Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Bought A 1GB Shuffle

Bought A 1GB Shuffle
Agent69
Mac Elite
Feb 27, 2005, 09:20 PM

I happen to live pretty close to a Best Buy. I noticed that the Sunday advertisements for Best Buy listed the Shuffle, so I went over there to see if they actually had any. To my surprise, they had one 512MB and one 1GB left. I picked up the 1 GB model.

It is a lot smaller than I was expecting but I think that I will be very happy with it. I bought it because I wanted something to listen to while I do my exercising (I walk 4 to 6 miles per day).
Agent69

jamil5454
Mac Elite
Feb 28, 2005, 01:00 AM

Congratulations. I too bought a 1gb Shuffle (also from Best Buy). I was very happy with it, except that 1gb is a LOT of songs to try to fish through when you want to hear a certain song. But once the new iPod minis came out I returned it. After all, if I could get a mini with an 18hr(!) battery life for $30 more why not? I'm waiting for my mini to ship. But now I'm worrying about the mini's HD. Do you think it'll be ok in my pocket while jogging and exercising?

The nice thing about the Shuffle is that it's so durable. It's so light it could easily fall about 15-20 feet and be ok. It also feels very solidly constructed. Sigh... one drop with the mini could be the end...

Disgruntled Head of C-3PO
Professional Poster
Feb 28, 2005, 01:15 AM

Originally posted by jamil5454:
Congratulations. I too bought a 1gb Shuffle (also from Best Buy). I was very happy with it, except that 1gb is a LOT of songs to try to fish through when you want to hear a certain song. But once the new iPod minis came out I returned it. After all, if I could get a mini with an 18hr(!) battery life for $30 more why not? I'm waiting for my mini to ship. But now I'm worrying about the mini's HD. Do you think it'll be ok in my pocket while jogging and exercising?
I'd pay $30 MORE for the shuffle just for the small size and connivence of it.
"Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

jamil5454
Mac Elite
Feb 28, 2005, 10:59 AM

Sigh.

Well, I can't return my mini since it's got a personal engraving on it.

cpac
Professional Poster
Feb 28, 2005, 11:53 AM

woohoo - picked up my 512 at the Apple Store in Soho (where they seemed to have an ample supply of both 512 & 1GB suffles) yesterday - used it at the gym this morning. The weight and size difference from my 3G 40GB is huge!

Now I just have to wait for the armbands to ship in sufficient quantities for me to get one...
cpac

legacyb4
Mac Elite
Feb 28, 2005, 01:19 PM

My 1GB shuffle shipped and I'm waiting for delivery...
Macbook (Black) C2D/250GB/3GB | G5/1.6 250GBx2/2.0GB
Free Mobile Ringtone & Games Uploader | Flickr | Twitter

jmcfadden06
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 28, 2005, 01:39 PM

I just got my 1gb ipod shuffle a day ago. Its just as great and easy to use as my 20gb ipod and its so light. It was perfect for my morning jog. I wasn't able to find it in the Bestbuy or CC by me, so i had to have it shipped. To my suprise it only took 2 days.......so happy!!!1 GB ipod shuffle

Ricky
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 28, 2005, 05:26 PM

I bought a 512MB Shuffle when they first came out, but I won a 1GB Shuffle from macosxcocktail.com a couple of weeks ago. I gave my Dad the 512 as an unexpected gift. It's great at the gym.

maCCer
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 28, 2005, 08:12 PM

As i am in NZ, it took age for thoes apple center to get some shuffles, lucky me, i just got one(512MB) ,which i order 3weeks ago .
i thought it really cool, light, convient, And, it can be seen by everyone who pass me, as we can hang it on ,haha, cooooolll.
waiting for the sport case though
There were once four people named Everybody, Somebody, Nobody and Anybody. Somebody had to do a job, but Nobody wanted to do it. Nobody could see that Anybody could do it, and Somebody got angry about that because it was Everybody's job. Nobody ended up doing it, and it so happened that Everybody blamed Somebody when Nobody did what Anybody could have done.

maCCer
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 28, 2005, 08:14 PM

Originally posted by Ricky:
I bought a 512MB Shuffle when they first came out, but I won a 1GB Shuffle from macosxcocktail.com a couple of weeks ago. I gave my Dad the 512 as an unexpected gift. It's great at the gym.
congratuations on your winning, i never got such a good luck
enjoy you shuffle,Ricky
There were once four people named Everybody, Somebody, Nobody and Anybody. Somebody had to do a job, but Nobody wanted to do it. Nobody could see that Anybody could do it, and Somebody got angry about that because it was Everybody's job. Nobody ended up doing it, and it so happened that Everybody blamed Somebody when Nobody did what Anybody could have done.

