Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Arizona bans ethnic studies - and it begins™

Arizona bans ethnic studies - and it begins™ (Page 4)
hyteckit  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 17, 2010, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by BadKosh View Post
Once we were just Americans until the liberals came around to judge and categorize based on divisive traits.
What an asinine statement. Coming from a guy who knows nothing about US history.

Yeah, once we were just Americans until BadKosh came around and categorize Americans into liberals and conservatives.

Chinese were banned from immigrating to the US.
Women didn't have the right to vote.
Blacks didn't have the same rights as Whites.
Japanese were put into interment camps.
Interracial marriages were banned.
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
May 17, 2010, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by hyteckit View Post
Japanese were put into interment camps.
So were Italians and Germans.
45/47

andi*pandi
May 17, 2010, 09:22 PM

Irish and French Canadians were persecuted for their faith and desire to work the jobs that americans didn't want.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
May 17, 2010, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by ;3968538
I wasn't aware of that. I'll have to do some research, as I had German relatives in America before WWII, and I'd never heard that.

Edit; NM. I just found some articles on it. Although the numbers were much smaller than the Japanese, over 11000 Germans were indeed interned. Must be that liberal thing.

I do know that one of my mother's brothers was sent to Kentucky as a POW during WWII, but that's a little different scenario.

Simon
Posting Junkie
May 18, 2010, 03:10 AM

Originally Posted by hyteckit View Post
Blacks didn't have the same rights as Whites.
And the census didn't count them like Whites either. What was it again, a negro counts as 3/5 of a white man?

But yeah, they all came to America on their own free will, were cheerfully welcomed, and then became proud Americans. Now that's a nice tale.

BadKosh
Professional Poster
May 18, 2010, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by OldManMac View Post
They came to make money, and anyone who was a minority, like the Irish, the Chinese, the Japanese, and even white Catholics were treated like shit, often segregated from the white people. It was the Chinese who built most of the railroads. Your asinine statement that they were proud to be Americans shows how little you know. If you look at history from the whitewashed perspective of the controlling white man, then your statement makes sense. I seriously doubt that a Chinese or Irish laborer, working under grueling conditions, for much less than his white counterpart, and unable to speak the language until generations later, would give you a thumbs up on being an American. They didn't even know what that meant.
Obviously, you have been brainwashed by the leftists. Sure, immigrants came here to be hated if we believe your version of 'history.' It had nothing to do with starting over?

I'm a railroad historian as a hobby. The Chinese and Russians and Irish and the like who helped to build the railroads were not paid according to their race as you believe. The truth is in the details, not in the generalities you spew. The language barriers did cause issues but when the tasks were drawn out as illustrations, a trick the Brits used in Africa to keep the labor on the same page, this reduced the problem. I'm not saying that everyone was treated equally, but nowhere is that the case.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
May 18, 2010, 08:15 AM

I'm not saying that everyone was treated equally, but nowhere is that the case.
You're the one who's swallowing garbage. Real history isn't as pretty as you've been taught it was. I'll bet you believe that Christopher Columbus really found America.

BadKosh
Professional Poster
May 18, 2010, 09:05 AM

You're the one who's swallowing garbage. Real history isn't as pretty as you've been taught it was. I'll bet you believe that Christopher Columbus really found America.
Perhaps you need to learn to read more carefully.

I said "I'm not saying that everyone was treated equally, but nowhere is that the case."

NOWHERE ARE PEOPLE TREATED EQUALLY.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
May 18, 2010, 09:10 AM

I said "I'm not saying that everyone was treated equally, but nowhere is that the case."
Nowhere is *what* the case?

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
May 18, 2010, 10:46 AM

Perhaps you need to learn to read more carefully.

NOWHERE ARE PEOPLE TREATED EQUALLY.
Perhaps you missed my point; in America we are taught that we are exceptional, and are presented a whitewashed picture of our history. We tell the rest of the world of our American Exceptionalism, and that we are the beacon of light for the world, when our own history is anything but righteous, not only as regards what happens on our own soil, but in the ways in which we've caused the deaths of people around the world, when we've supported (and still do support) regimes that are downright murderous to their own people. IOW, we have no room to talk, because we don't walk the walk. If you believe otherwise, you're either naive, disingenuous, or ignorant of facts.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
May 18, 2010, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
Yeah well at least the Italian and German POWs could eat at a diner or in the regular mess hall. Something that black US soldiers could not do. So much for being "American" and BadKosh's pollyannish assessment of US history.

OAW

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
May 19, 2010, 10:33 PM

In regards to the original subject...

Good! Cancel that shit!

