Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Bought an iPod from Dell

Bought an iPod from Dell
Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 7, 2002, 01:00 PM

Hey, I just bought an iPod from Dell. 20GB version, $409 shipped. I got a pack of CD-Rs along with it.

So, anyone with an iPod want to tell me how great they are and why I shouldn't cancel my order? $400 is a lot of money but I really want one.

Last night was the end of the deal so I had to act quickly (ordered at 11:00pm my time). I found out that I have until it ships to cancel, then 30 days to return it for a full refund, in case I can't justify the cost.

Help me justify it!

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 7, 2002, 01:01 PM

i have an iPod and seeing is believing. Worth every penny.
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

Mark Tungston
Mac Elite
Dec 7, 2002, 01:03 PM

Originally posted by Xeo:

Help me justify it!
in about one month you will realize that you cant live without it

not just for mp3s either
snappy

Montanan
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 7, 2002, 01:06 PM

Originally posted by Mark Tungston:
in about one month you will realize that you cant live without it
What Mark said. Except it only took me about thirty seconds to come to that realization.

Just be sure that the first thing you do is reformat it for use with a Mac!!!

Xeo  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 7, 2002, 01:09 PM

Originally posted by Montanan:
Just be sure that the first thing you do is reformat it for use with a Mac!!!
Haha, of course!

dillerX
Professional Poster
Dec 7, 2002, 01:15 PM

Worth the price. Trust me!
I tried to sig-spam the forums.
ADVANTAGE Motorsports Marketing, Inc. • speedXdesign, Inc.

cjrivera
Professional Poster
Dec 7, 2002, 01:31 PM

They're horrible and useless......

(so send it to me when you get it!)

I love my 10gb iPod. And like many others here, don't know what I'd do without it.

Enjoy!

DNA man
Senior User
Dec 7, 2002, 03:47 PM

Congrats on your purchase!

I have the first 5Gb iPOD. I had thought that it was reallly pricey but now I have one, I'm glad I shelled out. Worth every penny. I'm thinking about a bigger one soon. May be the 10 gigger.

SupahCoolX
Mac Elite
Dec 7, 2002, 04:40 PM

If you do any sort of commuting, you will die without an iPod.
I spend about 2-2.5 hours a day on NYC buses and trains, and I just could not do it without the iPod. I get a constant stream of music (5.8 days' worth!), and I can quickly and easily pick any song/artist/album I want to listen to on a whim. I don't have to decide what songs I want to listen to before I leave the house in the morning because they're all with me all the time. I love it!

Cellery
Mac Elite
Dec 7, 2002, 04:58 PM

You definitely made the right decision, the newer iPods have a lot going for them. I upgraded from my 5GB to a 10GB and it's awesome. The solid-state touchwheel works great, though I miss the tactile feedback of the old one. The remote is also a must-have that Apple should have included with the 5GB models. Good purchase, and a good price too, only $9 more for an extra 10GB!

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 7, 2002, 06:22 PM

How did you get it for $409, when their web site lists it at $449?
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

shawnjoyce
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 7, 2002, 06:25 PM

^ see: "last night was the end of the deal"

Xeo  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 7, 2002, 07:13 PM

Originally posted by KarlG:
How did you get it for $409, when their web site lists it at $449?
Started at $499, add $5 for the CD-Rs, that puts it over $500. Then you can get $45 off (because the order is over $500), now take 10% of each item separately, and it comes down to $409. The $45 off thing ended last night.

Had to do it.

Phanguye
Mac Elite
Dec 7, 2002, 07:50 PM

the thing that really justifies it in my mind is that i use it for at least two hours a day everyday... really if you think about it that isnt much at all each day

mac-at-kearsarge
Mac Elite
Dec 8, 2002, 03:00 AM

Whoa! Wait a second! Apperently I'm a bit behing on my mac news. When did Dell (of all PC makers) start selling iPods? If this is true I VERY happy. Even if it's not a comp, at least some type of Apple product is quickly slithering their way into the PC market. And If they love our MP3 players so much, they will be Gaga about our comps.

Apperently Dell doesn't think to highly of our comps or otherwise they wouldn't be selling them. Personally I think it's nice of Dell to Help us gain a bigger percentage of the market.
iGeek

Thrax
Banned
Dec 8, 2002, 03:09 AM

I was under the impression that the Windows iPods had an entirely different firmware than the Mac ones. Isn't that why there are six iPods instead of three?

If I'm right, I assume it means that you'd have to manually add/remove every file you place on it with a Mac.

