Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Screen Rotation

Screen Rotation
jasong
Mac Elite
Jan 18, 2004, 01:10 AM

I did a search on rotating the powerbook screen in to portrait mode, but didn't find so much. Has anyone had any luck with this?

-- Jason

KraziKid
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 18, 2004, 01:28 AM

Just curious, but what would be the point of it?
15 inch MacBook Pro 2.16 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 7200 RPM 100GB HDD.

Dual 2.5 GHz Power Mac G5, 1 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, ATI Radeon X800XT.

all2ofme
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 18, 2004, 06:12 AM

Being able to stand the PB up and use it for editing portrait photos would be a good use. I'd rather do it on a rotated desktop, display, though, since then you wouldn't need an external k/b.

Daracle
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 18, 2004, 10:20 AM

I dont know if this would be more worth the time and effort
Who reads this???

jasong  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 18, 2004, 10:36 AM

I'm looking to rebuild a PowerBook into a Tablet, and it will be oh so much more useful if I can use it in portrait mode.

So now that I have said why, who wants to take bets on the new subject of this thread having something to do with the relative merits/deficiencies of tablets. Just so you know, I don't care if you love them/hate them. This is my project with my PowerBook.

So, does anyone know of any software to rotate the screen on a PowerBook. I am willing to pay for such a solution.

-- Jason

all2ofme
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 18, 2004, 11:45 AM

I don't think there's anything out there for the Mac which even does it on an external display apart from the retail version of the Radeon 9800 Pro (if memory serves me correctly). I wanted to do it myself but there just seemed to be no drivers out there to do it. Doing it on a PB would seem to be even more difficult.

Good luck though, sounds like a fun project.

Blackstealth
Jan 18, 2004, 11:54 AM

Radius used to supply software to use with their displays to run them in portrait mode in OS 9 and earlier. However I don't believe there's currently an OS X app or hack that allows you to rotate the screen.
It's arrived - 15" PB 1.25Ghz - Damn is this a fine machine!

danbrew
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 18, 2004, 01:53 PM

It can be done - a few years ago I downloaded some software from versiontracker.com that allowed me to rotate the screen 90 degrees on my original TiPB. I searched versiontracker and my posting history here at MacNN and was unable to find a reference - but you might want to try google or other searching tools. It worked well.

jasong  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 18, 2004, 03:41 PM

yeah, I think I found some references to a program that did this under OS 9, but I want something in OS X. I googled it for a while, but didn't find anything but a few other people looking.

-- Jason

Guy Kuo
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 19, 2004, 03:04 AM

Alas the MacPivot software only worked in OS9. I used to use it, but even under OS9 it was easy to break the software. Just play a Quicktime video and yuck!

Nothing equivalent to it has been avaialable on the Mac for OSX. You can do it on a PC, but there isn't support for the Mac.

Forum Links
Forum Rules