BadKosh
Professional Poster
May 20, 2010, 07:51 AM

Perhaps you missed my point; in America we are taught that we are exceptional, and are presented a whitewashed picture of our history. We tell the rest of the world of our American Exceptionalism, and that we are the beacon of light for the world, when our own history is anything but righteous, not only as regards what happens on our own soil, but in the ways in which we've caused the deaths of people around the world, when we've supported (and still do support) regimes that are downright murderous to their own people. IOW, we have no room to talk, because we don't walk the walk. If you believe otherwise, you're either naive, disingenuous, or ignorant of facts.
Perhaps your schooling is to blame? You are obviously a hater of yourself and guilt driven. I didn't miss your point, it just doesn't matter. As I have said before the facts are in the details. I have been studying the development of the railroads, the technologies and the day to day history. People from all over helped to build them from the 1830's to today. Before the interstate road system was in place, it was the primary way people traded large amounts of products. This affected the country and the many people who would benefit. During this time our population grew and changed. You seem to think your idiotic generalizations are facts. Again you are wrong. The facts are in the details.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
May 20, 2010, 02:47 PM

Perhaps your schooling is to blame? You are obviously a hater of yourself and guilt driven. I didn't miss your point, it just doesn't matter. As I have said before the facts are in the details. I have been studying the development of the railroads, the technologies and the day to day history. People from all over helped to build them from the 1830's to today. Before the interstate road system was in place, it was the primary way people traded large amounts of products. This affected the country and the many people who would benefit. During this time our population grew and changed. You seem to think your idiotic generalizations are facts. Again you are wrong. The facts are in the details.
:::::: Wwwwwhhhhooooossshhhhhh :::::::

That was the sound of OldManMac's point going right over your head. Why are you sitting here arguing a point that is NOT in dispute? When did he ever say that only one ethnic group built the railroads? Uhhhh .... he didn't! But you focus on this tangential minutiae in order to avoid the fundamental issue ....

Originally Posted by OldManMac
Your asinine statement that they were proud to be Americans shows how little you know. If you look at history from the whitewashed perspective of the controlling white man, then your statement makes sense.
And you have the nerve to talk about "idiotic generalizations"? Yeah ... I bet on the planet you live on those Africans forced into slavery were "proud to be Americans" too? "Until the liberals came around to judge and categorize based on divisive traits" that is.

OAW

besson3c
Clinically Insane
May 20, 2010, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by Kerrigan View Post
In regards to the original subject...

Good! Cancel that shit!

Thanks for emoting!

BadKosh
Professional Poster
May 20, 2010, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
Nowhere is *what* the case?
Nowhere are people treated equally.

BadKosh
Professional Poster
May 20, 2010, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by OAW View Post
:::::: Wwwwwhhhhooooossshhhhhh :::::::

That was the sound of OldManMac's point going right over your head. Why are you sitting here arguing a point that is NOT in dispute? When did he ever say that only one ethnic group built the railroads? Uhhhh .... he didn't! But you focus on this tangential minutiae in order to avoid the fundamental issue ....

And you have the nerve to talk about "idiotic generalizations"? Yeah ... I bet on the planet you live on those Africans forced into slavery were "proud to be Americans" too? "Until the liberals came around to judge and categorize based on divisive traits" that is.

OAW
So you assume those who forced the africans into slavery were white? They were POWs in the african tribal wars and sold to the dutch and others. The Dutch were by and large the greatest traders in slaves. Put the blame where you want. Those who came to America by choice are the subject. Why do you think were were called The Melting Pot???

BadKosh
Professional Poster
May 20, 2010, 03:35 PM

Perhaps you missed my point; in America we are taught that we are exceptional, and are presented a whitewashed picture of our history.
WHO is whitewashing history? The wonderful revisionists? The highly competent union teachers? The honest politicians? I'm shocked. Nowhere else could that be the case.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
May 20, 2010, 04:39 PM

So you assume those who forced the africans into slavery were white?
In some cases ... yes.

Originally Posted by BadKosh
They were POWs in the african tribal wars and sold to the dutch and others.
In some cases .... yes.

The Dutch were by and large the greatest traders in slaves.
Actually that would be the Portuguese.

Put the blame where you want. Those who came to America by choice are the subject. Why do you think were were called The Melting Pot???
Well as I recall you said ....

Once we were just Americans until the liberals came around to judge and categorize based on divisive traits.
I see no such distinctions in that statement.

Moreover, in 1790 "African-Americans" (and I use that term loosely for that era) were the second largest ethnic group in the US (757K @ 20% of the population). By 1808 the importation of slaves was banned by Congress ... so African-Americans today are by and large descendants of those who were in America prior to that time. Up to 1850 nearly all the growth in the US population was the result of resident births. From 1850 through 1930 we had huge waves of European immigration. Germans, Irish, British, Italian, Jews, Swedes, Norwegians, and Polish. There was even a wave of French-Canadians from Quebec. Millions of people came to the US during these decades. German-Americans who weren't even half the population of African-Americans in 1790 are today the largest ethnic group in the US. So it can be credibly argued that African-Americans are the "oldest" ethnic group in the US outside of Native Americans. Or perhaps I should say African-Americans have the longest family lineage in the US on a per capita basis outside of Native Americans.

The "subject" is actually "ethnic studies" and "divisiveness". So why exactly weren't African-Americans (the only ethnic group in the US that did not come by choice for the most part) included in this discussion in your mind?

OAW

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
May 20, 2010, 09:18 PM

WHO is whitewashing history? The wonderful revisionists? The highly competent union teachers? The honest politicians? I'm shocked. Nowhere else could that be the case.
You obviously paid attention in school.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
May 20, 2010, 09:26 PM

You obviously paid attention in school.
Duh! School is filled with "wonderful revisionists" and "highly competent union teachers?". Of *course* he didn't pay attention.

hyteckit  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 21, 2010, 03:51 AM

Well, in Texas history books, slaves never existed and Thomas Jefferson was who?

Texas schools board rewrites US history with lessons promoting God and guns | World news | The Guardian

Who wrote the Declaration of Independence? Thomas Jefferson God.
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

Forum Links
Forum Rules