Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > buy now, or wait?!?!?

buy now, or wait?!?!?
travism
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 13, 2004, 07:43 PM

ok, so i joined the ADC student developer thing and I get like 20% off the purchase of a new mac. I want to get the dual 1.8, but this new release of information regarding the 2.5 possibility leads me to some confusion as to the best plan of action.

now, i've never been a mac user (linux and bsd user...and windows) so i don't know the release cycles of Apple. i have no idea the turnaround of a just released new system to when the customer actually gets it, but i suspect it could take a while.

i'd prefer to get a dual system and who is to say Apple will release a dual 2.5 or what have you. what do u all think? wait or buy now???

travism
UNIX guru

"I'd not even run X11 if not for the fact I like to browse webpages with color and images"

-Q-
Feb 13, 2004, 09:01 PM

Hard to say when the new 2.5s will actually ship if they're announced next week but I'd at least wait until next week to see what that shipping date is and make your decision then.

SouthPaW1227
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 13, 2004, 09:38 PM

WAIT! Goodness please wait! We've been waiting for these G5 updates for awhile, but now that IBM has "officially" released plans to unveil the 2.5Ghz G5 next week, the guessing has ended, and it's just a short matter of time. Apple won't let a big press release about there being 2.5Ghz G5s out there go without implementing these chips into their own systems.

travism  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 13, 2004, 10:25 PM

yeah, but the article only said they had the ability to make them...not that they were acutally in production.

i really want a dual and not a single. would they still keep selling the dual 1.8s or 2.0s? I know I wouldn't have the patience to wait more than a week or two for the mac to get here anyway. But I have really no idea how Apple works. Would they announce the system configurations (and prices) and yet still sell the current selection they have available on their websites?
UNIX guru

"I'd not even run X11 if not for the fact I like to browse webpages with color and images"

SouthPaW1227
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 13, 2004, 11:04 PM

Trust me, they're already available to Apple, most likely just waiting to make enough & pass production tests to be made available soon after the annoucement. And yes, you can absolutely bet with speed bumps there will be a lower-model dual system available as well with a slightly slower speed.

masugu
Senior User
Feb 13, 2004, 11:39 PM

Originally posted by SouthPaW1227:
Trust me, they're already available to Apple, most likely just waiting to make enough & pass production tests to be made available soon after the annoucement. And yes, you can absolutely bet with speed bumps there will be a lower-model dual system available as well with a slightly slower speed.
More interesting question (to me) is, what other enhancement / bug fixes will the new G5's have??? Room for another CD drive? Extra ports of some sort? WRT peripherals...what about a new Keyboard &/or mouse? I will definitely wait. Meanwhile, my 1GHz Ti PB will do just fine.

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Feb 16, 2004, 11:31 AM

Originally posted by masugu:
More interesting question (to me) is, what other enhancement / bug fixes will the new G5's have??? Room for another CD drive? Extra ports of some sort? WRT peripherals...what about a new Keyboard &/or mouse? I will definitely wait. Meanwhile, my 1GHz Ti PB will do just fine.
Ummm... don't expect any sort of change in the case with regard to Optical drives or Hard drives. Common sense and basid R&D economics dictate that the current setup will be with us for some time yet.

As for Mouse and Keyboard, I don't hold out much hope at all as there isnothing else to offer apart from the wireless things, which are *not* going to be given away free...

Travism, if I were were you I would keep money in pocket for a few more weeks until the next revision, regardless of how much it is burning...

Forum Links
Forum Rules