Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Nintendo Revolution

Nintendo Revolution (Page 15)
starman
Clinically Insane
Dec 23, 2005, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by goMac
...the touch screen won't seem so stupid with handwriting recognition. While all the PSP fanboys have to slowly enter each letter of a URL we can just write the whole thing quickly.
egg freckles

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

starman
Clinically Insane
Dec 23, 2005, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by ort888
Call me crazy, but I really don't want my handheld game system to be a web browser. When would I use it? I have a iBook at home and you can't get online anywhere besides hotspots. Then when you do, you are limited to a tiny screen and horrible interface.
I love the PSP as a web browser. I'd rather carry that around than an iBook. If I'm out, I'm usually looking things up like sports scores, etc., or things people can't remember ("who played so-and-so in that movie?"). I posted to NN a few times with it also.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 23, 2005, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by starman
egg freckles
Right, nothing works better than entering URLs with handwritting recognition

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 23, 2005, 07:04 PM

Again with the PSP vs NDS ? good lord....get used to it, the NDS has won and the PSP has lost. sheesh. total sales figures say so, weekly sales figures say so, game sales say so, game charts say so. sheesh.... grow up and accept the fact that Nintendo has done a great job with the NDS.

it's just a handheld gaming device, and you dont have to be so arrogant that you cant admit the fact that the NDS has outsold the PSP on a global basis, and that there are many more games available for it, it far more genres than on the PSP. And people (yes that includes women and kids) probably enjoy the NDS a lot more than the middle-ages-male-technophile niche that Sony targeted with the PSP.

You got a webbrowser and analog nub ? congradulations. the NDS has many more games and better games, and an online gaming network.

By the way, this is the Nintendo Revolution thread.

starman
Clinically Insane
Dec 23, 2005, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a
Again with the PSP vs NDS ? good lord....get used to it, the NDS has won and the PSP has lost. sheesh. total sales figures say so, weekly sales figures say so, game sales say so, game charts say so. sheesh.... grow up and accept the fact that Nintendo has done a great job with the NDS.

it's just a handheld gaming device, and you dont have to be so arrogant that you cant admit the fact that the NDS has outsold the PSP on a global basis, and that there are many more games available for it, it far more genres than on the PSP. And people (yes that includes women and kids) probably enjoy the NDS a lot more than the middle-ages-male-technophile niche that Sony targeted with the PSP.

You got a webbrowser and analog nub ? congradulations. the NDS has many more games and better games, and an online gaming network.

By the way, this is the Nintendo Revolution thread.

Why can't you STFU and let those of us who have BOTH let us talk about the pros and cons of BOTH?

Are you so insecure that you can't take a little pro-PSP criticism?

BTW: Ironic that you talk about sales figures on a MACINTOSH forum.

phillryu
Mac Elite
Dec 23, 2005, 09:09 PM

Why can't you STFU and let those of us who have BOTH let us talk about the pros and cons of BOTH?

It DOES seem to have gone off topic/on a tangent... you're no longer talking about these machines related to Revolution. I clicked on this thread hoping for some intelligent conversation about the Nintendo Revolution, and was disappointed.

MacThemes.net Editor in Chief

meelk
Baninated
Dec 23, 2005, 09:23 PM

Here are the latest Japanese hardware sales for the week of December 12 - 18:

1. Nintendo DS - 408,770 [3,163,547] units
2. PSP - 95,689 [1,953,737] units
3. PlayStation 2 - 55,342 [1,792,725] units
4. GameBoy Advance SP - 19,098 [644,501] units
5. GameCube - 17,849 [223,955] units
6. GameBoy Micro - 14,432 [384,593] units
7. Xbox 360 - 8,623 [52,593] units
8. GameBoy Advance - 416 [24,054] units
9. Xbox - 182 [12,143] units

Nintendo sold over 400,000 DS units in ONE WEEK.
/end discussion.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 24, 2005, 07:23 PM

Hey spew all you want about ur godsent PSP in ur PSP fanboy threads, most of us on this thread dont care. if you want to ramble on about sonys failed hardware, go on. Be ready to hear other's opinions as well.

