Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Possibly switching from NeoOffice to Numbers but have concerns

Possibly switching from NeoOffice to Numbers but have concerns
Ham Sandwich
Jun 3, 2015, 09:41 AM

So, with the purchase of a new computer, I get to test out Numbers. Currently I have been using NeoOffice.

I have two major concerns:

[1] Numbers files tend to be A LOT larger than the equivalent files in NeoOffice, or a .xls version of the NeoOffice file. For comparison, consider a two-page spreadsheet with 3 columns of calculations about 50 rows each.

Example 1:
NeoOffice file: 69 KB
Exported Excel version: 21 KB
Numbers version: 203 KB

Another example: I have a spreadsheet that is 640 rows by 232 columns, 8 of which are calculations.
NeoOffice file: 248 KB
Exported Excel version: 1.2 MB
Numbers file: 3.8 MB

The trend is that Numbers files are much larger than the other formats, and this seems to be true for most other files that I test.

Why are Numbers files so big?

[2] Also, going back to my two-page spreadsheet example, QuickLook will take 4 seconds to preview the .xls version, 0.2 seconds to preview the .ods version, and almost 30 seconds to preview the Numbers version. Here is the real kicker: When I asked Numbers to import the .xls file, it took Numbers a whole 30 seconds to fill in a bunch of basic calculations (only basic operations, like this cell times that cell divided by that cell, done), for 3 columns and 50 rows. This is on a quad-core Mac and it still took that long, and it heated my computer up a bit. And each time that I go back to highlight that file in Finder, Quicklook takes a whole new 30 seconds to reprocess all of those basic calculations.

Example 1:
Quicklook with NeoOffice file: Instantaneous (only 1 page is previewed)
Quicklook with Exported Excel version: 1 second (4 seconds the first time)
Quicklook with Numbers file: 30 seconds (each time), also 30 seconds upon first calculation with document imported

Example 2: 640 rows by 232 columns (8 of which are calculations)
Quicklook with NeoOffice file: Instantaneous (only 1 page is previewed)
Quicklook with Exported Excel version: 4 seconds and then gave me a blank page
Quicklook with Numbers file: 3 seconds, 9 seconds if I pressed spacebar, but then couldn't preview the other pages

Why is Numbers so slow?
( Last edited by Ham Sandwich; Jun 3, 2015 at 10:00 AM. )

Ham Sandwich
Jun 4, 2015, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by And.reg View Post
Why is Numbers so slow?
Same thing with Pages with previewing a .docx document with just text and a table.

Why is Pages so slow??

Forum Links
Forum Rules