Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > A heat solution?

A heat solution?
xe0
Forum Regular
May 10, 2006, 05:12 AM

Just a thought and perhaps some of the more technically knowledgeable may be able to comment:

My Macbook Pro hits around 67-70º under heavy load. namely when running Max Payne (Xp) or under InDesign (OSX) when working on large briefs.

During these large CPU and GPU loads, I can hardly hear the fans. And thats an understatement. To actually tell if the fans are even on, I have to put by ear about 20mm from the surface of the left or right speaker. I can audibly tell the fans are working harder than usual under such a heavy load - but still.. to me personally it doesn't seem to be pushing hot air out of the Macbook efficiently.

The question I ask - does anyone know of an app that can override the default fan settings - and speed up the rpms to push some of that heat out of the case?

Fan noise doesn't bother me at all. I still have an AMD 64 3000 rig - which sounds like a fan forced oven from the time of boot. I would rather a somewhat louder, but cooler Macbook as opposed to a quiet but blisteringly hot Macbook.

(For the record my Macbook is week 14, 2GHz, 1Gig Ram, 7200 hdd)

Comments appreciated.

xe0  (op)
Forum Regular
May 10, 2006, 05:19 AM

I probably should add - I have read the heat pipe / AS5 fix, but I would rather a software fix if at all possible. I consider myself somewhat adept with hardware - I've built many a PC in my time. But all the same I would rather not go digging in a relatively new Macbook.

Barefoot Matt
Forum Regular
May 11, 2006, 07:59 PM

I'm surprised you haven't heard the fans... they rev up pretty strongly for me when playing Fable in windows. If you're really pushing it and you can't hear the fans, maybe there's something wrong with them.
iPod nano 3G 16GB
MacBook Pro 1.83 / 100 GB 5400 RPM / 1.5 GB

mduell
Posting Junkie
May 11, 2006, 09:14 PM

70C CPU temp isn't a big deal at all... keep the fans where they are and enjoy the silence.

Darkfire
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 12, 2006, 01:21 PM

Newb question...How do you check what temp you macbook is running at? Thanks...

Danoldo
May 12, 2006, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by mduell
70C CPU temp isn't a big deal at all... keep the fans where they are and enjoy the silence.
it isnt a big deal to the CPU, but it might be if you keep it on your lap and you have to go to the hospital to get treated for 3rd degree burnsq

SLam
May 12, 2006, 08:14 PM

There's a crew that's working on implementing Enhanced Speed Step on OS X. It looks promising. They got it down to 37°C under normal use and a max of 47°C. They're also working on the whine issue.

BTW The MacBook Pro's not meant to be placed on your lap, according to Apple.
MacBook Pro 15" | 2 GB | 100 GB | 10.5.1stevelam.org

pete
Mac Elite
May 12, 2006, 08:21 PM

I'm excited about the possible fix through enhanced speed step. As the developer says, Apple is most likely working on a similar fix. Would be great if it worked!

n8236
Dedicated MacNNer
May 12, 2006, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by SLam
There's a crew that's working on implementing Enhanced Speed Step on OS X. It looks promising. They got it down to 37°C under normal use and a max of 47°C. They're also working on the whine issue.

BTW The MacBook Pro's not meant to be placed on your lap, according to Apple.
great post man. subscribed

xe0  (op)
Forum Regular
May 13, 2006, 03:13 AM

Perhaps, depending on your point of view.

A computer operating 20 to 30º away from maximum CPU temperature threshold - is personally unacceptable.

Great to hear however that the guys over at InCrew are working on a fan fix!!
Fantastic news actually. I'll be monitoring the site and eagerly await the first release

hndsmman
May 13, 2006, 03:22 AM

Ummm, yeah! 75C is when a processor starts deteriorating, and running above 60C for a long time will decrease the life time of your proc.

xe0  (op)
Forum Regular
May 13, 2006, 03:22 AM

Originally Posted by mister
Newb question...How do you check what temp you macbook is running at? Thanks...
http://macbricol.free.fr/coreduotemp/
Grab this dude. It displays your cpu temperature and usage.
Far more convenient that the .kext

masugu
Senior User
May 13, 2006, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by xe0
http://macbricol.free.fr/coreduotemp/
Grab this dude. It displays your cpu temperature and usage.
Far more convenient that the .kext

How about using a meat thermometer

Simon
Posting Junkie
May 14, 2006, 03:44 AM

Originally Posted by Def Jef
Ummm, yeah! 75C is when a processor starts deteriorating, and running above 60C for a long time will decrease the life time of your proc.
Bullshit.

The only thing that would decrease the CPU's lifetime is running it above it's spec'ed max operating temperature. 60C is nowhere near that. And at 75C the CPU is doing just fine - it was made to be run. FUD.

n8236
Dedicated MacNNer
May 17, 2006, 12:01 AM

Mine run around 56*C near idle while it's 79-82*C at full load, does this warrant a return?

jvicinanza
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 17, 2006, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by Def Jef
This is incorrect. The Duo can stand upto 100oc, at 125oc it closes down. 60oc is pretty cool for a duel processor. The MBP proc will run from 70 to 80oc at full throttle.

Cheers

Jason

phantomo
Dedicated MacNNer
May 17, 2006, 11:09 AM

I don't care if the CPU can stand 100 deg C or not. All I know is that my MBP is burning my lap. And it is so hot I cannot touch the bottom side.
15"MBP/C2D2.4GHz/4GB RAM/320GB HD
15"MBP/C2D2.16GHz/3GB RAM/250GB HD
12"PB/1GHz/768MB/60GB/SuperDrive/AE
iPhone 8GB/iPod video 30GB

Simon
Posting Junkie
May 17, 2006, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by phantomo
I don't care if the CPU can stand 100 deg C or not. All I know is that my MBP is burning my lap. And it is so hot I cannot touch the bottom side.
Then it's broken. Bring it back. Have it fixed.

They might get really warm, but if they're too hot to touch, they're broken.

jvicinanza
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 18, 2006, 02:58 AM

Originally Posted by phantomo
Doctor doctor it hurts when i poke myself in the eye. Doctor: Then don't poke yourself in the eye.

... or as Apple as stated do not use the notebook on your lap for extended periods of time.

cheers

jason

Forum Links
Forum Rules