Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Bye Bye Apple

Bye Bye Apple (Page 3)
F*ckDell
Banned
Mar 12, 2006, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter
Your little bird is smoking crack. HP cannot afford Dell, and it would be counter to their business philosophy to acquire yet another computer company. Besides, they did such a lousy job of acquiring Compaq that they fired their CEO-Carly Fiorina had some really good things going for HP, but the shareholders thought first they should buy a truly crappy company (you probably have no idea how crappy Compaq computers were) and then blaming Carly for the public not beating a path to their door. These stockholders appear to also be smoking crack from their behavior...

Anyway, don't subscribe to the Wall Street Journal just to read all about this supposed issue. It's not going to happen.

Yeahhhh... I didn't believe it myself, just thought I'd see what you guys thought. I didn't think HP had the funds or ability to make a move like that.

Crack no... weed - possible

steve666
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 12, 2006, 09:11 PM

The Govmnt would never allow HP to buy Dell anyway. Monopoly and all that.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Mar 14, 2006, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by F*ckDell
Has anyone heard or read about HP buying out Dell? A little bird told me they heard that on TV, but I havn't seen or heard anything of that. Any ideas peeeeople?
No. The current OEM buzz is that Dell may buy Alienware to improve their XPS line (hardware and credibility).

Todd Madson
Mac Elite
Mar 14, 2006, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by Goofas
After 2 years of being an Apple user and singing the praises of OSX I'm gone. I have owned 2 apple computers in 2 years and both have had countless hardware issues. The latest I have battled is the classic exploding caps in my rev A G5. I decided to buy a new Apple this weekend then thought some more. If I am going to buy an Intel machine...why not just go back to a PC. I bought a Dell XPS 2.8 dual core, 160gb hdd, 1gb ram, dvd burner, media center remote, 128 video, 5 usb's wireless key/mouse, Office 2003, 17'' Ultra sharp monitor, and 2.1 speakers shipped for $1000. Can't beat that with a stick Apple. The best part is if a component "dies" I can fix it myself! I will only miss iphoto.
Problem: Bad Capacitors plagued EVERY computer company out there.
Do you realize how many Dells in my company died because of this issue?

It wasn't an Apple problem.

It was an electronic component company in Japan performing industrial
espionage on a stolen design problem.

"The reason the capacitor problem exists in the first place is because of a large-scale industrial espionage foul-up. Some component manufacturers decided to steal an electrolyte formula from another competitor. Little be known to them, the stolen formula was incomplete and flawed. They didn't discover this until it was too late and they had manufactured and distributed literally MILLIONS of these flawed capacitors"

http://www.badcaps.net/

F*ckDell
Banned
Mar 17, 2006, 11:18 AM

Is there XPS line truely Dells selling point? I understand they are trying to match Apples PowerMac line, but I think Dell would do better with AMD processors. Which is probably why they are making such a move for Alienware...

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 17, 2006, 11:51 AM

Dell's quality still sucks. I have a 3 month old Dell Latitude. The letters on the keys are all wearing off. The color on the mouse click buttons is wearing off and the mouse touch pad is all glazed over. (All cosmetic issues grant you.)

This was a $2600 laptop. (My companies invoice price for it.)

My $2400 Powerbook is now a year old and still looks brand new. Go figure.

I thought the latitude's were the high-quality line. It wore out just as fast as my previous Inspiron.
- MacBook Air M2 16GB / 512GB
- MacBook Pro 16" i9 2.4Ghz 32GB / 1TB
- MacBook Pro 15" i7 2.9Ghz 16GB / 512GB
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB
- G4 Cube 500Mhz / Shelf display unit / Museum display

F*ckDell
Banned
Mar 17, 2006, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by driven
Dell's quality still sucks. I have a 3 month old Dell Latitude. The letters on the keys are all wearing off. The color on the mouse click buttons is wearing off and the mouse touch pad is all glazed over. (All cosmetic issues grant you.)

This was a $2600 laptop. (My companies invoice price for it.)

My $2400 Powerbook is now a year old and still looks brand new. Go figure.

I thought the latitude's were the high-quality line. It wore out just as fast as my previous Inspiron.
I've had a Inspiron 9100 since summer '04 and have had nothing but problems with it. I can relate to you on quality of Dell, it sucks!! I feel bad that I had my father buy all new Dells for his home office... a year later I'm telling him to buy Apples now!
Rookie Mistake!

