Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > macbook switched at store

macbook switched at store
Thread Tools
agalinfl
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Dec 2006
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Dec 21, 2006, 05:23 PM
 
Today I went to the Apple store to return the DC Blackbook... I bought the machine 10 or so days ago when my ibook g3 crashed... I bought a new in the box never opened cd Blackbook... Last week I went back to Apple to have them check the fan and they said the noisy thing was within specs - Since I am not happy with it I decided that it was worth it to return it and pay the restock fee. At the counter the clerk starts wiggin out that she has never seen anything like this and that the computer and box both have differeent serial numbers - and asks me if I swapped the machine ?!? The guy standing next to her had sold it to me and pipes up - "We switched it - When we opened the new machine it didn't work so we swapped it out." I still can't believe that when I picked this machine up he never disclosed that info - I bought a new in the box machine and payed for one - while they gave me a refurb. I was so angry and not feeling well that I figured I will take this up with Apple. I am stunned that the employee saw it as completely okay to sell me one thing and give me another - I think it was deceptive. Given that my area store has a manager that is pretty questionable - I would only consider addressing this matter with corporate. What would you do? Do you think swapping computers without telling the customer is okay? I think they should at least refund the restock fee... I will never not check serial numbers again when Apple is involved.
     
C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: eating kernel
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Dec 21, 2006, 06:59 PM
 
Not all Apple employees are like this, btw.

But for switching the MacBooks does seem bad. I really don't know what to say...
Signature depreciated.
     
imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Washington + Colorado
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Dec 21, 2006, 07:04 PM
 
Wow. If Steve Jobs was there he would have fired those guys on the spot. Try reporting them to Apple and taking your 'Book somewhere decent.
     
agalinfl  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Dec 2006
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Dec 21, 2006, 07:11 PM
 
I still can't believe this happened at an APPLE store... I would never have expected it there. I learned a lesson today...
     
C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: eating kernel
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Dec 21, 2006, 07:28 PM
 
Originally Posted by agalinfl View Post
I still can't believe this happened at an APPLE store... I would never have expected it there. I learned a lesson today...
...that, because of 2 disgruntled (if I may use that term) Apple employees, all Apple employees are not to be trusted.

I will say it again: not ALL Apple employees are bad.
Signature depreciated.
     
Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: England | San Francisco
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Dec 21, 2006, 07:53 PM
 
how do you know they're disgruntled? have you met them? no?
I'll bare this in mind if i go to an apple store
we don't have time to stop for gas
     
imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Washington + Colorado
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Dec 21, 2006, 08:15 PM
 
I don't buy from the Apple Store ( at least the physical store) that often because things like this happen. The last Mac that I, or rather my family, bought at a physical store was a Power Mac 6100 back in the day. I don't even think it was a real Apple Store, but we had a horrid experience. Everything since then I've bought from The Apple Store (U.S.).
     
agalinfl  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Dec 2006
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Dec 21, 2006, 10:33 PM
 
The fact that someone would not recognize that switching machines without my knowledge is fradulent is astounding - Apple should have returned the bad machine, opened another brand new unit and provided it with its box to me... And the Apple employee should have disclosed what occured and ensured that I had a receipt, box and computer that matched. What happened was FRAUD and had I not happened to return this machine I can only imagine the difficulty I would have encountered down the road if I happened to read the serial number off the box vs. off the machine when speaking to applecare, etc. This was a case of BAD business at the very least.
     
C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: eating kernel
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Dec 21, 2006, 11:30 PM
 
Originally Posted by Peter View Post
how do you know they're disgruntled? have you met them? no?
I'll bare this in mind if i go to an apple store
There disgruntled because they switched them out.
Signature depreciated.
     
theokandroid
Forum Regular
Join Date: Jan 2006
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Dec 22, 2006, 02:22 AM
 
Yes this is completely not cool. Take it up with Apple, Why would they do that though?
     
dn15
Dedicated MacNNer
Join Date: Nov 2000
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Dec 22, 2006, 05:29 AM
 
Originally Posted by agalinfl View Post
Apple should have returned the bad machine, opened another brand new unit and provided it with its box to me...
Absolutely. Actually I'm shocked they did this, because in addition to potential problems for you registering AppleCare and such, switching boxes is just asking for trouble in inventory. I work at an authorized reseller (not an official Apple Store), though I'm in the service department, not sales -- and our inventory people would probably murder anyone who did what you described.
     
shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: The deep backwoods of Idaho
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Dec 22, 2006, 02:24 PM
 
Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
I don't buy from the Apple Store ( at least the physical store) that often because things like this happen. The last Mac that I, or rather my family, bought at a physical store was a Power Mac 6100 back in the day. I don't even think it was a real Apple Store, but we had a horrid experience. Everything since then I've bought from The Apple Store (U.S.).
Good point... Apple's ridiculous return policy is one of the things that has kept me from buying a NEW Mac. My boyfriend and I both own Apple laptops, but we got them on eBay.