Insecure eh? totally understand, dont take it out on me.

Market share. yes, thats why the Mac's growing, iPod's growing, PSP's declining.

Cheers

PS>> ownership doesnt necessarily give you the expertise to discuss the maarket performance of a product..... as we have all seen.

starman
Clinically Insane
Dec 24, 2005, 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by meelk
Here are the latest Japanese hardware sales for the week of December 12 - 18:

1. Nintendo DS - 408,770 [3,163,547] units
2. PSP - 95,689 [1,953,737] units
3. PlayStation 2 - 55,342 [1,792,725] units
4. GameBoy Advance SP - 19,098 [644,501] units
5. GameCube - 17,849 [223,955] units
6. GameBoy Micro - 14,432 [384,593] units
7. Xbox 360 - 8,623 [52,593] units
8. GameBoy Advance - 416 [24,054] units
9. Xbox - 182 [12,143] units

Nintendo sold over 400,000 DS units in ONE WEEK.
/end discussion.
By that logic we should all sell our Macs and buy Windows.

/end fanboysim

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 25, 2005, 03:07 AM

By that logic we should all sell our Macs and buy Windows.

/end fanboysim
Are you some kind of lunatic ? noone cares that you own n love a PSP, and hate the DS. u like you PSP ? congradulations.

I for one am sick of you Sony/Microsoft fanboys trying to turn every discussion about Nintendo products into a deathmatch between the NDS and PSP, at every opportunity and in every thread about Nintendo. The NDS has won the battle for marketshare and developer support, so move on already. No one cares that you have a PSP, no one wants you to sell or buy anything.

Just as the iPod is selling like hotcakes these days, no one cares about the 'Anti-Mac' idiots who want their iRivers and Walkmen.

Sheesh, grow up.

PS>> 400,000+ hardware unit sales for NDS in Japan alone. 8/10 top software title sales in Japan were on Nintendo systems, 6 of which are NDS titles. Yup from the looks of it, Nintendo is doomed cause the only people who play video games are sony/microsoft fanboys and graphics whores.

starman
Clinically Insane
Dec 25, 2005, 03:27 AM

You didn't answer my question

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 25, 2005, 04:08 AM

lol.... well ill just put it this way.... i aint the one yapping on about a failed console in a thread which has nothing to do with it.

The PSP is one of the has been of portable gaming consoles. you fanboys can start using it as a webbrowser/movie player/music player/toaster/dildo/whatever.

So anyway..... movinggggg on....
( Last edited by Hawkeye_a; Dec 25, 2005 at 09:01 PM. )

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 7, 2006, 05:18 PM

Game Informer has an exclusive hands-on with an Ubi-Soft Revolution title, "Red Steel", here go a couple of images…

Note how altering the angle you use the Revolution controller have the same effect on the game character's hand, cool huh?

Velocity211
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 8, 2006, 12:45 AM

Crap post.
( Last edited by Lateralus; Apr 8, 2006 at 03:51 AM. )
iMac 24" | Core 2 Extreme 2.8GHz | 4GB RAM | 500GB HD
PowerBook G4 15" HR | 1.67GHz | 2GB RAM | 100GB HD
R.I.P 1995 Toyota Supra NA-T

meelk
Baninated
Apr 8, 2006, 01:17 AM

Originally Posted by Velocity211
Revolution=Total Crap
wow, what an intelligent arguement. your high school debate team must have been proud.

spectre
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 8, 2006, 02:48 AM

I haven't owned a console since the days of psx and n64, but I just might get a revolution if it is cheap enough. A lot of simple games could be fun with that new controller... something like a tennis game, or golf, and of course fps would be pretty cool with it.

Graphics from that Red Steel game look more than adequate imo. If I was really hardcore with an hdtv I'd probably get a ps3, but I don't have that much time and money to spend on videogames.

