Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Yet another MBP Whine whine

Yet another MBP Whine whine
rjayf98
Jun 4, 2006, 02:24 PM

Got my 15 "MBP 2.0GHz 2 days ago, is a week 17 build, free upgrade from the 1.83 I had actually ordered . Everything is great except that it has that blasted whine...I dunno why its called a whine, it sounds more like a dot matrix printer to me, but anyway...

Plugging in the charger increases the whine frequency/pitch to the point that I don't really notice it, but on battery power its hard to ignore...I tried the mirror widget trick and it worked, but then the trick stopped working after installing the updates from apple's website.

Then I tried a tip I read somewhere - running the mirror widget, shutting it down, putting the laptop to sleep, and on waking it up, no whine!...it worked, the whine was gone! But using photobooth brought up the whine again..as did using a USB flashdrive...

Any idea if the whine is a hardware or software issue? If its something that can be fixed by a software fix, I'll probably stick with the laptop, but if its a hardware fault, I might try to get a replacement...

Oh, and apparently using a bluetooth mouse eliminates the whine too...I don't have one, so can't test that out, but will get one soon...not just to kill the whine, but so that i don't have wires/dongles sticking out of my laptop - any jerk or knock anywhere could damage the ports!

Dave Hagan
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 4, 2006, 07:18 PM

Sorry to hear. Just when I was thinking of getting one... UGH!

I wonder why you just got a week 17. I thought we were into like week 22 by now?
Dave Hagan | Apple Certified Technical Coordinator | iMac G5 1.9GHz | PowerBook G4 1.5GHz | Power Mac G4 933 MHz

drewcifer
Forum Regular
Jun 4, 2006, 10:23 PM

i knowwww... mine has it also.
ugh.
i just exchanged my bluetooth mouse for a mighty mouse and i didnt notice it until now.
maybe the bluetooth mouse does help. hmf.
Macbook Pro 15" (fully spec'd out)

...waiting for 6g ipods.

rjayf98  (op)
Jun 5, 2006, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by Dave Hagan
Sorry to hear. Just when I was thinking of getting one... UGH!

I wonder why you just got a week 17. I thought we were into like week 22 by now?
I'm in Malta - Europe, ordered the laptop a month and a half ago, it too a while to get here ...maybe thats why i got a week 17 (but apparently it was shipped a week before i got it)...

If we're at week 22 now, that would mean mine is over a month old...but then how come its a 2.0 GHz with the 128 MB gfx card then? I thought they dropped the 1.83 GHz just last week...

Anyway, does the latest build have the whine too? Circa week 20-22...any idea? Heard anyone whining about it?

onlykaria
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 5, 2006, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by zany-ninja
I'm in Malta - Europe, ordered the laptop a month and a half ago, it too a while to get here ...maybe thats why i got a week 17 (but apparently it was shipped a week before i got it)...

If we're at week 22 now, that would mean mine is over a month old...but then how come its a 2.0 GHz with the 128 MB gfx card then? I thought they dropped the 1.83 GHz just last week...

Anyway, does the latest build have the whine too? Circa week 20-22...any idea? Heard anyone whining about it?
i got mine last week and it is a week 21.

but when i got my first one, it was a weeks behind the latest builds. i think it has more to do with the demand for your particular model and were you got it from. i got this one from a store that had opened days before. but the very first i got was from online. but i dont think its anything to be scared or worried about. you are getting a new machine its just about how long it sat in warehouses after the last bolt was tightened.

i think the 15in still have the whine. i have a 17in now and it doesnt whine, but as for as i know that was never really a problem with the 17in.
Computers:
Macbook Pro: 17in, 2.16Ghz, 120GB HD, 1.5 GB ram.
iBook G4: 1.07Ghz, 60GB HD, 756mb ram (on sale for parts)

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Jun 5, 2006, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by zany-ninja
ht up the whine again..as did using a USB flashdrive...