I know that plenty of people here obviously prefer Apple to other computer manufacturers, but I think this is one place where Apple sorely falls short. Dell has an excellent "20-day satisfaction" policy. If you buy something and regret it or just decide you don't want it, Dell will give you 20 days from the delivery date to return your computer, no questions asked. They'll even send you a return shipping label so you don't lose out on any shipping fees.

It would be nice if Apple would do this. Considering the premium prices on some of their machines, I'd feel a lot better about spending $2500 on something if I knew I could return it if I needed to, without eating $300 of the expense.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.
     
Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Calgary
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Dec 22, 2006, 02:53 PM
 
Originally Posted by shifuimam View Post
Good point... Apple's ridiculous return policy is one of the things that has kept me from buying a NEW Mac. My boyfriend and I both own Apple laptops, but we got them on eBay.

I know that plenty of people here obviously prefer Apple to other computer manufacturers, but I think this is one place where Apple sorely falls short. Dell has an excellent "20-day satisfaction" policy. If you buy something and regret it or just decide you don't want it, Dell will give you 20 days from the delivery date to return your computer, no questions asked. They'll even send you a return shipping label so you don't lose out on any shipping fees.

It would be nice if Apple would do this. Considering the premium prices on some of their machines, I'd feel a lot better about spending $2500 on something if I knew I could return it if I needed to, without eating $300 of the expense.
That's why I buy my Apple products from Best Buy rather than Apple.
     
cSurfr
Grizzled Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2002
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Dec 22, 2006, 02:59 PM
 
I'm curious. . .

1) if you bought a new Black Macbook that was still sealed, how did the employee swap the machines? You would have to have broken the seal at the store. Apple doesn't check every machine that leaves the store unless you ask them to, and then it's off to the genius. The sales guy isn't going to boot your machine for you.

2) if in fact he did somehow pull that off, how do you know it was a refurb? I ask because I purchased a refurb model from Apple.com, and you can't tell the difference between them. In fact, when I call in for support, they never even mention that mine is a refurb.

3) Apple brick and mortar stores don't carry refurbished equipment. They only carry refreshed, and there is certainly a difference.

I'm still caught up in how they managed to swap machines right in front of you and you didn't notice. It almost sounds to me like someone is trying to pull a fast one on Apple. . .
-How pumped would you be driving home from work, knowing someplace in your house there's a monkey you're gonna battle?
     
cSurfr
Grizzled Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2002
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Dec 22, 2006, 03:03 PM
 
Originally Posted by cSurfr View Post
I'm curious. . .

1) if you bought a new Black Macbook that was still sealed, how did the employee swap the machines? You would have to have broken the seal at the store. Apple doesn't check every machine that leaves the store unless you ask them to, and then it's off to the genius. The sales guy isn't going to boot your machine for you.

2) if in fact he did somehow pull that off, how do you know it was a refurb? I ask because I purchased a refurb model from Apple.com, and you can't tell the difference between them. In fact, when I call in for support, they never even mention that mine is a refurb.

3) Apple brick and mortar stores don't carry refurbished equipment. They only carry refreshed, and there is certainly a difference.

I'm still caught up in how they managed to swap machines right in front of you and you didn't notice. It almost sounds to me like someone is trying to pull a fast one on Apple. . .
Oh, and one more thing I noticed in your original post. . . .You say the employee says "when we opened it up, it didn't work so I switched it" WE, as in Apple? or WE as in You and Him? Because as I mention above, Apple isn't going to open that box unless you ask, and if that's the case you would have watched everything he did with your new baby at the genius bar. . . Since you didn't mention the first one not working (and they would have powered it up in front of you) tells me that something is really off with your story.
-How pumped would you be driving home from work, knowing someplace in your house there's a monkey you're gonna battle?
     
