Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > New mac minis on ebay?

New mac minis on ebay?
acX
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 26, 2008, 11:37 PM

I have been looking for a refurbished or used mac mini to use as a home server. I noticed that there are a lot of brand new sealed Core 2 duo mac minis on ebay right now. They are going for less than the refurbished ones at apple.

Is apple dumping mac mini inventory in preparation for a new model?

If not, does anyone know where they come from and why they are less than Apple's retail price?

Thanks,
ac

gooser
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 27, 2008, 01:01 AM

could be stolen.
imac g3 600
imac g4 800 superdrive
ibook 466

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 27, 2008, 11:57 AM

If Apple chooses to "dump inventory" they don't do it through channels that wind up on eBay. They'd have some sort of "buy this low-priced Mini and get a regular-priced iPod" or something like that. I'd give this particular offer a very wide berth...

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Veltliner
Mac Elite
Jan 27, 2008, 05:20 PM

Don't trust Ebay.

I almost got myself burned there once, but found out through the right questions. Which still caused me a lot of anger and trouble.

eBay is a scam operation on legal grounds, responsibility is so well diluted, that no one ever can be made responsible for the multitude of scams going on there.

The one who'll be holding the bill is you, the buyer.

You'll be dealing with people behind the screen names you'd never be dealing with if you knew who they were.

Don't do this to yourself.

acX  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 27, 2008, 11:47 PM

Thanks for the input everyone.. I will be wary of what I find on ebay.
I wonder if they are somehow grey market imports?
There are at least 4 or 5 sellers and there must be 100-200 new Mac minis between them all.

I have noticed something similar at some of the PC computer "shows" here on the east coast. There are a lot of brand new Dell PCs, laptops, and monitors, all at lower than Dell's prices.
I asked one vendor where he got them and he just laughed..

thanks,
ac

swiz
GUI Punk
Jan 28, 2008, 12:39 AM

I just got a great deal on a spankin new iMac from eBay.
So long as you pay with Paypal the risk is pretty well covered. But obviously you need to do your homework on the user your considering doing business with first.

24" AlumiMac 2.4ghz C2D, 4g Ram, 300g HD, 750g USBHD • 80g iPod • 160g ATV • iPhone 3g

ickystay
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 28, 2008, 12:57 AM

Other than slow shipping, the seller has sold a pile of them with good feedback.

Veltliner
Mac Elite
Jan 28, 2008, 03:36 AM

Originally Posted by swiz View Post
I just got a great deal on a spankin new iMac from eBay.
So long as you pay with Paypal the risk is pretty well covered. But obviously you need to do your homework on the user your considering doing business with first.
You are better covered by your credit card.

When I got that criminal as a trade partner on eBay, I thought about using either PayPal, or my credit card.

Then I read on the web, that PayPal sometimes does not refund, if the PayPal account of the other party has no balance.

So I used my credit card. I had the payment suspended instantly, and the money back factually within 10 days.
( Last edited by Veltliner; Jan 28, 2008 at 03:48 AM. )

Veltliner
Mac Elite
Jan 28, 2008, 03:40 AM

Originally Posted by acX View Post
Thanks for the input everyone.. I will be wary of what I find on ebay.
I wonder if they are somehow grey market imports?
There are at least 4 or 5 sellers and there must be 100-200 new Mac minis between them all.

I have noticed something similar at some of the PC computer "shows" here on the east coast. There are a lot of brand new Dell PCs, laptops, and monitors, all at lower than Dell's prices.
I asked one vendor where he got them and he just laughed..

thanks,
ac
Gray market goods are not covered by US warranty.

The price difference to regular US goods is small, but if your unit has a problem, you're alone out in the rain.

I'd rather buy refurbished computers from the apple store. There you have warranty and the peace of mind, that your computer hasn't been one of a shipment that got wet. Or dropped. Or some nerd messing about with it. Or it's a much older mini in a newer box. The possibilities for cheating are endless...

The best way to buy goods is to find out its fair price, then pay the fair price.

After all, the main method of crooks to attract victims is to pretend to have a super sweet deal, and to not mention the downsides.

D2G
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 28, 2008, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by Veltliner View Post
You are better covered by your credit card.

When I got that criminal as a trade partner on eBay, I thought about using either PayPal, or my credit card.

Then I read on the web, that PayPal sometimes does not refund, if the PayPal account of the other party has no balance.

So I used my credit card. I had the payment suspended instantly, and the money back factually within 10 days.
I am going to add a couple comments to this post. Firstly, PayPal CAN be funded by your credit card, just like you would fund it with a bank account or some other means. Many sellers offer to take credit card payment directly in order to avoid paying PayPal's service charge. PayPal's fraud department can be slow and there is a lot of fine print and loopholes that allow sellers to take advantage of the buyer. If you pay by PayPal via your credit card, you still have charge back protection from your credit card issuer plus whatever protection PayPal allegedly offers. Best route to take: PayPal funded by credit card only.
15" Powerbook G4 | 1.67 GHz | 2GB RAM | 10.5.1
15" iMac G4 | 700 MHz | 1GB RAM | 10.4.11
40GB iPod classic (3rd gen.), 40GB iPod classic (4th gen.), 4GB iPod nano (1st gen.)

acX  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 28, 2008, 02:31 PM

After doing some searching, it seems pretty obvious that these are grey market computers. The minis are even easier to sell, because they do not have a keyboard.
I guess we will have to wait and see how Apple would treat the warranties on these systems. One person mentioned that apple is one of the few companies that will honor the grey market items, but I would not count on it.

I think I will play it safe for now. I will end up buying a refurb or wait to see if Apple refreshes the mini before I buy.
Come on Apple, you put a 3.5" disk in the Time Capsule!

stukdog
Jan 30, 2008, 03:51 PM

I've purchased a few minis from ebay for our data center and things have always gone as planned. Just write the seller an email with any questions and gauge the response.

I've also purchased some minis from Mac-Pro.com . They usually have the previous version available for $100 off or so.
Macminicolo.net - Your mini. Our data center. The perfect low-cost server.

iDaver
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 2, 2008, 02:28 AM

These are minis that come with Tiger installed, not Leopard. Why they're out there, I don't know, but I suspect the seller got them from Apple when Apple didn't want to load the new OS and re-box several thousand leftover minis.

Most of them are selling for about $500, so it's not such a great deal.

UncleDannie
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 5, 2008, 10:22 PM

Well, you know that Apple is dropping the Mini? At least, that is the word from a couple of re-sellers. Aplle, just like dell, offers better prices on bulk. It's all about the overhead. A guy working out of his garage and selling a lot of units, can make money even if he charges a lot less than Apple stores. No salespeople, no storefront, no insurance, no vehicles, no electricity. Some of them even offer exchange policies if the one you got is defective. It is true that you get what you pay for, but eBay isn't so bad, if you go in with your eyes wide open.
Uncle Dannie of Texas
eMac 1.25Ghz Memory: 2GB; Optical Drive: Pioneer DVD-R/W OS: 10.4
MacBook 1.87Ghz Memory: 2GB, HD: 80 GB, OS: 10.6

Forum Links
Forum Rules