Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Who's on your Ignore list?

Who's on your Ignore list?
::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 5, 2002, 01:47 PM

So, who's on your sh!t list? Who do you love to hate? Who's gotten so far under your skin that you can't read anything they type anymore?

My list contains 2: Ca$h68 (original nick) and ElPre$idente. (Hmm..both with $ in their names....)

Actually, I just want to know if I'm on anyone's list. (and I mean before this thread.) Oh, and I'm bored.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Dec 5, 2002, 01:50 PM

My list is, well... empty. There is no one here that irritates me enough to put them on that list.
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

maxelson
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 5, 2002, 01:51 PM

Well... YOU'RE not on my ignore list.
Come to think on it, Ca$h isn't. Mine ain't too hard to figure. It is two people long and I guess they make a whole lotta folks ignore lists.

I'm going to pull your head off because I don't like your head.

Lerkfish
Dec 5, 2002, 01:58 PM

Originally posted by maxelson:
Well... YOU'RE not on my ignore list.
Come to think on it, Ca$h isn't. Mine ain't too hard to figure. It is two people long and I guess they make a whole lotta folks ignore lists.
*raps on max's forehead to see if he responds*
not me, I assume? max? ....max?...
(gleeful smile) ok, now that he cant hear us in his soundproof booth offstage, lets' let the audience in on the gag....

Lerkfish
Dec 5, 2002, 02:05 PM

Originally posted by ::maroma:::
So, who's on your sh!t list? Who do you love to hate? Who's gotten so far under your skin that you can't read anything they type anymore?
I have temporarily put people there, but usually remove them after a week or so. This is more as a control of ME than them, quite frankly. Sometimes I find myself in a trend of getting irritated out of proportion by one particular person and by ignoring can help restrict myself from posting things I'll regret later.

NOT that I don't regret things later, anyways. ;(

but there are just three that I have on the list permanently, but between them they utilize a great many aliases so the list seems longer.

But even so, I'll STILL sometimes open up their posts if I think they might have something worthwhile to say on particular topics....some people have certain topics in which they only post flames or flamebait, so they tend to muck up my reading of the thread, but they might be perfectly tolerable on other topics, so I'll manually open up their posts when necessary.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Dec 5, 2002, 02:06 PM

I tried to put myself on my ignore list, but I am not allowed to do that

Lerkfish
Dec 5, 2002, 02:11 PM

Originally posted by voodoo:
I tried to put myself on my ignore list, but I am not allowed to do that
ahh..well, you CAN, but you have to schizophrenic.

philzilla
Occasionally Useful
Dec 5, 2002, 02:51 PM

Originally posted by maxelson:
It is two people long and I guess they make a whole lotta folks ignore lists.
i'm willing to bet good money that one of those people is the one person i have on mine.
"Have sharp knives. Be creative. Cook to music" ~ maxelson

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Dec 5, 2002, 02:55 PM

Originally posted by philzilla:
i'm willing to bet good money that one of those people is the one person i have on mine.
Who who!??

(he can't hear me )

Mulattabianca
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 5, 2002, 02:56 PM

here nobody. just some jerks in ichat, icq, yim and aim lists..
::1 ::2 ::3 ::

davesimondotcom
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 5, 2002, 03:03 PM

Nobody on here is on ignore, at least not automatic ignore. Some I just ignore by not reading what they post.

In Proteus, there are a ton of SPIMers that make my list. SPIM is my term for SPAM sent via IM...
[ sig removed - image host changed it to a big ad picture ]

ringo
Professional Poster
Dec 5, 2002, 03:05 PM

Just one person, and I end up reading half of their posts anyway.

Zimphire
Baninated
Dec 5, 2002, 03:35 PM

I don't think anyone could annoy me enough for me to have to get mad enough to do such a thing.

Thrax
Banned
Dec 5, 2002, 03:40 PM

No one yet, but a certain old bird has been getting on my nerves lately with his propaganda posts.