Javizun
Mac Enthusiast
Join Date: Oct 2005
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Dec 22, 2006, 03:10 PM
 
You know what i like apple but to think apple is not capable of doing something like this
is just being naive to business in general.

At the end of the day apple is not a family member or your best friend
they are after your money with an image that shows they care but they dont.

true they where employees but they represent apple. And who knows i remember wokring for best buy and they use to tell us and coach us on secret procdures only employees knew about.
some people need to drop the whole WOW I AM SURPRISED APPLE DID THIS.
smell the cofee and open your eyes your favorite company doesnt care about you.
A.I.R (ART IS RESISTANCE)
     
cSurfr
Grizzled Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2002
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Dec 22, 2006, 03:31 PM
 
Originally Posted by Javizun View Post
You know what i like apple but to think apple is not capable of doing something like this
is just being naive to business in general.

At the end of the day apple is not a family member or your best friend
they are after your money with an image that shows they care but they dont.

true they where employees but they represent apple. And who knows i remember wokring for best buy and they use to tell us and coach us on secret procdures only employees knew about.
some people need to drop the whole WOW I AM SURPRISED APPLE DID THIS.
smell the cofee and open your eyes your favorite company doesnt care about you.
I never said Apple Employees weren't capable of doing what was mentioned above, I'm just saying his story seems a little suspect. I'm pretty sure there isn't a corporate memo floating around cupertino a'la Packard Bell to pad the bottom line.
-How pumped would you be driving home from work, knowing someplace in your house there's a monkey you're gonna battle?
     
agalinfl  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Dec 2006
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Dec 22, 2006, 04:12 PM
 
[QUOTE=cSurfr;3247938]I'm curious. . .

1) if you bought a new Black Macbook that was still sealed, how did the employee swap the machines? You would have to have broken the seal at the store. Apple doesn't check every machine that leaves the store unless you ask them to, and then it's off to the genius. The sales guy isn't going to boot your machine for you.

2) if in fact he did somehow pull that off, how do you know it was a refurb? I ask because I purchased a refurb model from Apple.com, and you can't tell the difference between them. In fact, when I call in for support, they never even mention that mine is a refurb.


From the top... My ibook G3 crashed... The genius thought that they could still migrate the data at no cost if I bought a new one... It ended up that they had to pull the drive and I paid a service charge... So I picked out a new sealed in the box computer (the only sealed black cd in the store) and paid for it...They had the new one to put the old info on... A few hours later I had to come in and pick up my machine.
Again, I know it was a not new computer because when I went to return the machine there was a problem with serial numbers. The guy who sold it to me told the clerk in front of me what had occured when the service guy opened the machine and that they had swapped the machine. In summary, 3 apple employees are aware of a new machine being changed with a refurb/refreshed unit and that the buyer had no idea - Yet not one of them saw this as a problem.
     
peterauch21
Junior Member
Join Date: Oct 2006
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Dec 22, 2006, 04:18 PM
 
Not enough information in the users posts to jump on the "OMG HOW COULD APPLE DO THIS?!" bandwagon.
     
agalinfl  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Dec 2006
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Dec 22, 2006, 04:24 PM
 
Originally Posted by peterauch21 View Post
Not enough information in the users posts to jump on the "OMG HOW COULD APPLE DO THIS?!" bandwagon.
I really don't need your empathy... I see this as a warning that if you buy a computer or have one serviced (even from Apple) check the serial number before and after you go. Since I have owned 7 of their computers and am a longtime customer I really never expected this to happen.
     
cSurfr
Grizzled Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2002
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Dec 22, 2006, 06:22 PM
 
[QUOTE=agalinfl;3248038]
Originally Posted by cSurfr View Post
I'm curious. . .

1) if you bought a new Black Macbook that was still sealed, how did the employee swap the machines? You would have to have broken the seal at the store. Apple doesn't check every machine that leaves the store unless you ask them to, and then it's off to the genius. The sales guy isn't going to boot your machine for you.

2) if in fact he did somehow pull that off, how do you know it was a refurb? I ask because I purchased a refurb model from Apple.com, and you can't tell the difference between them. In fact, when I call in for support, they never even mention that mine is a refurb.


