Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > I couldn't help it...I got myself the 1.66 ghz mini

I couldn't help it...I got myself the 1.66 ghz mini (Page 2)
TheTraveller
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 10, 2006, 07:52 PM

Well I'm sure hoping so. I ordered one with 2 gigs, just to make sure. It's shipped from Shenzen, since then I don't know what it's been up to...but my MightyMouse and Keyboard arrived today. I started playing with the MightyMouse when I was demo'ing the Intel Mini in the Apple store - it's a pretty nice mouse.

F*ckDell
Banned
Mar 10, 2006, 08:44 PM

This is going to be a really stupid question, maybe even more stupid then the questions asked by the apple employee. But what the hell is beachballs... sorry - new to this apple thing...

Tuishimi
Forum Regular
Mar 10, 2006, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by F*ckDell
This is going to be a really stupid question, maybe even more stupid then the questions asked by the apple employee. But what the hell is beachballs... sorry - new to this apple thing...
Beachballs are like the hourglass in windows. It's this spinning colorful thing. In NEXTSTEP it was a spinning CD/Disk if I remember correctly. In Mac OS X it has morphed into something that looks like a spinning rainbow or beachball.
24 inch iMac 2.4, 320GB HD, 4 GB RAM
500 GB Ext FW Drv, 120 GB Ext FW Drv

F*ckDell
Banned
Mar 11, 2006, 12:20 AM

Ahhhhhh... gotcha!

TheTraveller
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 11, 2006, 01:52 PM

My Mini arrived in Oakland, California this morning @ 5:37 AM. It's Saturday. Anyone think it'll make it to me today? I'm about 70 miles south of there. I did order the Express shipping.

Lava Lamp Freak
Mar 11, 2006, 05:10 PM

I just upgraded my Core Duo Mini to 1GB and can confirm that it makes a big difference. I can now run Photoshop without having beach balls in everything running. But if you plan on running more than one PPC app at a time, you'll need the 2GB. With just Photoshop, iTunes, Camino, and Universal Thunderbird running, I have 90MB free memory.

F*ckDell
Banned
Mar 11, 2006, 05:39 PM

With a 2gb upgrade only $300 at Apple.com - mind as well just load up while its cheap.

Agent69
Mac Elite
Mar 11, 2006, 05:39 PM

Isn't Photoshop a memory hog of a program, even in PPC land?
Agent69

sniffer
Professional Poster
Mar 11, 2006, 05:43 PM

How would you define free memory? Note that OS X doesn't flush out all memory when you decide to quit an app, it just write over or reuse the unused memory at a later point.

Sniffer gone old-school sig

TheTraveller
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 11, 2006, 05:49 PM

Well it's 1:50 PM now and I don't think my Mac Mini is coming today. Guess I'll hafta wait til Monday. What a drag.

Lava Lamp Freak
Mar 11, 2006, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by sniffer
How would you define free memory? Note that OS X doesn't flush out all memory when you decide to quit an app, it just write over or reuse the unused memory at a later point.
I was quoting what the memory Widget I'm using reported. Right now it says Inactive: 291MB and Free: 15MB.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Mar 11, 2006, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by Lava Lamp Freak
I just upgraded my Core Duo Mini to 1GB and can confirm that it makes a big difference. I can now run Photoshop without having beach balls in everything running. But if you plan on running more than one PPC app at a time, you'll need the 2GB. With just Photoshop, iTunes, Camino, and Universal Thunderbird running, I have 90MB free memory.
Free memory is misleading on modern operating systems. Otherwise unused memory is used by the system to cache files from the hard drive, so free memory may be 0MB even with no programs running.

steve666
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 12, 2006, 12:35 AM

I'm waiting until Apple realizes its mistake and puts a real Graphics Card in there.
IG is so PC, and so bad. IMHO

Lava Lamp Freak
Mar 12, 2006, 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by steve666
I'm waiting until Apple realizes its mistake and puts a real Graphics Card in there.
IG is so PC, and so bad. IMHO
If all you rhinos actually used one of these new Minis, you would change your mind. Quit reading so much into the specs. It works wonderfully.

Tuishimi
Forum Regular
Mar 12, 2006, 01:26 AM

Originally Posted by Lava Lamp Freak
If all you rhinos actually used one of these new Minis, you would change your mind. Quit reading so much into the specs. It works wonderfully.
That's a great piece of advice. (Assuming people can get to one to try it). That's always the best way to end one's qualms, or create new ones. It's like buying a car... who buys without a test drive?
24 inch iMac 2.4, 320GB HD, 4 GB RAM
500 GB Ext FW Drv, 120 GB Ext FW Drv

Forum Links
Forum Rules