pay back the store owners for the destruction of the race riots of the 1950's and 1960's? It's a shame you think that without all the extra help and handouts from Affirmative action that you couldn't keep up, when more and more black families own houses, and are not just middle class, but upper middle class, and they didn't bother to accept the handouts, but enjoyed the pride of accomplishment by achieving goals themselves.

Nicko
Professional Poster
Oct 12, 2006, 01:45 PM

This thread has now reached the level of parody, good job everyone.

natural1
Oct 12, 2006, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by Y3a
Typical nonsense. You want a free handout from ME, for something I had nothing to do with (slavery) So does that mean that all blacks should pay back the store owners for the destruction of the race riots of the 1950's and 1960's? It's a shame you think that without all the extra help and handouts from Affirmative action that you couldn't keep up, when more and more black families own houses, and are not just middle class, but upper middle class, and they didn't bother to accept the handouts, but enjoyed the pride of accomplishment by achieving goals themselves.
I suppose your statement "Typical nonsense" was meant to describe your posting?

You address me as if I were black - as if that is the only way that I would make the arguments that I do ("You want a free handout from ME";"...that you couldn't keep up..."). Racist? You decide...

In terms of Affirmative Action (AA), as a white American (if you are) you benefit from the legacy of legalized discrimination and slavery every single day. Chances are your parents were alive when segregation was legal. The infrastructures that you live on were built on the backs of slaves. Perhaps not the exact road you drive on, but the country as a whole benefited from unfair, discriminatory laws and morally reprehensible slavery. Including you.

You should be willing to give up a little bit of your *unfairly* gained advantage to level the playing field with those who suffered at the hands of discriminatory laws. For generations, mind you. Not a few years, but centuries. Do you think that just removing discrimination from the law books will make it go away? That's naive at best, and dangerous at worst. Example: If my father stole money from your father, would your family be able to come after me for the money?

To point out that many black families now own homes is a hopeless distraction from the hundreds of urban ghettos where a proportion of the black population currently find themselves - generally not by their own choice.

natural1
Oct 12, 2006, 02:52 PM

Maine? And you profess to know the history and societal infrastructure of the South?

Live here a while and THEN spout off.
Oh really?! I have to live in the South to have an opinion?

OK, then if you are not black, then STFU about racism, KKK and discrimination. You are not entitled to an opinion!

Really, is the history of the South such a mystery to outsiders? Star'n'Bars, Jack Daniels, marry your cousin, eat a possum... haha

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 12, 2006, 03:06 PM

Kids decide to dress up as KKK members and get in trouble.

I despise the KKK but I think these kids have a right to wear these outfits.

I love it. Cody objects to me posting a joke thread about teabagging on the internet because it is a adult subject not meant for all the kids here and then Cody goes and aproves of kids dressing up as a hate group and going to school.

Now that makes sense

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

Dakar
Professional Poster
Oct 12, 2006, 03:11 PM

The kids are free to wear these when they go trick or treating (and catch any flack from what I assume will be surprised greeters), but you're not allowed to wear anything to school (and trust me, if I couldn't wear umbros lacking a back pocket to school, KKK regalia is most likely to be unacceptable).

Y3a
Mac Elite
Oct 12, 2006, 03:14 PM

In terms of Affirmative Action (AA), as a white American (if you are) you benefit from the legacy of legalized discrimination and slavery every single day. Chances are your parents were alive when segregation was legal. The infrastructures that you live on were built on the backs of slaves. Perhaps not the exact road you drive on, but the country as a whole benefited from unfair, discriminatory laws and morally reprehensible slavery. Including you.
Pure BS.. More stereotypical nonsense and fictional urban legends. YOu are ALSO a beneficiary of this fictional contribution.

You should be willing to give up a little bit of your *unfairly* gained advantage to level the playing field with those who suffered at the hands of discriminatory laws. For generations, mind you. Not a few years, but centuries. Do you think that just removing discrimination from the law books will make it go away? That's naive at best, and dangerous at worst. Example: If my father stole money from your father, would your family be able to come after me for the money?
So you assume that ONLY blacks were slaves? You seem to know nothing of my background or history in general.

To point out that many black families now own homes is a hopeless distraction from the hundreds of urban ghettos where a proportion of the black population currently find themselves - generally not by their own choice.
The fact is that the black subculture is to blame for its own problems, after all why would they wanna go to school so they could be like 'whitey'? You never heard of personal responsibility?
Bill Cosby has been lambasted for saying the same things from such fools as Jesse Jackson et al.

natural1
Oct 12, 2006, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by Y3a
Pure BS.. More stereotypical nonsense and fictional urban legends. YOu are ALSO a beneficiary of this fictional contribution.
OK - you should consider reading a book about using logic to support your arguments. On one hand you say that the contributions of slaves in the USA is a ficitonal urban legend, and then you say that I, too, benefit from this contribution. Maybe that just a joke without a punchline.