Anyone know?

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Dec 8, 2002, 03:11 AM

Wow, I hope not, that just sounds like a really stupid idea. But even if it were true, couldn't you just run the mac firmware updater?

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 8, 2002, 04:16 AM

Originally posted by mac-at-kearsarge:
Whoa! Wait a second! Apperently I'm a bit behing on my mac news. When did Dell (of all PC makers) start selling iPods? If this is true I VERY happy. Even if it's not a comp, at least some type of Apple product is quickly slithering their way into the PC market. And If they love our MP3 players so much, they will be Gaga about our comps.

Apperently Dell doesn't think to highly of our comps or otherwise they wouldn't be selling them. Personally I think it's nice of Dell to Help us gain a bigger percentage of the market.
Get your sig under control, man (see the sig guidelines). That thing is a monster.

Tomster
Senior User
Dec 8, 2002, 05:34 AM

Congrats on the iPod. Great price. I think I paid about the same for my 10 gig a couple of months ago. Oh well. Don't forget to flash your Fat32 Windows iPod to the Mac side. And make sure you have a 6 to 6 firewire cable. I think pc iPods come with 4 to 6 cables. Nothing more frustrating than not being able to use a new device because of one missing cable.

Xeo  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 8, 2002, 06:15 AM

Originally posted by Tomster:
And make sure you have a 6 to 6 firewire cable. I think pc iPods come with 4 to 6 cables.
I thought that too (and I already have a 6 to 6) but when reading the description, it says it comes with a "FireWire cable" and a "4 to 6 pin FW converter". That sounds like two separate pieces. On top of that, how would a PC person charge their iPod if they only had a 4 pin bus? Doesn't the power come from the other 2 pins or am I missing something?

[edit] Nevermind. It does come with a 6 to 6. It has an AC adapter for chargin and a 6 to 4 pin adapter for plugging into PCs without a 6 pin port. That's convenient. I'm thinking of getting an "iRock" so I can use it in the car. Hmm...
( Last edited by Xeo; Dec 8, 2002 at 06:32 AM. )

Xeo  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 8, 2002, 06:18 AM

Yes, your sig is way too big. The guidelines are posted right next to the "add signature" box in your profile. Please make your sig smaller.

And yes, Dell started selling iPods at the end of October. It was all over the Mac news for a while. I didn't think I'd ever actually buy one from them, though.

mac-at-kearsarge
Mac Elite
Dec 8, 2002, 11:56 AM

Sorry about the "out of control Sig" (It's actually the wrong one anyway!)!

Anyhoo. I got my iPod back in Oct for my B-Day. I got the 5Gb version. I went with that one has I couldn't afford a bigger one (And because I was able to get a Student discount on it at the Rockingham Park Apple Store ! ).

At first I felt bad about only being able to get the 5Gb since my MP3 collect is around 30 Gb or so. But to my surprise, relieve, and Joy, the 5 GB is perfect for me. I have the songs I want to listen to and I haven;t filled the thing up yet! I love the look my PC friends get ont heir faces when they see me using it (That alone was worth the cost!).
iGeek

Raman
Mac Elite
Dec 8, 2002, 02:34 PM

Anyone got a picture of the 4 pin to 6 pin firewire converter? I have a stupid Sony Vaio (actually I love it) and my g/f has a iBook. I've shyed away from using her 24x cd burner because it has a "real" firewire port, unlike my Vaio which has the 4 pin connector becuase Sony doesn't want to give us laptop users the choice of powering something with the 2 power pins or not (I know things like external cd recorders can't be powered by it since they draw more power than the FW puts out but still.).

And. is there any way I can get a converter separately without buying an iPod (trust me I want one but can't justify ~500 for one right now). Windows versions - do you want to sell me yours???

TIA.

-Raman

Drizzt
Mac Elite
Dec 8, 2002, 03:19 PM

I'd get a iPod if I had FireWire ports on my iBook...

mac-at-kearsarge
Mac Elite
Dec 9, 2002, 05:07 AM

Originally posted by Raman:
Anyone got a picture of the 4 pin to 6 pin firewire converter? I have a stupid Sony Vaio (actually I love it) and my g/f has a iBook. I've shyed away from using her 24x cd burner because it has a "real" firewire port, unlike my Vaio which has the 4 pin connector becuase Sony doesn't want to give us laptop users the choice of powering something with the 2 power pins or not (I know things like external cd recorders can't be powered by it since they draw more power than the FW puts out but still.).