Tuishimi
Forum Regular
Mar 17, 2006, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by F*ckDell
I've had a Inspiron 9100 since summer '04 and have had nothing but problems with it. I can relate to you on quality of Dell, it sucks!! I feel bad that I had my father buy all new Dells for his home office... a year later I'm telling him to buy Apples now!
Rookie Mistake!
Don't knock yourself. In previous years, like the late 90's, Dell built better machines and garnered a reputation. We used them exclusively (and I was the hardware manager at our small company) and never ever had a problem with them. 3 years ago I bought my first Dell that I had a problem with... Still, I bought my monitor from them.
24 inch iMac 2.4, 320GB HD, 4 GB RAM
500 GB Ext FW Drv, 120 GB Ext FW Drv

foo2
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 17, 2006, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by packetattack
Witness the last go around of exploits using how images are rendered. It impacted virtually all recent versions of windows due in part to reuse of code. Which in of itself is not a bad idea if the code works right but when the code is bad, it can be devestating.
Yes. And Apple has exactly the same problem. The difference is that MS supports their older OSs for far longer than Apple does, so while Microsoft patches Windows 2000 (circa 1999 release date), Apple does not patch 10.0, 10.1, and 10.2 (circa 2000, 2001, 2002 release dates.) That's frightening.

Microsoft's own site has not be "unhacked" as you claim, they were hit by slammer just as many of us were. In fact, I remember a bit of a debacle when it was discovered a few years back that MS was using Linux on some of their websites instead of IIS including one site bashing Linux. Now there was an irony. More than a few folks had a hoot over that one.
Their ISP path has had DOS attacks, sure, but has MS's site gone down? I certainly don't remember a time. And if it were as insecure as some here suggest, you'd think it would never even stay *up*, yet obviously, it has. Hence, it is stable.

If were just a case of "patching" as you described, then MS would have no problem in getting their federal certifications for selling the govt. secure OS systems for such things as Navy aircraft carriers and crypto systems. But, it is not just patching, you must disable services, patch and specially configure subsystems like IIS to be hardened. They are certified but the configuration used is very difficult to use in the real world with real world applications. It's too locked down.
Do you mean (oh..what is it...it's been too long) blue and yellow book? Do you realize what those require? That isn't "real world" use - that's highly specific use. Anytime you do that, sure, you're going to disable whatever you don't need and tune and program things quite differently. Obviously a home user doesn't need what you'd put on the aircraft carrier, and an aircraft carrier user doesn't need XP Home Edition.

If you read my first response carefully, I never claimed that Windows OR OSX was the endall OS, patched or otherwise. They each have their place and each can be the "right" system. But, OSX does have some advantages over Windows that can not be casually overlooked and it has some disadvantages that also can not be overlooked.
Ok...such as?

I did point out that changing your OS based on a percieved lack of QA or not was silly or as I said, a copout. Neither system is perfect and you must look at the entire package and decide if it fits your needs, the business needs if any, if you can support it and overall costing. Pray that Apple never takes up the same "Software assurance" model that MS uses.
Aside from the annoyance of only getting a given version of Vista if you're in SA, what's the big deal with it? Until recently, there wasn't much reason to even _join_ it, so what's the issue?
iMac 3.3/i5 (2015) 24GB 2TB 10.13.1
MBP 15/2.5 (2014) 16GB 500GB 10.13.1
MBP 15/2.3 (2012) 16GB 250GB 10.13.1
MB 13/2.4 (2010) 9GB 120GB 10.13.1
MB 13/2.0 (E-2009) 4GB 120GB 10.13

chrisutley
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 17, 2006, 10:23 PM

You are all a bunch of suckers, the Troll with 34 posts has got himself 6-pages of reaction.
MacBook and iMac Core 2 Duo 24"

barang
Forum Regular
Mar 19, 2006, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by chrisutley
You are all a bunch of suckers, the Troll with 34 posts has got himself 6-pages of reaction.
Seriously. Let's be a little more mature and not "answer a fool according to his folly."

That's in Proverbs, BTW.
"But the beauty of Grace is that it makes life not fair."

My Flickr

baw
Mac Elite
Mar 19, 2006, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by chrisutley
Exactly.

Forum Links
Forum Rules