Do you deny that black Africans were ripped from their homes and used as forced labor to build this country? Do you also deny the holocaust? If you can't say anything except that my argument is BS and not back it up with facts, well, then you have nothing to say, really.

Originally Posted by Y3a
So you assume that ONLY blacks were slaves? You seem to know nothing of my background or history in general.
Please tell us all about the many other ethnic groups who were used a slaves in the US. Yes - the Chinese and Irish worked for low wages, but they were not slaves in the same sense. Your personal background may be important to you, but not me.

Originally Posted by Y3a
The fact is that the black subculture is to blame for its own problems, after all why would they wanna go to school so they could be like 'whitey'? You never heard of personal responsibility? Bill Cosby has been lambasted for saying the same things from such fools as Jesse Jackson et al.
How can you talk *only* about personal responsibility when there is a history of legal discrimination in this country, which specifically sought to dis-advantage blacks and other minorities? For generations! You seem to hold the false assumption that everyone has the same opportunities available to them. Pfttt! Ha!

Example: You are in a 100meter foot race against several other athletes, but you have to start the race under a 3meter pile of horse ****. What!? You didn't win the race? Why not? A lack of personal responsibility? Or maybe it was because you started with an unfair disadvantage. Consider the pile of horse **** to be the legacy of legal racism in the US. Or perhaps you can consider the pile of horse **** the worth of your arguments with regards to this subject.

Y3a
Mac Elite
Oct 12, 2006, 04:05 PM

You make the intellectual mistake of looking at past events out of context, and saying that by todays standards its wrong what happened hundreds of years ago.

You also need to quit parsing and look at what I wrote exactly.

"YOu are ALSO a beneficiary of this fictional contribution."

See WHERE in the sentence that 'Fictional' is located? BEFORE the word Contribution. That means that the contribution is fictional. NOW DO YOU UNDERSTAND???

You are also confusing the words Bigot, and Racist. YOU, because of your posts, are displaying racism. A KKK member would be a Bigot. YOu need to understand that it is stupid to look at a group as having one set of traits. Everybody is different. Race means NOTHING, unless you are a racist. Your posts are full of stereotypes, and urban legends and blather obviously parroting some liberal college professors opinions. I don't think you lived thru the 1950's and 1960's.

Rumor
Oct 12, 2006, 04:16 PM

I'd like to make a motion to move this thread to the PL.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Oct 12, 2006, 04:18 PM

And black people are part of the country as a whole. So yes, there were some things very wrong with the country in the early days, and yes, we now have a very strong country that benefited from that.

Do you think that just removing discrimination from the law books will make it go away? That's naive at best, and dangerous at worst. Example: If my father stole money from your father, would your family be able to come after me for the money?
No, which is one of the many reasons why the racist recruitment policies like "Affirmative Action" are bad. For an example of a good policy, check out Harvard's offer of a free Ivy League education to anybody qualified who couldn't otherwise afford it.

As for your general "black people are at a disadvantage": No kidding! Lots of people have various advantages and disadvantages in this life. Some people come from rich ancestors, some people come from poor ancestors, some people have genetic advantages, some people have genetic disadvantages. That's life! I'm sorry if somebody told you it would be completely fair, but they've been telling you lies. Do your best with what you have. Don't waste your time wishing somebody else would do it for you.

Even if my ancestors owed your ancestors, we are not those people. To say that just because I'm white, I owe somebody something — that's the definition of racism.
Chuck
___

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 12, 2006, 04:20 PM

natural1

Oh give us all a break.

I come from a "minority" family and have NEVER, EVER expected a handout nor expected the government or losers like you to re-pay me in any way. Besides, money can never "fix" a wrong, don't you know that?

About blacks owning homes or not, what a stupid statement. You're just ready to leave 'em all down on the plantation, ain't ya? As if they're INCAPABLE of earning a living and doing it better than anyone else!

It's people like you that perpetuate stereotypes and poverty with your sick mentality that blacks "ain't got nuttin' much" and need a handout to get ahead. I know many more blacks than you can imagine that have more pride than YOU do and guess what? They are wildly successful and didn't have to depend on cash handouts to get ahead in life.

Why don't you get with the new century natural1?

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 12, 2006, 04:23 PM

It's people like you that perpetuate stereotypes
Once again the irony is pretty thick

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

Forum Links
Forum Rules