Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Software update has rendered iMac retina useless

Software update has rendered iMac retina useless
mdenmarsh
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 1, 2015, 02:38 PM

Updated iMac with yesterday's updates.

I can no longer start my Mac even in safe mode.

1. After update the following happened. Mac booted.

No access to keychain, curious dialog box stating about caller denied only apple products can acess security agent, outlook would not start and could not find data base, drobo access denied, parallels would not start stating a out of storage issues despite 250gb avail.

Restarted 2 times things deteriorating each time.

Now I can not even boot into safe. Chime hold shift.

27imqc retina, 16gb ram, 1.1 RB Hd.

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Jul 1, 2015, 03:08 PM

Looks like a hosed update. Time to reinstall the OS, I think.

reader50
Administrator
Jul 1, 2015, 03:31 PM

Boot into the Recovery partition by holding command-R during startup. From there you can verify the main drive and/or reinstall the OS.

honestone
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 3, 2015, 05:04 PM

Sorry about your issues. That is one reason why I prefer to download the updates myself (when possible), and install them at my leisure. For the most recent OS 10.10.4 update, there is a Combo Updater available, as a separate download (don't need to use Software Update and/or go to the Apple Store). The same is true for the latest version of iTunes.

So, assuming you boot into Recovery Mode and use Disk Utility there to 1) Verify and Repair the disk at the Volume (ie, top) level, and 2) Verify and Repair Permissions, and Verify and Repair the Disk at the Partition (ie, second) level, that could resolve your issues. If you need to re-install the OS, it might be "OK" to do it directly. But, if you need to Erase, Format, and Partition your internal drive, it would be best if you first have a backup of everything, so that after installing the OS, you can use Migration Assistant to migrate all your other non-system applications, files, folders, etc.

Note that re-installing the OS gets you to OS 10.10.

By the way, you can get the latest updates as follows:

OS 10.10.4 Combo Updater: https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1820?locale=en_US

iTunes 12.2: https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1814?locale=en_US

Forum Links
Forum Rules