Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > About to go for the dive ... should I wait?

About to go for the dive ... should I wait?
cold aspiration
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 19, 2006, 04:32 PM

Hey guys,

So summer is here and I have all of those warm months to decide when to get a shiny new macbook pro for a new college year. I know the MBP s came out not too long ago but I was wondering if I should be expecting a major change before september ?? Because I really need to move on from my ibook's small HD, especially since I am getting into videos and such. I know there is WWDC in Mid august, do you guys think I should wait or go and order now?

Thanks in advance

Thraxes
Jun 19, 2006, 04:47 PM

If you can wait till the WWDC then I would seriously consider that.

Usually i wouldn't recommend wating but WWDC is a real red letter date and since it is relatively close you might as well wait if you can - remember though that it may take a while for new stuff announced at the WWDC to actually ship... if you are cutting it tight then you might not have your new MBP in time before you head off to college. Of course there are also those of us who need the new machine ASAP (impatiently twiddles fingers) . All depends...
15" MBP - 2.16 - 2GB - 120GB + 500GB External
Backup: Athlon XP2200+ - 1GB - 600GB
MythTV DVR: Intel PIII-500 MHz - 384MB - 60GB

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jun 19, 2006, 09:06 PM

Is a new CPU a major change to you?

Intel will release Core 2 Duo (Merom) in August; small clockrate increases at launch (if any at all), but 20-30% performance improvement.
I can't imagine Apple will take more than a few days to announce Core 2 Duo in MacBook Pros, since every other OEM will have them too.

NeoEsper
Jun 20, 2006, 12:17 PM

I think they are going to redesign the MBP, such as having the latch free screen and the user replaceable hard drive and maybe other cool features.

RevEvs
Mac Elite
Jun 20, 2006, 12:48 PM

It is not the CPU speed you should hold on for, its the possible redesign or rev B and the hope that it cools the hot hot hot MBP down and sorts outher problems - e.g the whine
I free'd my mind... now it won't come back.

Dave Hagan
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 20, 2006, 03:47 PM

I wish people would get the fact that the whine isn't from the processor but is emminating from the DC coverter. If the whine was the processor you would hear owners of the Mac Mini Core/Core Duo and iMac Core Duo complaining too.

As far as waiting - buy it when you need it.
Dave Hagan | Apple Certified Technical Coordinator | iMac G5 1.9GHz | PowerBook G4 1.5GHz | Power Mac G4 933 MHz

slffl
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 21, 2006, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by cold aspiration
Hey guys,

So summer is here and I have all of those warm months to decide when to get a shiny new macbook pro for a new college year. I know the MBP s came out not too long ago but I was wondering if I should be expecting a major change before september ?? Because I really need to move on from my ibook's small HD, especially since I am getting into videos and such. I know there is WWDC in Mid august, do you guys think I should wait or go and order now?

Thanks in advance
I would wait until Jan so you can get Leopard with it.
"I'm the commander - see, I don't need to explain - I don't need to explain why I say things. That's the interesting thing about being the President. Maybe somebody needs to explain to me why they say something, but I don't feel like I owe anybody an explanation."

- Dictator George W. Bush, Washington Post, 11-19-02

Forum Links
Forum Rules