Phanguye
Mac Elite
Dec 5, 2002, 05:25 PM

i am always curious if i am on peoples ignore list cause no one respondes to the things i say most of the time... i am pretty sure it is cause i am a smartass... that or i am boring

Thrax
Banned
Dec 5, 2002, 05:25 PM

It's both.

Mac Zealot
Professional Poster
Dec 5, 2002, 05:31 PM

Originally posted by Phanguye:
i am always curious if i am on peoples ignore list cause no one respondes to the things i say most of the time... i am pretty sure it is cause i am a smartass... that or i am boring
And I find a good deal of your posts entertaining.

*shrug* I'm probably on someone's big list, but meh.

I don't put anyone on ignore. It is a forum, afterall.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 5, 2002, 06:59 PM

2 people. Same as Maxelson's and Philzilla's. And probably Lerk's as well.

thunderous_funker
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 5, 2002, 07:06 PM

Zimphire is the only person that made it to my ignore list. He was just driving me nuts for a while. He's off the list now and seems to have chilled out considerably.

No one is on it now, BUT I'M WATCHING YOU ALL!!!!!

tinrib
Mac Elite
Dec 5, 2002, 07:20 PM

I have about 6 or 7 nicks on my ignore list, but only 2 people. One of them (with many nicks) is on there because IMO he is an idiot and I can't believe I didn't have him up there earlier. The other is only on my list because he has never said anything that I find interesting. I find religious nuts boring. However, I expect he will be removed from my list in time. multi-nick guy will stay on there forever. (yes he is very keen on a certain film, I believe).

I'm dying to know who Mastrap (and Maxelson/Philzilla) has on their list. A more positive thread would be who's posts do you value? then Mastrap, Daimoni and Face Ache would win for me. (And the long gone Madra). But that would be counted as ass-kissing I suppose.

Timo
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 5, 2002, 07:27 PM

I luv my igonre list, and i'm not much tempted to find out the insipid one-line knee jerk smart ass posts lurking behind the "this person is on your ignore list" placeholder. keeps my blood pressure down.

::maroma::  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 5, 2002, 07:36 PM

So, why so reluctant to name names, people? What's with all this "I have 2 people on my list, one has brown hair and green eyes and lives in Lala Land." That's no fun! I'm sure they ingorees won't get too offended (at least I hope not). And if they do, who cares anyway, you wont know, right?

roger_ramjet
Mac Elite
Dec 5, 2002, 07:56 PM

What's so hard about just ignoring the people you don't feel like reading? Why is it so necessary to put them on an ignore list? The whole idea of having an ignore list strikes me as more than a little pathetic.

::maroma::  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 5, 2002, 08:02 PM

Originally posted by roger_ramjet:
What's so hard about just ignoring the people you don't feel like reading? Why is it so necessary to put them on an ignore list? The whole idea of having an ignore list strikes me as more than a little pathetic.
Well, the way I read threads might be different than the way others do. I tend to read the content, then look at who wrote it (if I feel like I need to). I usually get stuck reading the people's posts I don't want to read. Setting the ignore funciton makes it fool proof. And if I want to read it, I manually click on the post. It's actually quite convenient. And I've found that my time here at MacNN is far more enjoyable since the advent of the ignore function.

To each his own, sir.

tinrib
Mac Elite
Dec 5, 2002, 08:17 PM

Originally posted by roger_ramjet:
in your email app, do you have all of your spam in your inbox, or do you try and filter it out and divert it to a 'junk' folder or similar? its the same thing.

also, sometimes I might show a friend something on the forums. Some people's posts embarrass me as they make the lounge look like a bunch of idiot kids. The other day there was a thread about coffee, and starwars guy turns up and leaves a totally irrelevant picture of ice cube (i think, the picture has been taken down by Demonhood now) and some comment about 'nigga's. What does that have to do with coffee. Why should I even waste bandwidth downloading his images? He never has anything interesting to say, he's an annoying smartarse. Now I don't have to worry about him anymore (except to keep adding new stupid nicks to my ignore list).

RAzaRazor
Mac Elite
Dec 5, 2002, 08:29 PM

Right now, I have rampant, Usama's Misspelled Carcase, El Stupid President, and recently added libraryguy because his signature picture is annoying and Jansar because he just seems to be a tool.