And. is there any way I can get a converter separately without buying an iPod (trust me I want one but can't justify ~500 for one right now). Windows versions - do you want to sell me yours???

TIA.

-Raman
Actually on my Sony RX540 In the front under the door I have two USB and a 4 pin Firewire, however on the back I have a 6 pin firewire. So sony does have them on some models, I guess just not laptops. If I were you, I'd sell the VAIO and get a iBook for $999.00.
iGeek

Nimisys
Banned
Dec 9, 2002, 05:16 AM

Originally posted by Raman:

TIA.

-Raman
yeah i hear you on that damn 4 pin firewire port, my r505 is the same way. belkin makes a Type II crad with 2 6pins coming out of it.

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Dec 9, 2002, 10:38 AM

Originally posted by Drizzt:
I'd get a iPod if I had FireWire ports on my iBook...
Huh? I thought the original iBook up to the current 800 had FireWire?

hayesk
Dec 9, 2002, 10:41 AM

Originally posted by CheesePuff:

Huh? I thought the original iBook up to the current 800 had FireWire?
Nope, the second generation "clamshell" iBooks at 366 and 466MHz were the first to get firewire (and composite video output).

The original 300MHz and original 366 SE did not have firewire.

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 9, 2002, 04:01 PM

What is the URL to the Dell Apple iPod?

I can't find the darn thing using any of those great search tools. (sarcasm regarding great search tools)

fibroptikl
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 9, 2002, 04:05 PM

Originally posted by SupahCoolX:
If you do any sort of commuting, you will die without an iPod.
I spend about 2-2.5 hours a day on NYC buses and trains, and I just could not do it without the iPod. I get a constant stream of music (5.8 days' worth!), and I can quickly and easily pick any song/artist/album I want to listen to on a whim. I don't have to decide what songs I want to listen to before I leave the house in the morning because they're all with me all the time. I love it!
You sold me my friend. Now I have to go spend $400 and buy a 10GB iPod.

Why did I ever have to buy that iBook in the first place....

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 9, 2002, 05:01 PM

Me want iPod.

-Owl

austeros
Mac Elite
Dec 9, 2002, 06:50 PM

Originally posted by OwlBoy:
Me want iPod.

-Owl
me too

There's someone in my head but its not me...

mac-at-kearsarge
Mac Elite
Dec 9, 2002, 06:50 PM

Originally posted by driven:
What is the URL to the Dell Apple iPod?

I can't find the darn thing using any of those great search tools. (sarcasm regarding great search tools)
I'm not sure if this URL will work http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/p...ategory_id=462

But to get there (the long way), from the fromt of the mainpage you go Software and Perifphals (bar going accross)> (Then from the menu's on the right -with grey background) Home and Home Office > Accsessories > (Under the subcatogory multimedia) Audio > MP3 Players
They deffinitly don't make it easy!

I also noticed a link for "Dell Dude Merchandise", I think I'm gonna have to order a shirt from their, and "edit" it when I get it he he he!
iGeek

ReggieX
Professional Poster
Dec 9, 2002, 09:43 PM

Just be sure you FULLY charge the battery before you go do anything I wondered why mine was dead last night, I hadn't given it a full charge when I bought it.

I picked one up last Wednesday, 10GB model. 3 days of my new 1hr each way commute, and the thing's a godsend. Time to pull in some extra freelance work to pay for it!
The Lord said 'Peter, I can see your house from here.'

Cipher13
Dec 10, 2002, 04:18 AM

I'd love one, but...

5GB: $645
10GB: $845
20GB: $1045.

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 10, 2002, 09:25 AM

I'm not sure if this URL will work http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/p...ategory_id=462

But to get there (the long way), from the fromt of the mainpage you go Software and Perifphals (bar going accross)> (Then from the menu's on the right -with grey background) Home and Home Office > Accsessories > (Under the subcatogory multimedia) Audio > MP3 Players
They deffinitly don't make it easy!

I also noticed a link for "Dell Dude Merchandise", I think I'm gonna have to order a shirt from their, and "edit" it when I get it he he he!
Thank you. I appreciate it. Now I know where it is when the next sale kicks in. <GRIN> I'll be getting one ... eventually. (Along with one of those Dell PDAs to replace my crappy Compaq iPaq.

Thanks again.

Xeo  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 16, 2002, 06:21 PM

I got it, I got it!

I'm just about to update it to a Mac iPod. It works already, but I dont want it formatted for Windows.

