Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Mac mini Core Duo users

Mac mini Core Duo users
CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Mar 16, 2006, 07:55 PM

So I currently have a G4 tower 800 MHz with the basic nVidia GeForce2 32 MB video card. Also still only running OS X 10.3.9. (No DVD player to even install Tiger.)

My question is I'm going to go with either the Mac mini Core Duo or the 17" iMac. If I do the Mac mini it would be $794 + $165 for 2 GB RAM + $439 20" LCD = $1398.00 total with shipping. The iMac route would be $1299 + $100 for 1 GB RAM = $1399.00.

So the same price but the Mac mini would have a larger LCD (with better pixel refresh rate) and 1 GB more memory. I don't use my Mac for any gaming so what speed difference would I notice with the 2 GB Mac mini 1.66 GHz and the 1 GB iMac 1.83 GHz? Advice in general? Thanks!

applesnapple
Mar 16, 2006, 08:05 PM

I dont really know the speed difference, but if you went the mac mini route, and you're looking for a 20.1 inch dell lcd, you can save about $80. THere's a deal for the monitor at $354 on http://forums.slickdeals.net/showthr...postid=0#post0 .

What kind of tasks would you use the mac for?

mduell
Posting Junkie
Mar 16, 2006, 08:23 PM

Frequent upgrader: Mac mini + LCD
Long lifecycler: iMac

phazedowt
Mar 16, 2006, 09:55 PM

I'm confused. How does adding 1.5GB of RAM to the mini cost only $65 more than adding 512MB to the iMac?

You also need to take into account the much bigger and much faster hard drive that comes with the iMac.
15" MBP, 2.33 GHz C2D, 120GB HD, 2 GB RAM, OS X 10.4. 4GB iPod Nano.

CheesePuff  (op)
Professional Poster
Mar 16, 2006, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by phazedowt
I'm confused. How does adding 1.5GB of RAM to the mini cost only $65 more than adding 512MB to the iMac?

You also need to take into account the much bigger and much faster hard drive that comes with the iMac.
I have a friend that has 2x 1 GB sticks he'll give me for $160 + shipping.

The Mac mini hard drive is still Serial ATA, it's just 5400 RPM instead of 7200. Other then that is the cache the same?

mduell
Posting Junkie
Mar 16, 2006, 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by CheesePuff 2.0
The Mac mini hard drive is still Serial ATA, it's just 5400 RPM instead of 7200. Other then that is the cache the same?
The Mac mini drive is not only 5400RPM, it's also a 2.5" drive instead of a 3.5" drive. Significant capacity difference there, and a less significant throughput difference (only about 50% slower, but 75% smaller).

phazedowt
Mar 17, 2006, 09:29 AM

I have a friend that has 2x 1 GB sticks he'll give me for $160 + shipping.

Double the capacity (160GB for the iMac vs 80GB for the Mini).
15" MBP, 2.33 GHz C2D, 120GB HD, 2 GB RAM, OS X 10.4. 4GB iPod Nano.

Tuishimi
Forum Regular
Mar 17, 2006, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by mduell
Frequent upgrader: Mac mini + LCD
Long lifecycler: iMac
Why? He doesn't game and for the same price he gets 20" monitor. I think it is a smart move. And I have an iMac G5 20", a mini core duo and iMac G5 17". Personally I'd rather have the larger monitor.
24 inch iMac 2.4, 320GB HD, 4 GB RAM
500 GB Ext FW Drv, 120 GB Ext FW Drv

CheesePuff  (op)
Professional Poster
Mar 17, 2006, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by Tuishimi
Why? He doesn't game and for the same price he gets 20" monitor. I think it is a smart move. And I have an iMac G5 20", a mini core duo and iMac G5 17". Personally I'd rather have the larger monitor.
How easy was it for the hard drive upgrade that you did? And does it cause a problem with heat being 7200 RPM? (regarding your sig.)

Also would their be a problem with Quartz such as using Dashboard widgets with the Mac mini graphics since it would be running at 1680x1050?

