Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Let's say something good about some companies!

Let's say something good about some companies! (Page 2)
besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 12, 2015, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by Cap'n Tightpants View Post
Good, we got that out of the way. As an egalitarian I fully support equal rights for everyone, but like modern feminists, the lion's share of people within the LGBTQ community don't want equality, they want superiority, and will push an issue far past its breaking point, mashing their opponents' noses in it.

It probably is about being on the bottom of the heap for so long that they're overcompensating, now that they're one of the "causes du jour" and media darlings, but the winds of acceptance change because humans are fickle creatures, and if the situation with straight white men is any example (it is), it can happen before there's time to react. So the moral is, when you're on top, don't be d-bags, show that you're better than that while you have the chance, otherwise the cycle will continue, and the next time you're on the bottom it'll be much worse for you.

Why does somebody as seemingly intelligent as you have such problems comprehending sample size issues?

Your world is not the entire world. There is no homogenous LGBTQ community just as there isn't a homogenous African American community, or a homogenous-any-large-population community. You seem to want us to think that you are rich, powerful and well-connected. Great. You still cannot generalize the entire LGBTQ population even if you know enough of them in your state to come to a generalization, because unless you make proper qualifications, you certainly can't account for the LGBTQ population in another country or even a distant part of the US.

You've made this mistake before in thinking that your world is a representative sample of the entire planet. It makes you look dumb and/or egotistical.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jun 12, 2015, 01:41 PM

Meh.

I'm pretty ****ing pro gay, but I notice the bullshit he's talking about, and if it isn't homogeneous, it sure is ****ing loud.

And as far as Americanocentrism is concerned, wake me up when Chick-Fil-A arrives someplace else.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 12, 2015, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
Why does somebody as seemingly intelligent as you have such problems comprehending sample size issues?

Your world is not the entire world. There is no homogenous LGBTQ community just as there isn't a homogenous African American community, or a homogenous-any-large-population community. You seem to want us to think that you are rich, powerful and well-connected. Great. You still cannot generalize the entire LGBTQ population even if you know enough of them in your state to come to a generalization, because unless you make proper qualifications, you certainly can't account for the LGBTQ population in another country or even a distant part of the US.

You've made this mistake before in thinking that your world is a representative sample of the entire planet. It makes you look dumb and/or egotistical.
You've made the mistake of claiming I'm only talking about "my world" when I most certainly am not.
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Jun 12, 2015, 02:14 PM

To some extent, most tightly associated groups do have similar traits, so generalizations do fit.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 12, 2015, 02:28 PM

You've made the mistake of claiming I'm only talking about "my world" when I most certainly am not.
Then who exactly are you talking about? Who or what do you think is a representative sample?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jun 12, 2015, 02:29 PM

subego
Clinically Insane
Jun 12, 2015, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
30-40 items a month? What sort of stuff?
Here's what was in my latest bundle, as Dakar surmised, it's mostly work stuff...

This took six packages, though I got multiples of the 30-pin adapters, the plug to power supply adapters, the music lights, and the glucosamine for cats. Poor thing has the arthritis.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jun 12, 2015, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Going through the drive through once, the window attendant told me that the lady sitting next to me was very lucky and that I look like Prince William. Even though he's the balding, less-attractive prince, I'll take what I can get.
If she said your passenger was lucky, then she was likely thinking of this William.

You should get on eBay and search for a jacket like this, then wear it next time you go to CFA:

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 12, 2015, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by BadKosh View Post
To some extent, most tightly associated groups do have similar traits, so generalizations do fit.
Stereotypes come from shared traits within a group, acting upon stereotypes and using them as leverage to infringe upon the freedoms of others is wrong, but the stereotypes in and of themselves aren't. They're simply observations.

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
Then who exactly are you talking about? Who or what do you think is a representative sample?
See above.

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Go right ahead.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jun 12, 2015, 03:46 PM

30-40 items a month? What sort of stuff?
I feel like I order a lot from Amazon, but my history shows 64 orders in the last 6 months. Nowhere near 30-40/month. That's...impressive.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jun 12, 2015, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
If she said your passenger was lucky, then she was likely thinking of this William.

You should get on eBay and search for a jacket like this, then wear it next time you go to CFA:

It's weird, because people have told my wife she looks like Kate, though the only real similarity I see is that she's a blue-eyed brunette.

edit:

subego
Clinically Insane
Jun 12, 2015, 03:51 PM

I feel like I order a lot from Amazon, but my history shows 64 orders in the last 6 months. Nowhere near 30-40/month. That's...impressive.
I'm an Amazon whore.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jun 12, 2015, 03:59 PM

Go right ahead.
That wasn't aimed at you, sport.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jun 12, 2015, 05:27 PM

It's weird, because people have told my wife she looks like Kate, though the only real similarity I see is that she's a blue-eyed brunette
Noooooo kidding? Then you're the lucky one. Kate is...well...you know...

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 12, 2015, 10:34 PM

That wasn't aimed at you, sport.
Does it matter?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jun 15, 2015, 12:31 PM

Does it matter?
Apparently it did.