From the top... My ibook G3 crashed... The genius thought that they could still migrate the data at no cost if I bought a new one... It ended up that they had to pull the drive and I paid a service charge... So I picked out a new sealed in the box computer (the only sealed black cd in the store) and paid for it...They had the new one to put the old info on... A few hours later I had to come in and pick up my machine.
Again, I know it was a not new computer because when I went to return the machine there was a problem with serial numbers. The guy who sold it to me told the clerk in front of me what had occured when the service guy opened the machine and that they had swapped the machine. In summary, 3 apple employees are aware of a new machine being changed with a refurb/refreshed unit and that the buyer had no idea - Yet not one of them saw this as a problem.
What you stated above makes a lot more sense than the original post. It's not that I couldn't see Apple doing it, it's that I didn't understand how they could do it right in front of you without your knowledge. Email steve, and a executive customer relations person will call you. . . they did for me anyway.
-How pumped would you be driving home from work, knowing someplace in your house there's a monkey you're gonna battle?
     
m_young
Forum Regular
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: the nasty nati
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Dec 22, 2006, 07:24 PM
 
You should definitely get something for this. That's definitely uncalled for.
     
chipchen
Mac Elite
Join Date: Oct 2002
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Dec 23, 2006, 12:32 AM
 
That's weird... when I worked at the Apple store... when there was a problem with a brand new machine, we just put it back and took a whole new one. We wouldn't have put the new one in the box of the defective one, we would have just taken the new box and all.

You should talk to the store manager (or asst manager)... I'm 85% sure they will refund the restock fee.
     
zaffel
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Dec 2006
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Dec 23, 2006, 01:42 AM
 
I have always (sense 1998) bought from the online store and have never had a single problem with any product or service. my 6th mac is a mbp c2d and am loving it. All still work perfectly and are happy rendering large projects together.
On the other hand my brother bought a g4 from the apple store Shamsborg Il. 4 years or so ago and a macbook 4 months ago and he has had noting but problems with the products and the service.
Im not shure if its bad luck but I know where my next mac pro is going to come from... strait from Shanghai to Alaska to my door step again! via the online store. sorry to hear your having problems I hope you get it resolved.
     
brokenjago
Mac Elite
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Los Angeles, California
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Dec 23, 2006, 03:56 AM
 
[quote]It would be nice if Apple would do this. Considering the premium prices on some of their machines, I'd feel a lot better about spending $2500 on something if I knew I could return it if I needed to, without eating $300 of the expense.[/quote

Two words: Fry's Electronics.

All Apple desktops come witha 30 day no-qustions asked return for a full refund, with no restocking fee assesed. Portables are 15 days.

And also, if you're in the Burbank store, come to me for friendly Mac sales assistance! (serioauly, no one except me and two others know *anything* about Macs. They're idiots. Stay away from Daniel Friedman.)
Linkinus is king.
     
agalinfl  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Dec 2006
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Dec 23, 2006, 09:28 AM
 
I wanted to share my story update with you... Called Customer Service and after a 45 minute wait all they could do was tell me that the store manager would call me - If I wanted to speak with him I would have when this transaction occurred - What a waste of time. Then last night I decided to try to find a logic board for my old machine... After reading on the internet about some people having success putting a shim in their computers I pulled my ibook g3 out of the closet - Please remember that this is the machine that had a 4 mo old logic board in it that Apple told me couldn't be fixed and that I bought a new computer to replace... Imagine my shock when the machine started... I am typing this update on my old g3. So I can only guess that when the service guy pulled the old hard drive to retrieve my data and reinstalled it - the video card was able to make a better connection.
I am thrilled to have my computer working for the time being but my experiences with my local retail store were pretty bad. I will not be going back to that place anytime soon nor will I continue to encourage my friends to use them. My procare membership is going to waste... I am going to take someone's suggestions and write to Steve - I no longer care about having my restock fee reimbursed I just want him to know what a longtime customer experienced as service.
     
chipchen
Mac Elite
Join Date: Oct 2002
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Dec 23, 2006, 03:34 PM
 
Which Apple Store was this BTW?
     
jasong
Mac Elite
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Allston, MA, USA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Dec 23, 2006, 07:56 PM
 
Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
The last Mac that I, or rather my family, bought at a physical store was a Power Mac 6100 back in the day. I don't even think it was a real Apple Store.
Definitely not as there were no Apple stores back then.