Mark Tungston
Mac Elite
Dec 16, 2002, 07:12 PM

Originally posted by Xeo:
I got it, I got it!

I'm just about to update it to a Mac iPod. It works already, but I dont want it formatted for Windows.
i see you have "christened" it!

congrats....we have another new ipod owner in the world. be prepared for the Velocity -Happiness Engine�. it brings 25-30% pleasure increase and daily happiness over normal mp3 players
snappy

Producer
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 16, 2002, 07:27 PM

Dell may end up becoming the biggest iPod dealer! I was almost tempted to by their 20 inch flat screen the other day for $749

Xeo could you have applied the deal and gotten multiple ipods for that price? I want to give 3 away for gifts (and maybe one for myself)

Steve
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 16, 2002, 07:47 PM

Originally posted by Producer:
I want to give 3 away for gifts (and maybe one for myself)
I want you as my friend!!

Dell is always full of daily great deals. They rebrand a lot of good items (monitors, etc) and with their "suprise" discounts, free shipping etc. are actually a great place to order stuff from.

You remind me my wife… why you laugh? She dead. | sasper at gmail dot com

Xeo  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 17, 2002, 06:44 AM

Originally posted by Steve:
They rebrand a lot of good items (monitors, etc) and with their "suprise" discounts, free shipping etc. are actually a great place to order stuff from.
Except if you want a computer.

Producer, I don't think there was a limit as to how many you can buy. The deal ended on the 12th, but I'm sure other deals will come. They do offer good prices on all their stuff.

For those intersted, I named it "スミス" (sumisu, which is Japanese for Smith). The story behind that is in my Japanese textbook, one of the most common names in examples was スミス. My roommate came up with it.

mac-at-kearsarge
Mac Elite
Dec 17, 2002, 06:54 AM

Originally posted by Mark Tungston:

i see you have "christened" it!

congrats....we have another new ipod owner in the world. be prepared for the Velocity -Happiness Engine�. it brings 25-30% pleasure increase and daily happiness over normal mp3 players
R O T F L M A O!!!!!!!!!!!!! In the immortal words of Homer Simpson: "It's funny because it's true!"
iGeek

Producer
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 17, 2002, 09:39 AM

well i think i am going to wait till Macworld before I buy them cause I think we will see an update there and a price drop...

I wonder when Dell is selling the 20 gig ipods for less than $450 or that 20 inch monitor for 750 are they loosing money on them?

also I was thinking with the monitor...I don't think Dell's current monitors are compatible with this system (and neither are Apples) but for 750 * 3 + 250 (cost of stand)= $2500 I could this 60" panarama display

Display Stand

Xeo  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 17, 2002, 10:20 AM

Originally posted by Producer:
well i think i am going to wait till Macworld before I buy them cause I think we will see an update there and a price drop...
Don't count on it.

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 17, 2002, 10:24 AM

I got an iPod for my teenager daughter for xmas this year. Luky girl. I wish I had one!
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

Producer
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 17, 2002, 11:07 AM

"Don't count on it."

Why do you say that? Probably at CES we are going to see even more similar mp3 harddrive players so I believe Apple needs to do something to keep its lead...

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 17, 2002, 12:29 PM

Originally posted by Thrax:
I was under the impression that the Windows iPods had an entirely different firmware than the Mac ones. Isn't that why there are six iPods instead of three?

If I'm right, I assume it means that you'd have to manually add/remove every file you place on it with a Mac.

Anyone know?
Windows iPods are formatted with the FAT file system.

Mac iPods are formatted with the HFS file system.

This is done, because Windows can't read HFS without software like MacDrive- Rather than install software to read it, Apple just formats them so Windows can understand.

Macs can read FAT and use the Windows iPods normally as the hard disk, far easier for Apple to make things less complicated on Mac by using all the same filesystem.

The "firmware" is the same, the partition is all that's different. The "firmware" is simply software that's loaded on the harddrive. The only real firmware there is the firewire interface for the hard drive.
If this post is in the Lounge forum, it is likely to be my own opinion, and not representative of the position of MacNN.com.

Peter753
Forum Regular
Dec 17, 2002, 05:52 PM

Does it void your warrenty to reformat a PC ipod for mac?

Mac Zealot
Professional Poster
Dec 17, 2002, 07:11 PM

Originally posted by Peter753:
Does it void your warrenty to reformat a PC ipod for mac?
I doubt it.
In a realm beyond site, the sky shines gold, not blue, there the Triforce's might makes mortal dreams come true.

Forum Links
Forum Rules