Ricky
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 28, 2005, 08:18 PM

Originally posted by maCCer:
congratuations on your winning, i never got such a good luck
enjoy you shuffle,Ricky
Thanks, I was excited to have won something. Thankfully, luck wasn't too much of a factor because in order to enter, I had to write a review of Cocktail and submit it. So, I won based on my writing and a little bit of luck.

as2
Mac Elite
Feb 28, 2005, 08:54 PM

I went to look at the TV's in John Lewis here in the UK, as mine has died a horrible death, and ended up impulse buying myself a birthday present of a 1GB Shuffle.

Didn't expect them to have any, as JL usually take a couple of months to get new Apple stuff, but asked the sales guy, and 20 seconds later he thrust one into my hand... After that I couldn't put it down!

I use it with some Nike headphones at the gym. I've still got my 2g 10GB ipod that I use when travelling, but it was awkward when running... but the Shuffle... I think the headphones weigh more, and it's fing tiny!

Have also found it extremly useful when popping over to see friends, and sharing photo's etc with them as a storage device.

Only thing is, I am using an old G3 tower at the moment, so can't wait until I get a new iMac with it's USB2 connection.

Adam
[img=http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/1300/desktj.jpg]

b11051973
Forum Regular
Feb 28, 2005, 11:59 PM

I have a 1 gig shuffle and love it. I knew the thing was small, but was shocked when I held it in my hands. I've also got a 1st gen mini, but use my shuffle a lot more. It's just so tiny!!

I actually wouldn't mind selling my mini and maybe picking up a 60 gig photo. I bought the mini because it was small. Now that I have something smaller, I wouldn't mind something big for other purposes.

guywithFX
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 2, 2005, 06:42 PM

so i went to an apple store last night to look at and try out the new shuffles and possible purchase a512mb. i ended leaving with 2 1gigs, one for myself, and one for my dad (he saw them and was kind of sold, he hates technology but loves the shuffle, kinda funny actually). i emptied all my music onto it when i got home and have been using constantly all during school today. i can't wait to take it up to the mountain later today for snowboard team practice, which was part of my choice in purchasing that i could have something small to just rock out to on the slopes. so far after about 5 hours of "normal use" i have seen absolutely no decline in battery life whatsoever. i absolutely love it and would sadly take it over my 3rd gen 15gig ANY DAY. it's an absolute gem and i can't help but love all th attention i have gotten for it already just today. i would strongly reccomend a shuffle to anyone. go to a retailer and try one out. my three main buying concerns was battery life, interface, and sound quality. the battery is great so far, interfacejust couldn't have been done any better on this great little device, and the sound quality is great with the ipod headphones. i assume you'll be able to hear differently with aftermarket headphones. i like heavy bass with my music usually, but this doesn't sound bad at all. i'm curious to know if itunes adjust the EQ in the song or something as it downloads songs to adjust to different styles of music or something because it is great quality, from rock to techno to even a classical song or two, it's the best 150 bucks i have ever spent. i would reccomend one to anyone anyday.

EDIT: i just thought of this, but another great thing about the mini that i love is the the only moving part is slider on the back, no hard drive, therefor no skipping, no waiting for cache to load new songs. just music all the time.

btw i just got back from the mountain and used it the whole time, while boarding and while in the van going up and back, and i would like to happily inform you all that after about 10 hours of use today, the battery LED is still green, meaning there is still a great portion of the battery left.
( Last edited by guywithFX; Mar 3, 2005 at 03:19 AM. )
12" PowerBook G4 1.5GHz/1.25GB RAM/80GB/SuperDrive
1GB iPod Shuffle, 15GB 3rd Gen iPod, 80GB Black iPod Video

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 2, 2005, 06:58 PM

i went to the apple store near where i live and they had them in stock. it was the fist time i have ever seen them. they are so small. i walked out with a 512mb one.

i have far too much music to use it constantly, but i needed a usb flash card and i can't argue with having an ipod shuffle as well.

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 2, 2005, 08:48 PM

i Just got the 1GB model. It'll be great for taking with me camping/hiking/ Cycling or just walking. I would rather not take my 40 GB iPod Photo camping with me. It might break or something. I would be okay and not in as big a monetary pinch if I broke the Shuffle.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

Forum Links
Forum Rules