Something still sounds strange about this. Why are you so reluctant to talk to the store manager? He/She is the one who manages the store (hence the title), which includes the employees. Steve doesn't know who the employees are, the manager does. Seriously, what this kid apparently did makes no sense at all, and the manager should know about it. Calling Apple corporate is simply wasting your time. Start with the lowest branch that can solve your problem, if you don't get a resolution there, then you escalate.
-- Jason
     
shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: The deep backwoods of Idaho
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Dec 23, 2006, 10:52 PM
 
[QUOTE=brokenjago;3248430]
It would be nice if Apple would do this. Considering the premium prices on some of their machines, I'd feel a lot better about spending $2500 on something if I knew I could return it if I needed to, without eating $300 of the expense.[/quote

Two words: Fry's Electronics.

All Apple desktops come witha 30 day no-qustions asked return for a full refund, with no restocking fee assesed. Portables are 15 days.

And also, if you're in the Burbank store, come to me for friendly Mac sales assistance! (serioauly, no one except me and two others know *anything* about Macs. They're idiots. Stay away from Daniel Friedman.)
Really? I looked up the return policy on Frys.com, and it mentioned that opened Apple computers were subject to a 15% restocking fee unless defective. Maybe that's just the online return policy; the B&M policy is different..

Useful info, though. Thanks!!
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.
     
agalinfl  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Dec 2006
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Dec 24, 2006, 12:42 AM
 
Originally Posted by jasong View Post
Definitely not as there were no Apple stores back then.

Something still sounds strange about this. Why are you so reluctant to talk to the store manager? He/She is the one who manages the store (hence the title), which includes the employees. Steve doesn't know who the employees are, the manager does. Seriously, what this kid apparently did makes no sense at all, and the manager should know about it. Calling Apple corporate is simply wasting your time. Start with the lowest branch that can solve your problem, if you don't get a resolution there, then you escalate.
I have personally dealt with our area store manager before. When I took the macbook to Apple because I found it to be hot and noisy I spoke with the Store Manager that day - and I did not appreciate his attitude. I have shopped at this location long enough and spoken to enough of his employees that I feel fairly certain how he views things. I believe this whole event occurred because he has established an environment that would allow it. So, from my recent and knowledge I have no interest in dealing with him especially because his leadership permitted this event - in my view.

You know there is nothing strange about this story it is true and has been reported to Apple. I am holding a sale receipt and return receipt with different serial numbers - There is no question what occurred. I find it astounding that in my merely suggesting that people may want to check the serial numbers of the equipment they take in for service - be it to apple or someone else -there are some who are suspect of motives. I have deliberately not named the employees involved or the store location to not be disparaging.

As I indicated earlier at this point I am happy that I do not own the problematic macbook and that my supposedly dead computer miraculously returned to life inspite of the genius' assesment. I will not be having this machine serviced again at my local apple store that is for sure.
     
webb3201
Senior User
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Dallas, Texas
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Dec 24, 2006, 07:56 PM
 
That is a crazy process. How in the heck were you going to be able to validate registration. They had good intentions but did not think it through very well.
Read my MacWebb column and other great Mac articles at Lowendmac.com

Owner of a MacBook Pro and various other Macs.
     
ophiochos
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Nov 2006
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Dec 24, 2006, 09:21 PM
 
Here in England, you can return an Apple within two weeks (without a restocking fee, as far as i know) without any fuss. Are you saying you can't do the same there? I can't quite make sense of the original story to be honest (what was the interval between it being swapped out and you returning it? Was it pure luck the guy was standing there and remembered you?). Most of all, while I appreciate that the serial mismatch/not telling you what they were doing is out of order, I just can't see why you are saying it was a refurbished one. Sounds like they put a brand new one in instead. is that really so bad? they should have told you, yes. They should have given you the right box, yes, no question. But talking about a refurb seems to really muddy the issue. Or am I missing something?
     
agalinfl  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Dec 2006
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Dec 24, 2006, 11:48 PM
 
In the states you have 14 days to return a machine and you are subject to a 10% restock fee... The computer was switched the day I purchased it - bought the machine and left if at apple for them to transfer information to the new macbook. I found out that my new machine had been switched with a refurb when I went to return the macbook (It ran hot and noisy). There was a problem when the computer, box and serial number did not match - the guy who sold it to me was standing nearby and piped up to explain why the numbers did not match and to tell the cleck that he and the service tech had swapped the machine.
     
