Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 17" powerbook has me stumped

17" powerbook has me stumped
jonahgirl
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 11, 2010, 06:41 PM

This 17' G4 Powerbook has me stumped. (1GHZ 1GB Ram) running Tiger.
Try to boot it chimes and starts the process then the dreaded "You need to restart your computer"
It will boot to safe boot with no problems.
Passed the Apple Hardware Test that came with it.
Reinstalled the OS - no change
Ran the Apple Service Diagnostic (open firmware) and it passed with flying colors.
Try to run the Apple Service Diagnostic (OS) and it locks up on the gray screen (about the same place the computer locks up on a regular boot.
My first inclination was the logic board but it has passed all the tests...any guesses out there?

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 11, 2010, 08:22 PM

Safe boot can disable certain hardware.
Some features don't work in Safe Mode
Safe Mode can be useful for troubleshooting. However, certain Mac OS X features do not work in Safe Mode. For example, you can't use DVD Player, capture video in iMovie, use audio input or output devices, or use an internal or external USB modem. The behavior of some devices such as an AirPort card may vary depending on computer and Mac OS X version.

Safe Mode in Mac OS X 10.5 or later also disables Quartz Extreme (hardware accelerated graphics). Applications that depend on Quartz Extreme will not open, and the Mac OS X menu bar will appear solid even if "Translucent Menu Bar" is enabled in Desktop & Screen Saver preferences.
So for instance, if your Airport Card is causing the kernel panic, safe boot may be disabling the card an allowing boot.

Anything relevant in the Panic Log?

jonahgirl  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 12, 2010, 08:10 AM

Nothing in the panic log it just does't get that far in the boot to create one. Today I will be removing the airport card as that can lead to panics. It could be a chip on the LB that gets accessed at the beginning of the boot that isn't accessed via DVD or Safe Boot. At nearly 7 years old I hate to spend much to fix it even though it is being used by a person that just does mostly email (this was my former powerbook so I know it was well taken care of).

mousehouse
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 12, 2010, 01:41 PM

I actually had exactly the same thing happen to me on my old titanium Powerbook. Problem turned out to be that my Airport card had gotten slightly unseated over time. Firmly pressing it in fixed it.

Don't know if your airport is a separate card or a chip on the board though...
MacBook Pro 13"/2.66 (09/2010), Mac Mini c2d/1.83 (01/2008)

jonahgirl  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 12, 2010, 07:00 PM

funny you should post that. This morning I took the Airport Extreme Card out and the powerbook boots just fine. Thanks though.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Apr 12, 2010, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by jonahgirl View Post
funny you should post that. This morning I took the Airport Extreme Card out and the powerbook boots just fine. Thanks though.
Thanks though ?

I sounds like this fixed your issue, or did it not ?

-t

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Apr 12, 2010, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Thanks though ?

-t
She meant thanks for the suggestion even though she had already successfully tried the suggested fix.

Forum Links
Forum Rules