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Jun 15, 2015, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
Here's what was in my latest bundle, as Dakar surmised, it's mostly work stuff...

This took six packages, though I got multiples of the 30-pin adapters, the plug to power supply adapters, the music lights, and the glucosamine for cats. Poor thing has the arthritis.
COOL! especially the old school mic. Not as classic sounding as the "bullet" but still OK.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 15, 2015, 03:19 PM

Apparently it did.
Fair point.

el chupacabra
Mac Elite
Jun 17, 2015, 10:07 AM

Walmart.
One time I went into Walmart and the check-out girl pulled out a bunch of coupons and news papers adds from other stores which she had brought to work. She quickly started price comparing everything (mostly groceries made in America) since Walmart matches competitor prices. She was doing this for everyone in her line.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jun 17, 2015, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by BadKosh View Post
COOL! especially the old school mic. Not as classic sounding as the "bullet" but still OK.
Unfortunately, we got it more for the look, which while spectacular, ends up blocking too much face. It'll get use as a prop though, so we're keeping it.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 18, 2015, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by el chupacabra View Post
Walmart.
One time I went into Walmart and the check-out girl pulled out a bunch of coupons and news papers adds from other stores which she had brought to work. She quickly started price comparing everything (mostly groceries made in America) since Walmart matches competitor prices. She was doing this for everyone in her line.
There's no Walmart in my hood, but I visit one upstate. the store is amazing, the people are nice there too.
I buy meds, shampoo and those cartoon sized cans of food. Though I really don't know how I'll eat a 10 lb can of beans, but when I do, stand clear.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 18, 2015, 11:56 AM

one more: Time Warner Cable.

I know, they have a bad rep. But I recently got rid of my landline (it's been out for a month, thanks Verizon), so I got a package with TWC.
Upped my internet to 100Mbps, got the phone, DVR, hookers, and I'm saving over $80 a month now.

I kept a landline because back in the day it would work when everything else went down. Now it's the first thing to go down and last to come back. Screw Verizon, you suck.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 18, 2015, 11:59 AM

that's sick. where's it from?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jun 18, 2015, 12:05 PM

No idea.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 18, 2015, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by osiris View Post
Upped my internet to 100Mbps, got the phone, DVR, hookers, and I'm saving over $80 a month now.
? ? ?

subego
Clinically Insane
Jun 18, 2015, 12:43 PM

Semi-related:

https://vimeo.com/109169719

This would be better as a GIF, but it's worth a 10 second look.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 18, 2015, 01:16 PM

? ? ?
It was a promotional package.

mindwaves  (op)
Jul 10, 2015, 10:47 PM

China Airlines
==========
I frequently fly to other countries for work/travel and I usually fly CA. I have qualified for their Gold card membership, which brings additional benefits (lounge use, extra luggage weight, no need to wait in line). CA is nice to me by frequently upgrading me to either their premium economy seats (when I fly economy) or their business class seats (same). And even when they do not upgrade my seat, I am positioned in a good seat location in the plane, such as being in the very, very back of their 777 planes where only two seats are placed together instead of their usual 3 seat positions. Also, I have not technically qualified for their Gold card membership the last 2 years (lack of miles), but they still have given me the Gold card.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 12, 2015, 01:43 PM

I love Emirates, they're my fav airline by far (though Quantis is great too). It seems that everything they do is a notch above the competition, in fact their flights are about the only ones I can sleep on, and their lounges...

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 15, 2015, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by mindwaves View Post
China Airlines
==========
I frequently fly to other countries for work/travel and I usually fly CA. I have qualified for their Gold card membership, which brings additional benefits (lounge use, extra luggage weight, no need to wait in line). CA is nice to me by frequently upgrading me to either their premium economy seats (when I fly economy) or their business class seats (same). And even when they do not upgrade my seat, I am positioned in a good seat location in the plane, such as being in the very, very back of their 777 planes where only two seats are placed together instead of their usual 3 seat positions. Also, I have not technically qualified for their Gold card membership the last 2 years (lack of miles), but they still have given me the Gold card.
I flew CA to Beijing from JFK - the food was great, seats still the old school large padded seats. The passengers (mostly Chinese) had their own food and shared with me what they had, and even offered to help with customs if needed. Interesting experience, but they fly over the poles which is supposedly not so healthy because of polar radiation. Which is why most civilized countries avoid the poles.

Speaking of radiation, ANA is nice if you're doing JFK-NRT, but they made the seats smaller, they're hard and don't recline, and the food is usually the same on every flight. Flight attendants are cute though. You need trillions of miles to get anything for free with them but stand a good chance of picking up a delightfully feminine woman. Or man, if that's your preference.