Tuishimi
Forum Regular
Mar 17, 2006, 12:57 PM

How easy was it for the hard drive upgrade that you did? And does it cause a problem with heat being 7200 RPM? (regarding your sig.)

Also would their be a problem with Quartz such as using Dashboard widgets with the Mac mini graphics since it would be running at 1680x1050?
The hard drive upgrade was not that difficult. Follow the video (from one of the Mac sites somewhere, I forget where it is - sorry) and you will be done in minutes.

As far as dashboard and screen size? No probs! I use Dashboard for dictionary, weather, and a few other useful widgets.

iREZ
Professional Poster
Mar 17, 2006, 02:03 PM

you could get an imac for 1175 AR from amazon.com. with no tax and no shipping fees, adding one gb would make your total cost 1275 after rebate. this is the route i chose (i too wanted a mini but got turned off by the lousy gpu) because as each os gets updated, the gpu is used more and more. panther had expose, tiger has dashboard, who knows where apple is gonna go next, but ill bet my bottom dollar that its gonna be pretty and taxing on the gpu of whatever system you own. realize also that with the imac you get a camera, larger hard drive, faster processor, keyboard, mouse, and have the ability to have a dual monitor setup.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

CheesePuff  (op)
Professional Poster
Mar 17, 2006, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by Tuishimi
The hard drive upgrade was not that difficult. Follow the video (from one of the Mac sites somewhere, I forget where it is - sorry) and you will be done in minutes.

As far as dashboard and screen size? No probs! I use Dashboard for dictionary, weather, and a few other useful widgets.
Sorry I worded my question wrong... and also now I see you have a 20" LCD. Is it the widescreen aspect ratio or the 4:3? And what I meant is I know how when using certain Dashboard widgets and Expose it has a lot of strain from the graphics card to show the animations... are there any slow downs or gerks with the Intel graphics? Thanks!

CheesePuff  (op)
Professional Poster
Mar 17, 2006, 02:05 PM

I've never used any of the new Mac's yet, I've just been reading everything online. This evening after work I'll be stopping by CompUSA and checking out the mini's and the iMac's.

Also with whatever I get I'll be purchasing that new Logitech white cordless keyboard and mouse combo. (I never liked the Apple keyboard's.)

Tuishimi
Forum Regular
Mar 17, 2006, 02:57 PM

Sorry I worded my question wrong... and also now I see you have a 20" LCD. Is it the widescreen aspect ratio or the 4:3? And what I meant is I know how when using certain Dashboard widgets and Expose it has a lot of strain from the graphics card to show the animations... are there any slow downs or gerks with the Intel graphics? Thanks!
Wide-aspect! No burps, hiccups or otherwise.

Altair
Forum Regular
Mar 17, 2006, 04:43 PM

I would go with the mac mini simple for the 20" screen. I just got my dell 20" yesterday and it's a world of difference. I don't think 17" for a desktop screen would do anymore.

Another factor is if you would want to keep the screen a few years down the road when you get a new computer. I bought this screen now and am waiting for rev B of the mini or for the intel powermacs to be released. I just pray that the intel pms are not going to cost $2000 for the low end!
12" PB 867 *Retired :( *
2.2 Ghz 15" Macbook Pro

iREZ
Professional Poster
Mar 17, 2006, 04:46 PM

removed due to incorrect information.
( Last edited by iREZ; Mar 17, 2006 at 09:10 PM. )

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Mar 17, 2006, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by iREZ
dont get any logitech keyboards yet..they havent made drivers for the intel macs yet. i have an mx duo combo and the option and cmd key are switched with no foreseeable fix in the near future.
"Logitech brand Whiteout"
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

dkwong
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 17, 2006, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by iREZ
dont get any logitech keyboards yet..they havent made drivers for the intel macs yet. i have an mx duo combo and the option and cmd key are switched with no foreseeable fix in the near future.
You can switch these in the Keyboard preferenes pane.

iREZ
Professional Poster
Mar 17, 2006, 09:09 PM

holy crap! i never inspected that one option. ok, i take my previous comment back...logitech keyboards seem to work fine. now if i could get the rest of the keys to work. thanks dkwong.

Forum Links
Forum Rules