Agent69
Mac Elite
Join Date: Jun 2000
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Dec 25, 2006, 12:17 AM
 
This whole thread is very odd, and frankly I don't suspect that this kind of thing is something that happens everyday.

Perhaps the best thing to do is when buying a Mac, take a second and verify that the Mac's serial number matches the box. If you take one in for any reason that results in the Mac not being in eyesight, verify the serial when you get it back. These suggestions might be overkill but it will ensure that you have the correct machine; important when you consider that things like Applecare are tied to a serial number.
Agent69
     
Hugmup
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Nov 2006
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Dec 27, 2006, 10:23 AM
 
This is like a pair of socks. If you have a mismatched pair, you're going to have a second mismatched pair. In this case, were two computers and two boxes. If your computer didn't match its box, the nonfunctioning computer wouldn't match its box either. They wouldn't be able to send it back. That would result in an inventory problem. So would disposing of the computer in any other way. Since most jurisdictions have a tax on inventory, there's no way this could go unnoticed, not to mention unpunished. The store manager would get in trouble.

Even if they threw the nonfunctioning computer in the dumpster and took the cost out of the store profit, there would still be an inventory discrepancy that would be visible to Apple.

So if this happened the way it is presented in the original post, the best person to go to is the store manager, since that's the person with the strongest motivation to fix it.
     
theokandroid
Forum Regular
Join Date: Jan 2006
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Dec 29, 2006, 04:33 AM
 
I work for the Apple Store and they know when one computer is missing. There's no way that they wouldn't know about the inventory problem like hugmup said above.
     
agalinfl  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Dec 2006
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Dec 30, 2006, 03:36 PM
 
They knew what they did... I did not and was not asked if it was okay with me... That was the problem.
     
molarszbt18
Forum Regular
Join Date: Dec 2006
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Dec 31, 2006, 12:43 PM
 
[QUOTE=agalinfl;3248038]
Originally Posted by cSurfr View Post
I'm curious. . .

1) if you bought a new Black Macbook that was still sealed, how did the employee swap the machines? You would have to have broken the seal at the store. Apple doesn't check every machine that leaves the store unless you ask them to, and then it's off to the genius. The sales guy isn't going to boot your machine for you.

2) if in fact he did somehow pull that off, how do you know it was a refurb? I ask because I purchased a refurb model from Apple.com, and you can't tell the difference between them. In fact, when I call in for support, they never even mention that mine is a refurb.


From the top... My ibook G3 crashed... The genius thought that they could still migrate the data at no cost if I bought a new one... It ended up that they had to pull the drive and I paid a service charge... So I picked out a new sealed in the box computer (the only sealed black cd in the store) and paid for it...They had the new one to put the old info on... A few hours later I had to come in and pick up my machine.
Again, I know it was a not new computer because when I went to return the machine there was a problem with serial numbers. The guy who sold it to me told the clerk in front of me what had occured when the service guy opened the machine and that they had swapped the machine. In summary, 3 apple employees are aware of a new machine being changed with a refurb/refreshed unit and that the buyer had no idea - Yet not one of them saw this as a problem.

JUST and FYI. How do you know it was a refurbished unit you got? Apple stores do NOT sell refurbished units. They do sell refresh units which depending on how new the computer is might be only $100 off because they were opened. I would think this store opened a new one and swaped boxes by accident. So your new machine went in to the box that the defective machine went in to. Also I dont see how they need to disclose this info to you unless they did give you a refresh machine but even in that case you would see it on your receipt.

Before spouting off relax and calm down. Make sure you get your facts straight cuz you can look like an idiot when you go and complain to a store manager, they know when a customer is trying to pull one over them, not to say your 100% wrong.
     
molarszbt18
Forum Regular
Join Date: Dec 2006
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Dec 31, 2006, 12:44 PM
 
Originally Posted by theokandroid View Post
I work for the Apple Store and they know when one computer is missing. There's no way that they wouldn't know about the inventory problem like hugmup said above.
No posting is allowed for you....check your paperwork with apple
     
agalinfl  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Dec 2006
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Dec 31, 2006, 03:13 PM
 
Sealed in a box is sealed in a box... I did not receive what I paid for... Again nothing matched - purchase receipt, sales receipt, box, computer... The Apple employee explained that the machine was switched. And again there was only one new sealed in the box Black Macbook Duo Core in the store. I am VERY clear about what was done and by whom. Will the world end because of this error - NO - but I will never not check serial numbers again when I deal with Apple. I don't how we rehash this... It should not have happened.
     