Delta (US) and AMEX have a good partnership, but Delta always screws you with upgraded/free flights - they arbitrarily move flights to a very inconvenient time at the last minute, which is bad if you have a tight schedule. I curse the bastards for this but like the actually flights.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 15, 2015, 03:01 PM

The pole thing would bug me more if I was a pilot or FA.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Jul 15, 2015, 04:30 PM

I love Emirates, they're my fav airline by far
Bleh, I'll take first class on a United 747/777 or business on a United 787 over business on Emirates any time.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 16, 2015, 01:45 PM

Emirates Airbus A380 first class is da bomb, there isn't anything in the sky quite like it.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 16, 2015, 04:14 PM

Emirates Airbus A380 first class is da bomb, there isn't anything in the sky quite like it.
I've seen pictures.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 16, 2015, 04:33 PM

The first time I saw it, on a trip to London, I almost started jumping up and down with glee. Each "suite" was like a little luxury apartment, including; foot massagers, a mini fridge, heated/cooled massaging lay-flat seats, 300 channels of HDTV, great broadband, and noise-blocking privacy screens. Oh yeah, and the 5 star food. Kobe filet and prawns... at 40k feet.

mindwaves  (op)
Jul 16, 2015, 06:52 PM

I would love to try the new 787 and A380 cabins. No chance so far. I do like CA's new 777s. I was on one on its maiden flight. Great experience.

Gearhead40
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 16, 2015, 07:33 PM

Chipotle - always giving me way more meat/beans/rice when I ask for a little more.

el chupacabra
Mac Elite
Jul 17, 2015, 02:25 AM

… .
( Last edited by el chupacabra; Jan 5, 2024 at 02:19 AM. )

badidea
Professional Poster
Jul 17, 2015, 07:40 AM

Thanks for the compliment! That's what we work for!

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Jul 17, 2015, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by el chupacabra View Post
You've actually flown ek first class? Damn. I checked the price once to fly to Maldives and it was $16,000. I thought of the things I could do with that money. .... buy a car.... Hell thats an annual salary for some people. It is nice though, your own assortment of truffles, jellies and honeys and well pretty much everything. I think they have showers too.
Business class to Australia has run me $16,000-$18,000 a few times, but that's for work so it's not out of my pocket

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 17, 2015, 10:55 AM

I only use Emirates FC when AmEx can get me bumped up from business, which has been quite often. Realistically though, the cost difference is only ~50%, and given the difference between the two, that's actually not a terrible value (if you're into the whole pampering, Middle Eastern-style, luxury thing (some people aren't)).

mindwaves  (op)
Jul 17, 2015, 01:28 PM

I only use Emirates FC when AmEx can get me bumped up from business, which has been quite often. Realistically though, the cost difference is only ~50%, and given the difference between the two, that's actually not a terrible value (if you're into the whole pampering, Middle Eastern-style, luxury thing (some people aren't)).
I've never done FC before, only paid for business class once. Can you explain how does Amex bumps you to FC? Do you bill to credit card and then call Amex for the upgrade?

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 17, 2015, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by mindwaves View Post
I've never done FC before, only paid for business class once. Can you explain how does Amex bumps you to FC? Do you bill to credit card and then call Amex for the upgrade?
If there are free seats in FC right before departure, AmEx automatically contacts them and asks for me to be bumped up, which they then often do. Then I get a text notification and confirmation.

Edit: I looked it up, because I'm a Centurion (black) card holder I'm automatically a member of Emirates' "Platinum Travel" service.

Savour the Privileges: As a Platinum Cardmember, you enjoy the comfort of Emirates First Class with a complimentary upgrade from Business Class when flying alone under the Business to First Class upgrade programme.
https://www.americanexpress.com/indi.../emirates.html

I think anyone with an AmEx platinum can get that too, but I'm not sure about additional and yearly fees to join.
( Last edited by Cap'n Tightpants; Jul 17, 2015 at 05:00 PM. )

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 26, 2015, 04:47 PM

I already sung the praises of the places where I get all my packages delivered, and it's run into the other company I like, Amazon.

Amazon is rolling out (or experimenting with) Sunday delivery, and the delivery place is closed on Sunday. The delivery guy called me and acted like a total jackass. Didn't really make it clear if he was going to take it back or leave it right outside the door a major street.

But this is the praise thread, right? Amazon guaranteed I'd get it regardless and gave me a couple extra months of Prime.

Works for me.

mindwaves  (op)
Jul 27, 2015, 09:32 PM

I'm going to see about applying for an Amex card.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 4, 2015, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
I already sung the praises of the places where I get all my packages delivered, and it's run into the other company I like, Amazon.

Amazon is rolling out (or experimenting with) Sunday delivery, and the delivery place is closed on Sunday. The delivery guy called me and acted like a total jackass. Didn't really make it clear if he was going to take it back or leave it right outside the door a major street.

But this is the praise thread, right? Amazon guaranteed I'd get it regardless and gave me a couple extra months of Prime.

Works for me.
The sunday delivery thing caught me by surprise when some items arrived on Sunday. I've since chosen to avoid weekend deliveries unless it is urgent, I will not be part of this and will not contribute to the further demise of civilization.

subego
Clinically Insane
Aug 4, 2015, 01:37 PM

I offered to keep deliveries off Sunday, but the guy running the startup (correctly) realizes he needs to follow Amazon's lead and be open on Sunday.

Forum Links
Forum Rules