Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > RAM and Virtual PC

RAM and Virtual PC
chrisutley
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 26, 2004, 12:41 PM

I've got 768MB of RAM in my Albook 15" 1GHz. I run VPC 6 with XP Pro. I'm wondering what throwing more RAM at VPC will do. Say I put another GB of RAM in this thing and allocated 768MB of physical RAM to VPC, will I see a significant performance increase?

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 26, 2004, 01:09 PM

That depends on what you're doing in VPC. If it's RAM-dependent, then yes, you could see a big increase in speed. But if all you're doing is playing Solitaire, then I don't think it will help.

One thing that's important to note is that giving VPC too much of your physical RAM is bad--you'll get lots of pageouts and your machine will get very slow. How much do you give it? You have 768MB of physical RAM; I'd try giving it no more than half.

bmhome1
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 27, 2004, 01:08 AM

Allocating more than 256 RAM to VPC is little benefit. Get more RAM to run OSX without ANY page-outs during VPC sessions, 512MB minimum, more the better. Also, closing all other OSX running applications helps, the idea is to give OSX as much resources to run VPC as possible. Also, the smaller the drive image, the faster it will run. Avoid installing unnecessary apps, Windows Acrobat Reader installed will destroy XP's speed, for example. Turn off all animation effects in Control Panel, select Classic theme, Classic window display. The more you can make XP look and act like Win95 the faster it will run.

malvolio
Professional Poster
Aug 27, 2004, 01:18 AM

^ ^ ^
Excellent advice.
BTW, "all other OS X running applications" includes the Finder.
Oh yeah, and turn off sound in VPC.
/mal
"I sentence you to be hanged by the neck until you cheer up."
MacBook Pro 15" w/ Mac OS 10.8.2, iPhone 4S & iPad 4th-gen. w/ iOS 6.1.2

Sven G
Professional Poster
Aug 27, 2004, 01:05 PM

Also, it could help to turn off the XP system recovery feature: if you regularly back up your drive image, or use the undoable drives feature, it's useless anyway.

The freedom of all is essential to my freedom. - Mikhail Bakunin

Forum Links
Forum Rules