Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Macbook issues...

Macbook issues...
Tuishimi
Forum Regular
Aug 21, 2006, 06:46 PM

...So... my wife's macbook has been having problems.

When you close the lid (with or without putting it to sleep before closing the lid) at times, usually if you let it sit longer than an hour, at least, it gets very hot and then won't start up when you open the lid. You end up having to power it down completely and powering it back on.

So, as you can imagine, I've been in contact with Apple. The first CCR had no idea... no clue as to what he was talking about but I followed his instructions ("put your book to sleep BEFORE closing the lid") and did that for a day. Didn't have any effect. Called back and got a better CCR who said "I have no idea why the other guy said that". Now she has me performing different tests to determine if it an OS X issue or a hardware issue. *sigh*

What I am doing next is reinstalling OS X. I know I should do a 100% clean install, but it is a pain (in my opinion) to save off all of my wife's many gigs of data and then pull it back over after the fact. I did the copy from her old mac to this one and it took hours.

So... do you think reinstalling in place (not a clean install) would be worth it, or should I just accept the pain and suffering of the clean install (only to find later that it is a hardware issue)?
24 inch iMac 2.4, 320GB HD, 4 GB RAM
500 GB Ext FW Drv, 120 GB Ext FW Drv

aaardal
Forum Regular
Aug 21, 2006, 09:51 PM

Fully updated, software and firmware?

Tuishimi  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 21, 2006, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by aaardal
Fully updated, software and firmware?
...Software-wise it was. Now it is back to 10.4.6. As far as firmware goes, I am not sure. It's brand spanking new (only a couple weeks old now). The "expert" didn't mention any firmware updates nor did they query about one.

Is there one available? I guess I can go peak on Apple.com.
24 inch iMac 2.4, 320GB HD, 4 GB RAM
500 GB Ext FW Drv, 120 GB Ext FW Drv

aaardal
Forum Regular
Aug 22, 2006, 01:43 AM

I'm pretty sure there is a firmware update. I would check firmware and go from there.

jhchan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 28, 2006, 10:28 PM

Hello,

Just wondering if you ever got any resolution to your issues? I am using my new macbook as mainly my desktop replacement so it is always closed with external keyboard, mouse and monitor. When I put it to sleep at night it sometimes will not wake up just as you described. It is still HOT and requires I hold the power button down to shut it off. If I open the lid the screen does not come on either. I have all current updates software wise. Anyone have a clue? Thanks.
- JC -
Black Book

rnb2
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 29, 2006, 01:18 AM

JC - any external drives? Something is keeping it from sleeping properly - mine does this occasionally. You need to check the light on the front-right corner of the MacBook - if it isn't pulsing, it isn't sleeping, and you will need to go through the process you describe to get it running again.

Rick

Will C
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 29, 2006, 05:35 AM

Is your keyboard properly seated? Maybe the screen is pressing one of the keys when closed not allowing it to sleep? - you may want to repost in the Macbook forum BTW.

jhchan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 29, 2006, 10:43 AM

Ooops sorry I just did a search and saw the orig poster mentioned mac book so thought I'd ask here. Anyway only things that are hooked up externally are keyboard, mouse, card reader, printer and monitor. No external drives and I unmounted all network drives. Uninstalled any background software etc. Still no luck. Actually last night while I was trying to figure this out it did sleep ONCE! Then I woke it then it would not work again.
- JC -
Black Book

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 29, 2006, 07:35 PM

Moving to the proper forum... Please keep an eye on where you post next time.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

jhchan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 29, 2006, 10:40 PM

OK Guys I think I figured out my problem and got my Macbook to sleep properly. As mentioned I am using it as a desktop replacement so I always have peripherals etc attached. Turns out it was an external USB card reader!!! Jeez WTF? Who would have thought something like that would keep the system from sleeping. If you guys have one of these hooked up disconnect it and give it a try. Also try removing external peripherals one by one until it sleeps. Good luck!
- JC -
Black Book

Forum Links
Forum Rules