Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > X11UserForMacOSX - cannot find BOM

X11UserForMacOSX - cannot find BOM
thesearcher
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 9, 2003, 04:13 PM

I've downloaded the file twice, but each time, it gives an error:
The Installer package "X11UserForMacOSX" cannot be opened.
The Bill of Materials for this package was not found.

If I "Show package contents" , there is no BOM for the package, but there is for each of the bundled packages. X11Config.pkg and X11LibApple.pkg open without error, but X11User.pkg gives the same error as above. (except with the name "X11User")

Has anyone else run into that? Is there a download link other than the one off Apples X11 page? Does Software Update use a different link?

syrinx2112
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 9, 2003, 04:51 PM

You mean in the installer log, or when you run X11UserForMacOSX? X11UserForMacOSX is a meta package so it doesn't contain a bom. I'm not sure why exactly that error message gets generated, but it shouldn't be too big of a problem.

The second is troubling, since the X11User package certainly does need to be installed. When you show package contents for X11User.pkg, is there an Archive.bom and Archive.pax.gz? What are their sizes? What X update are you running? How are you on disk space?

Originally posted by thesearcher:
I've downloaded the file twice, but each time, it gives an error:
The Installer package "X11UserForMacOSX" cannot be opened.
The Bill of Materials for this package was not found.

If I "Show package contents" , there is no BOM for the package, but there is for each of the bundled packages. X11Config.pkg and X11LibApple.pkg open without error, but X11User.pkg gives the same error as above. (except with the name "X11User")

Has anyone else run into that? Is there a download link other than the one off Apples X11 page? Does Software Update use a different link?

thesearcher  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 9, 2003, 05:11 PM

Running 10.2.3 with 33 GB hd space free. Using iGetter to download. (stuck with dial-up)
The drive image won't open unless I skip the checksum check.
The mpkg is 42.4 MB (installer gives previously mentioned error)

X11Config.pkg (installer runs)
Archive.bom - 84 KB
Archive.pax.gz - 4 KB

X11LibApple.pkg (installer runs)
Archive.bom - 84 KB
Archive.pax.gz - 32 KB

X11User.pkg (installer gives previously mentioned error)
Archive.bom - 1020 KB
Archive.pax.gz - 41 MB (stuffit expander chokes when expanding this file separately.)

I guess I'll have to take my chances with Software Update.
( Last edited by thesearcher; Jan 9, 2003 at 05:19 PM. )

syrinx2112
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 9, 2003, 05:39 PM

Don't think you can get X11 via SU. I don't know what iGetter is, but this sounds like the problem likely lies there. Try getting the package by some other means, like IE or Safari (though it sounds like downloading via Safari is not all the rage today

Good luck! Let us know how it goes.

Originally posted by thesearcher:
Running 10.2.3 with 33 GB hd space free. Using iGetter to download. (stuck with dial-up)
The drive image won't open unless I skip the checksum check.
The mpkg is 42.4 MB (installer gives previously mentioned error)

X11Config.pkg (installer runs)
Archive.bom - 84 KB
Archive.pax.gz - 4 KB

X11LibApple.pkg (installer runs)
Archive.bom - 84 KB
Archive.pax.gz - 32 KB

X11User.pkg (installer gives previously mentioned error)
Archive.bom - 1020 KB
Archive.pax.gz - 41 MB (stuffit expander chokes when expanding this file separately.)

I guess I'll have to take my chances with Software Update.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jan 9, 2003, 05:50 PM

If you send me an e-mail (support at charlessoft dot com), I could send you a pre-release build of Pacifist that can open .mpkg files, and you could see if it can open your package.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

syrinx2112
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 9, 2003, 06:27 PM

I tried downloading via iGetter and installing and it worked fine for me. Note that a huge majority of the download time is spent downloading the User package (something like 41 out of 42MB). The disk should not fail verification, either.

thesearcher  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 10, 2003, 10:48 PM

I tried opening X11User.pkg in the 2nd download with Pacifist, but it too gave a 'file corrupted' error.

I shut off 'pasv ftp' in network prefs, and downloaded X11 again, and this time it worked. Seeing as it is an http download, I am not sure how that would have caused corrupted downloads, though.

Forum Links
Forum Rules