Blasphemy
Dedicated MacNNer
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Circa 1225, from the Old French
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 1, 2007, 12:02 AM
 
I'd put all this together - a close-up of the box's SN, scans of receipts w/ SN's, and a short letter in business-style formatting - and then speak with the store manager. Ask for an off-the-shelf & in-the-box blackbook if that's still what you want. Say that you are dissatisfied with them switching computers on you and not telling you that, and you want to be comfortable with your purchase. If he won't play ball, then you could fax your cover letter/executive summary plus supporting documentation to apple corporate.

Just my two cents
     
DmbShn41
Junior Member
Join Date: Sep 2006
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 6, 2007, 07:27 PM
 
Originally Posted by shifuimam View Post
Good point... Apple's ridiculous return policy is one of the things that has kept me from buying a NEW Mac. My boyfriend and I both own Apple laptops, but we got them on eBay.

I know that plenty of people here obviously prefer Apple to other computer manufacturers, but I think this is one place where Apple sorely falls short. Dell has an excellent "20-day satisfaction" policy. If you buy something and regret it or just decide you don't want it, Dell will give you 20 days from the delivery date to return your computer, no questions asked. They'll even send you a return shipping label so you don't lose out on any shipping fees.

It would be nice if Apple would do this. Considering the premium prices on some of their machines, I'd feel a lot better about spending $2500 on something if I knew I could return it if I needed to, without eating $300 of the expense.
Much agreed that Dell has a lovely, respectful "20 Day Return/No Questions" policy, they don't really admit, or own up to any flaws, defects, errors in any of their products. Or should I say equipment sold by them, but manufactured by someone else? I had a Dell desktop that had the RSS issue whenever you touched the towering casing. Also had one of their infamous laptops with the battery issue. They were very forceful in letting me know that there was little probability that they would do anything with either of those items. Their customer support is lackluster at best. Never buy one again.

Very agreed that your situation is a nightmare and I would feel much the same way. Definetly take it higher thatn the manager and go to Regional/District Supervisor. The reasons for the employee to do that are endless. Maybe he previously sold that unit say, 6 weeks ago. That customer brought it back with an issue, and someone there decided it was okay to sell as new again. Then when he went to sell the unit to you, he saw it was the troubled one, and had another one that was new, but with no box. So he switched boxes, probably not realising there was a Ser. number on the box, and when you returned it, got caught and 'fessed up to it. Who knows? Any number of probabilities. But definetly take it higher up.
     
mduell
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Houston, TX
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 6, 2007, 09:46 PM
 
Originally Posted by DmbShn41 View Post
Much agreed that Dell has a lovely, respectful "20 Day Return/No Questions" policy, they don't really admit, or own up to any flaws, defects, errors in any of their products. Or should I say equipment sold by them, but manufactured by someone else?
Please name a major OEM who manufacturers their own systems.
     
molarszbt18
Forum Regular
Join Date: Dec 2006
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 7, 2007, 01:29 AM
 
Dell does create and make there own machines as much as Apple does. And I believe Dell has no sweat shops as apple does and Dell is in better talks with green peace then apple. Dont get me wrong i love apple but there not #1 in everything. Dell does create some awsome machines its not there fault the OS sucks
     
mduell
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Houston, TX
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 7, 2007, 04:10 AM
 
Originally Posted by molarszbt18 View Post
Dell does create and make there own machines as much as Apple does. And I believe Dell has no sweat shops as apple does and Dell is in better talks with green peace then apple. Dont get me wrong i love apple but there not #1 in everything. Dell does create some awsome machines its not there fault the OS sucks
I doubt it. Dell and Apple both outsource all the manufacturing to ODMs. Heck, they even use the same ODMs sometimes (Compal, Foxconn, and Quanta come to mind).
     
   
Thread Tools
 
Forum Links
Forum Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Top
Privacy Policy
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:36 PM.
All contents of these forums © 1995-2017 MacNN. All rights reserved.
Branding + Design: www.gesamtbild.com
vBulletin v.3.8.8 © 2000-2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.,