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Dec 5, 2002, 08:44 PM

Cipher13.

Demonhood
Administrator
Dec 5, 2002, 08:49 PM

No one is on my ignore list. I don't get to have one. I have to read all the stupid stuff you people post.

philzilla
Occasionally Useful
Dec 5, 2002, 08:55 PM

i just added Demonhood, and i'm reporting his abuse. i may even consider legal action

l008com
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 5, 2002, 09:02 PM

I wish some people would name names. I assume cash but I don't know the other person you all have. I seriously doubt I am on anyones, becuase 90% of my posts are me asking mostly mac questions anyway. I don't really 'chat' on the boards all that much. But if I am on anyones.... i'd ask you to let me know, i would find it ineresting, but i can't ask you to let me know, becuase you are not listening.

I still think this forum should be hosted on a Mac too.

Montanan
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 5, 2002, 09:21 PM

Originally posted by l008com:
I wish some people would name names.
OK, I'll bite ... for me, it's Usama, Spliff, and Zim. I see it pretty much the way tinrib does ... it's just like a spam filter for my e-mail, that I can override as I wish.

I have to say, though, that there are a LOT of people here whose thoughts I truely value ... there's really a surprising amount of depth and insight on these boards. I don't always philosophically agree with Lerkfish, for example, but I look forward to reading every single one of his posts. Same goes for Timo. Eavesdropping on those guys, and many of the rest of you, brightens my day and gives me intriguing notions to ponder.

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 5, 2002, 09:28 PM

I wish some people would name names. I assume cash but I don't know the other person you all have. I seriously doubt I am on anyones, becuase 90% of my posts are me asking mostly mac questions anyway. I don't really 'chat' on the boards all that much. But if I am on anyones.... i'd ask you to let me know, i would find it ineresting, but i can't ask you to let me know, becuase you are not listening.

I still think this forum should be hosted on a Mac too.
I don't have any on my list but I can add you if you feel left out
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

philzilla
Occasionally Useful
Dec 5, 2002, 09:29 PM

Zimphool, but he knows he's on mine, and a ton of other ignore lists. i have no problem with Ca$h. i agree with tinrib, about the smug canadian arsehole. i don't have him on ignore though, because it's fun to point out his mistakes

rampant
Banned
Location: permanent resident of the Land of the Easily Aroused
Dec 5, 2002, 10:08 PM

I have everyone on my ignore list. The ignore list- because it's more polite then telling everyone to STFU

but seriously, I don't use the ignore list, the ignore list is for pussies who admit immeadite defeat.

DaKiwi2788
Senior User
Dec 5, 2002, 11:08 PM

Originally posted by Phanguye:
Awwwwww.....I enjoy you being a smartass. And enjoyment does not lead to boredom.
-Emily

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."
Abraham Lincoln

tinrib
Mac Elite
Dec 5, 2002, 11:21 PM

... I assume cash but I don't know the other person you all have ...
Cash isn't on my ignore list.

shawnjoyce
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 5, 2002, 11:23 PM

There used to be this a$$ named Macintosh over at AppleInsider. I would put him on my ignore list if I knew his nick here.

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 5, 2002, 11:27 PM

i think the ignore list is kinda useless. if a person makes a comment i dont like, whether or not i can see the comment its still a disruption in the thread. i end up looking at it anyway to see what else stupid the person said.

Lerkfish
Dec 5, 2002, 11:39 PM

Originally posted by scaught:
i think the ignore list is kinda useless. if a person makes a comment i dont like, whether or not i can see the comment its still a disruption in the thread. i end up looking at it anyway to see what else stupid the person said.
Its useful for me when I remember to use it. There are times when I get overly irritated with certain posters. by temporarily placing them on ignore, I can distance myself by one layer. Then, if I do open their post anyways, the fact that I have to open up a seperate dialog helps remind me I don't want to respond to them right then

Again, the ignore list is not to punish other people but to help control my own tendency to lose patience with some people and say something I regret later. It doesn't always work, but it does help.

