Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Feedback > Intense Control on MacNN from Admins

Intense Control on MacNN from Admins (Page 3)
freudling  (op)
Banned
Aug 12, 2008, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post

And I'm crushed.

edit: Wow...talk about your multi-quote failures.
Ridiculous, trite sarcasm that this place could do without.

freudling  (op)
Banned
Aug 12, 2008, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
You realize that none of the mods have any financial incentive whatsoever to appease advertisers, right? We're volunteer members. We don't get any kind of reward for this at all (unless you consider the occasional angry Feedback thread to be a reward).

Long story short: You were disrupting a thread, probably unintentionally. A mod asked you to stop. It has nothing to do with advertisers or anything like that. Even if I cared about advertisers, I don't think advertisers particularly care about the Batman thread. But the people posting in that thread do. Ergo, we try to do what will generally make the members happy.
No I was not disrupting anything. I got lynched for disliking what most everyone else liked.

As for advertising dollars, the rules and policies are derivatives of MacNN's mandate: to keep all content narrowly constrained so advertisers won't be afraid to associate their name with the site = more/steady money.

You are just the worker bee.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Aug 12, 2008, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by freudling View Post
No I was not disrupting anything.
Just like you didn't try and disrupt things in this thread with a threat of a civil lawsuit.

lol@u.

I just can't figure out if you're being a pita for the attention, or you are just dense and not seeing the forest through the trees.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 12, 2008, 06:25 PM

No I was not disrupting anything. I got lynched for disliking what most everyone else liked.

As for advertising dollars, the rules and policies are derivatives of MacNN's mandate: to keep all content narrowly constrained so advertisers won't be afraid to associate their name with the site = more/steady money.

I don't think a single person on staff has had ANY input from ANYONE in the business end of MacNN, particularly about content in the forums. I certainly haven't, and unlike most of the staff, I've actually been in contact with the boss. We don't give a rat's skinny naked tail about advertisers; in fact, we regularly identify ads that are out of place or (usually) stupidly Windows-oriented so that the business office can get them pulled. That sure doesn't sound like being someone's running dog to me.

Our rules are what WE on staff have generated to keep discussions civil. That's it. No black helicopters, no corporate overlords, just the staff coming up with rules that work for the vast majority of members. I'm sorry that you don't seem to see "encouraging and maintaining civil discourse" as a Good Thing, but that's what the rules are for.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Aug 12, 2008, 06:26 PM

So how do you get rid of it? Asking nicely? Making rules against it?

starman
Clinically Insane
Aug 12, 2008, 06:39 PM

10 points for "not contributing to the thread?"

I'm appalled at this.

I'm reading a thread now where if this rule was upheld as it was in AR's case, half the people in the thread would get 10 pointers.

I generally stay out of threads like this, but I have to agree with the "lighten up" comments. It's getting to the point where we have to watch what we say because this is a slippery slope towards getting 10 points for posts that say "I disagree with you".

I've been here for almost a decade. Don't screw it up.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 12, 2008, 07:19 PM

But regular sarcasm is ok, right?

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 12, 2008, 07:29 PM

Is that better than being just a number ?

freudling  (op)
Banned
Aug 12, 2008, 08:16 PM

Randman:

lol@u.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Aug 12, 2008, 08:50 PM

Randman:

lol@u.
How dare you! A civil lawsuit will silence your tongue.

freudling  (op)
Banned
Aug 12, 2008, 09:02 PM

Randman:

Are you dense?

Randman
Posting Junkie
Aug 12, 2008, 09:34 PM

Randman:

Are you dense?
No. Quite the opposite, thank you. I enjoyed The Dark Knight.

Railroader
Banned
Aug 12, 2008, 10:42 PM

This thread is awesome.

Besson3c, all we have to do is ask you to stop with the things you do that annoy us and you will stop? Seriously?!?!

Please: Stop posting about fecal matter. Stop with the passive aggressive attacks. Stop with the inane "official" threads. Stop with the Steve Gutenburg stuff. Stop.

Please.

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 12, 2008, 11:20 PM

I agree, Railroader.

Also, as someone who has been here since the early days (2001) and survived a few name changes, I think the suggestion that we remove the lounge altogether is a bit hasty. But I believe that removing the political lounge would improve the atmosphere of MacNN quite a bit.

freudling  (op)
Banned
Aug 13, 2008, 02:17 AM

Railroader and Kerrigan:

Nothing better to do than pick on another poster? Why even bother posting? This is what MacNN needs way less of. Two presumably "grown" men picking on another person over the Internet...

Very constructive indeed. Go for a walk or something.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Aug 13, 2008, 05:51 AM

Railroader and Kerrigan:

Nothing better to do than pick on another poster? Why even bother posting? This is what MacNN needs way less of. Two presumably "grown" men picking on another person over the Internet...

Very constructive indeed. Go for a walk or something.
Coming form the author of comments like these

Originally Posted by freundling
Randman:
lol@u.
Originally Posted by freundling
Randman:
Are you dense?
I am utterly stunned you have the balls to complain about others not being constructive. You are replying on the exact same level as the people you claim are breaking the rules. If you get attacked, report it and have the mods take care of it according to the rules that apply to everybody. But if you instead chose to answer in the same rude and offensive way you are just as bad. And don't even think of trying the whole "but he strated it" thing.

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Aug 13, 2008, 07:40 AM

Best thread evar!

The only thing missing in this thread is this:
+1
IBL

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 13, 2008, 08:36 AM

I can't tell whether freudling needs to have the last word or just likes to keep the bickering going, even if it's at a pre-school level.

Either way, I look forward to him keeping this up, and the thread that will be created when he returns from the subsequent vacation they send him on.

reader50
Administrator
Aug 13, 2008, 11:01 AM

This thread has had a good run. We've been leaving it almost unmoderated to see how far it can go astray.

Looks to me like it has strayed an adequate amount, with sufficient feuding to cover the forum quota for at least a week. I think we can all agree on quality results when we see it, and it would be a shame to let it be sullied after achieving perfection.

Forum Links
Forum Rules