Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > WiFi for a 300Mhz PB G3, possible?

WiFi for a 300Mhz PB G3, possible?
drpeppercan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 11, 2006, 02:11 PM

Hi all!

I was just told that it is not possible to have wireless connectivity for a 300Mhz PowerBook G3 (OS9), I certainly hope this is not correct. Can anyone confirm this?

J.

euphras
Mac Elite
Mar 11, 2006, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by drpeppercan
Hi all!

I was just told that it is not possible to have wireless connectivity for a 300Mhz PowerBook G3 (OS9), I certainly hope this is not correct. Can anyone confirm this?

J.
if it´s a 333 MHz "bronze keybord" then nope, no internal Airport, but you can use an external one using the PC card slots.

Macintosh Quadra 950, Centris 610, Powermac 6100, iBook dual USB, Powerbook 667 DVI, Powerbook 867 DVI, MacBook Pro early 2011

drpeppercan  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 11, 2006, 07:10 PM

Thanks euphras

I am about to see if it can run Jaguar. Someone told me it should be fine. It should also improve my chances of finding a wifi card for OSX (apparentely it's harder to find one for OS9).

DPC

romeosc
Mac Elite
Mar 12, 2006, 09:53 AM

Thanks euphras

I am about to see if it can run Jaguar. Someone told me it should be fine. It should also improve my chances of finding a wifi card for OSX (apparentely it's harder to find one for OS9).

DPC

You can also use a USB wifi adapter....

Bandit240
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 12, 2006, 10:48 AM

You should be able to use a PCCard wifi card. Ive got a Powerbook 1400 that is on my home airport network useing a PCcard wifi card.

Tuoder
Mac Elite
Mar 12, 2006, 12:55 PM

Hi all!

J.

I have a 333Mhz Powerbook G3, and I have been sorting out my options to do the same thing. Orinoco makes a PCMCIA card that supports everything.

http://www.tessco.com/products/displ....mc_id=froogle

http://www.tessco.com/products/displ....mc_id=froogle

You could also pick up a used Airport card. They are not terribly rare. 802.11b only though. This is not a big deal if you only plan to go on the internet at reasonably close range with it, though.

There are also a few USB adapters around that would work, I would check EBay for one (same with the Airport card). you could also get some velcro and stick it to the back of the monitor.

amazing
Professional Poster
Mar 13, 2006, 09:50 PM

You can run Tiger on a G3 Lombard (eg bronze keyboard), using xpostfacto (see compatiblity info on this page

http://eshop.macsales.com/OSXCenter/XPostFacto/

That said, if you're used to OS 9 and have all the OS 9 software you need (eg Office, Photoshop, etc), the G3 PB will be very happy on OS 9 with a 3rd party wireless card. The one I used to use in OS 9 in my Ti-400 was the Cisco Aironet 350, which has OS 9 (and OS X) drivers. Excellent range compared to any internal card.

Whenever I switched my Ti-400 between OS 9 and OS X, I was always astonished at how quick and agile OS 9 was. To run Tiger on a Lombard, you'd need a large HD and it will still only take 512 MB RAM, tops. If you ran OS 9 with those parameters, you'd be in speedy, but in Tiger you'll be dragging. Even a refurbed iBook would be faster. (So don't go sticking any money into an old laptop unless you're rolling in dough...in which case, why not get a newer laptop?)

denaps
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 13, 2006, 10:47 PM

amazing
Professional Poster
Mar 14, 2006, 12:19 AM

Here's some quick addition:

$90 Cisco Aironet or Macsense Aerocard mini (ethernet wi-fi adapter)
$90 for 2 PC-100 So-dimm RAM chips (total: 512 MB)
$100 for larger HD, approx
add freight to the above: ?

Around $300. Unless you already have the RAM and the larger HD??? You can probably find a cheaper wireless PMCIA card with a Broadcom chip that will be natively supported in OS X...

Advice: sell the Lombard for $300, add the $300 you'd have to invest in it to adequately run OS X, save some more money and then get a 12" refurb iBook when the Apple Store has them in stock again. You'll automatically have one year of Applecare, it'll be lots faster and have built-in wi-fi and bluetooth.

Forum Links
Forum Rules