And, there are some who don't contribute anything to the threads except background noise of flamebait or wiseass taunting that I prefer to avoid reading just on the principle I have limited online time and I don't want to spend it reading background noise.

This is an unrelated issue to whether I disagree with someone, that is never my reason for doing it. I have no problem disagreeing with people. I DO have trouble with the WAY some people just enjoy getting in other's faces for no good reason.

rambo47
Mac Elite
Dec 5, 2002, 11:46 PM

What? We have an ignore list?! Why the hell didn't some one tell me about this list?!!

tinrib
Mac Elite
Dec 5, 2002, 11:51 PM

Originally posted by scaught:
... if a person makes a comment i dont like, whether or not i can see the comment its still a disruption in the thread. i end up looking at it anyway to see what else stupid the person said.
well who's fault is that?

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 6, 2002, 12:01 AM

Originally posted by tinrib:

well who's fault is that?
its not my fault the person always says things i dont like

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Dec 6, 2002, 12:08 AM

Originally posted by tinrib:

in your email app, do you have all of your spam in your inbox, or do you try and filter it out and divert it to a 'junk' folder or similar? its the same thing.

also, sometimes I might show a friend something on the forums. Some people's posts embarrass me as they make the lounge look like a bunch of idiot kids. The other day there was a thread about coffee, and starwars guy turns up and leaves a totally irrelevant picture of ice cube (i think, the picture has been taken down by Demonhood now) and some comment about 'nigga's. What does that have to do with coffee. Why should I even waste bandwidth downloading his images? He never has anything interesting to say, he's an annoying smartarse. Now I don't have to worry about him anymore (except to keep adding new stupid nicks to my ignore list).
Booya! The whole point was to get on the ignore list and it looked like it worked Not like you will read this though..

I know phizilla likes to follow me around and point out mistakes of someone he thinks is an �sshole. Talk about sad when someone wants to make himself feel big over an "�sshole" on a computer forum

Peace to all my saulkers

"Laugh it up, fuzz ball!"

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Dec 6, 2002, 12:11 AM

I think rather highly of the Star Wars dude, he has an uncanny ability to find things on the net. <voodoo lights a cigarette and closes the curtains>

He's funny too

Timo
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 6, 2002, 12:25 AM

Originally posted by Montanan:

I have to say, though, that there are a LOT of people here whose thoughts I truely value ... there's really a surprising amount of depth and insight on these boards. I don't always philosophically agree with Lerkfish, for example, but I look forward to reading every single one of his posts. Same goes for Timo. Eavesdropping on those guys, and many of the rest of you, brightens my day and gives me intriguing notions to ponder.
:o Shoot that's mighty nice of you.

Jansar
Professional Poster
Dec 6, 2002, 12:49 AM

There was some guy here over the summer named "wiggles" who just came to spit out **** about how windoze is so much cooler than mac os. If he was here, I'd ignore him.
World of Warcraft (Whisperwind - Alliance) <The Eternal Spiral>
Go Dogcows!

Lerkfish
Dec 6, 2002, 01:04 AM

Originally posted by Montanan:
Hey, I missed this first time around. Thanks. I want to say, also that I wouldnt even use the ignore list if it wasn't that everyone ELSE keeps saying such interesting things I don't want to miss or get drowned out by the background noise.
That's a pretty big compliment to the entire board if there are only two or three I choose not to read their posts.

Zimphire
Baninated
Dec 6, 2002, 01:23 AM

A lot of people put posters on their ignore list because of convictions.

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 6, 2002, 02:25 AM

The two people on my list know who they are. This would have been an interesting poll.

rampant
Banned
Location: permanent resident of the Land of the Easily Aroused
Dec 6, 2002, 02:29 AM

Originally posted by RAzaRazor:
Right now, I have rampant, Usama's Misspelled Carcase, El Stupid President, and recently added libraryguy because his signature picture is annoying and Jansar because he just seems to be a tool.

Re-affirming my hypothesis about people who use the ignore list.

Forum Links
Forum Rules