Any idea if the whine is a hardware or software issue? If its something that can be fixed by a software fix, I'll probably stick with the laptop, but if its a hardware fault, I might try to get a replacement...
I can't see how it can't be an issue that can be fixed by software. Looking at the facts:

1) the whine stops with bluetooth mouse
2) the whine stops when using photobooth / isight
3) the whine stops when using windows XP under boot camp

the 3rd one especially tells me that something can easily be done to kill the whine in future updates - even if Apple writes a script/whatever to occupy the 2nd CPU core with 1-2% of activity whilst its idle - people won't notice it using the 1-2%, and if the whine stops, then great
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

dialo
Senior User
Jun 5, 2006, 04:54 PM

Just because the behavior of the whine changes in different hardware/software situations doesn't mean that there will be a software solution with less of an adverse affect on battery life than the existing ones.

rjayf98  (op)
Jun 5, 2006, 07:33 PM

Well I'm hoping there is a software fix for the whine...

I took note of the number of processes and threads running before and after the mirror widget + sleep trick, and there was no change...and also the CPU wasn't under any unusual load at either time either - the whine disappears without the CPU being under any amount of load...I wonder what the mirror widget trick does? And how come photobooth doesnt work that way? it uses the built in cam too...

I don't get it...

Hmm...well, here's one cool (but slightly pointless) feature of the MBP I noticed - in sleep mode, the brightness of the flashing standby light changes according to the ambient light...(you have to leave the lid open for it to work)...

The light sensors stay on in sleep mode?! Weird, that...

hoo311
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 5, 2006, 08:05 PM

Having recently purchased a 15" MBP 1.83, I have read about this whine noise. I am assuming my bok does not have the issue since I do not notice anything. Is this whine something that will appear after a while?

drewcifer
Forum Regular
Jun 6, 2006, 12:01 AM

some people just dont notice the whine, some people have more sensitive hearing than others.

yes, yes, we can hope and pray for a software fix.

hopefully theyre working on it now.
Macbook Pro 15" (fully spec'd out)

...waiting for 6g ipods.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jun 6, 2006, 01:05 AM

Originally Posted by dialo
Just because the behavior of the whine changes in different hardware/software situations doesn't mean that there will be a software solution with less of an adverse affect on battery life than the existing ones.
I just wanted to quote this because it's pretty much the best line I've seen in the entire MBP whine discussion.

rjayf98  (op)
Jun 6, 2006, 11:29 AM

I'd gladly sacrifice a couple of minutes of battery life for a whine-free MBP...up to 15, 20 max...

Photios
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 6, 2006, 12:57 PM

I've got a week 22 MacBook Pro 17". I've got the whine too. I had a bad week 21 MBP 17" (case was warped and would not sit flat) and it also had the whine.

For me, it is barely noticable, and only when in a very quiet environment. Even then, it is not constant, and sometimes for an entire session, I never hear it at all. It does not happen at all when running on battery. Interesting!

rjayf98  (op)
Jun 6, 2006, 04:22 PM

Well other than the whine, mine is perfect...Yeah it runs hot, especially the power supply, and once it woke up from sleep mode by itself, but other than that, nothing worrying...I reckon I'll keep it...

i hope the whine will be fixed by a future software update though...

uzombie
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 6, 2006, 07:06 PM

The whine has been around since day 1 of the MBP - I fear Apple might just release the next rev. and move on rather than fix it.

n8236
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 6, 2006, 07:22 PM

My whine is gone when using QuietMbp @ 120 throttle which uses around 7% cpu. But i still wish I could get rid of it w/o using 3rd party-ware.

JohnLondon001
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 6, 2006, 07:40 PM

hoo311
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 6, 2006, 08:48 PM

Well after listening to the recording I can definitely say there is no whine, some hard drive noise, but that is only heard when there is no background noise like early in the morning. For this I am happy... Now I just need to figure out what to do with the tilted keys and the lid that is not completelt flush...

rjayf98  (op)
Jun 8, 2006, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by baker
I guess the whine is kinda like that...but obviously the volume you hear it at in the link above depends on the volume of your speakers, so you can't really tell how loud it is...

I wonder why they pictured the arrow keys while playing back the noise - the whine comes from the left side near the power input...

Forum Links
Forum Rules