Super Mario
Apr 8, 2006, 04:15 AM

It's not in game shots sorry. They are conceptual renders.
( Last edited by Super Mario; Jan 10, 2018 at 04:06 PM. )

goMac
Posting Junkie
Apr 8, 2006, 04:22 AM

Originally Posted by Super Mario
According to Game Informer they are screenshots, not renders.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Super Mario
Apr 8, 2006, 04:26 AM

According to Game Informer they are screenshots, not renders.
They published high res versions for the magazine shots. I know a receptionist who works for them.....in more than one way
( Last edited by Super Mario; Jan 10, 2018 at 04:07 PM. )

goMac
Posting Junkie
Apr 8, 2006, 04:29 AM

They published high res versions for the magazine shots. I know a receptionist who works for them.....in more than one way
Then they wouldn't be conceptual, now would they?
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Super Mario
Apr 8, 2006, 04:56 AM

Then they wouldn't be conceptual, now would they?
Uh yes they are if they are prerendered on a pc and Photoshopped. Proof. Of. Concept.

The Revolution doesn't output a resolution high enough for high quality full page magazine print.

Anyway what's so good about another Virtua Cop?

goMac
Posting Junkie
Apr 8, 2006, 05:30 AM

Uh yes they are if they are prerendered on a pc and Photoshopped. Proof. Of. Concept.

The Revolution doesn't output a resolution high enough for high quality full page magazine print.

Anyway what's so good about another Virtua Cop?
Look, the magazine has said they are screenshots. Either I can believe a magazine that has journalist integrity on the line, or a guy in a forum who claims he knows a receptionist who herself claims to know that they are not screenshots but renders.

Super Mario
Apr 8, 2006, 07:41 AM

Look, the magazine has said they are screenshots.
Ya magazines also post prerenders of PS3 games and call them screenshots which you always point out when they are not in game shots how does it feel to be outed as a hypocrite DS puppy stroking fanboy?

goMac
Posting Junkie
Apr 8, 2006, 02:24 PM

how does it feel to be outed as a hypocrite DS puppy stroking fanboy?
I think you broke my irony meter.

meelk
Baninated
Apr 8, 2006, 03:06 PM

One of the guys from ubisoft who posts on the IGN board confirmed they are NOT concept renders. get over it, you lose.

Super Mario
Apr 8, 2006, 03:11 PM

One of the guys from ubisoft who posts on the IGN board confirmed they are NOT concept renders. get over it, you lose.

Then all the Sony and MS guys are right too showing off prerenders as screenshots
( Last edited by Super Mario; Jan 10, 2018 at 04:08 PM. )

meelk
Baninated
Apr 8, 2006, 03:12 PM

dumbest quote ever. they are partial page shots, for one, and for two, video game magazines have been filling plenty of space for years with systems that didnt output in even revolution resolution.

meelk
Baninated
Apr 8, 2006, 03:14 PM

Then all the Sony and MS guys are right too showing off prerenders as screenshots
have you seen the GDC videos? Apparently not, as the stuff you are calling sony pre-renders are screenshots.
Heres a nice video of models from Lair being stopped and rotated in game by the devs.
http://studentweb.uwstout.edu/kapszu...rGDC_split.zip

goMac
Posting Junkie
Apr 8, 2006, 03:16 PM

Ummm. The key was Sony was showing off "screenshots" before the dev kits had even shipped. The Revolution dev kits have been around for quite a while. Besides, you have everyone else telling you these are actual shots.

The company and the magazine are saying that they're actual shots. Even SWG isn't crazy enough to debate this.

I think the Sony fanbois are worse than the Windows fanbois in their blind zealotry.

meelk
Baninated
Apr 8, 2006, 03:20 PM

Ummm. The key was Sony was showing off "screenshots" before the dev kits had even shipped. The Revolution dev kits have been around for quite a while. Besides, you have everyone else telling you these are actual shots.

The company and the magazine are saying that they're actual shots. Even SWG isn't crazy enough to debate this.

I think the Sony fanbois are worse than the Windows fanbois in their blind zealotry.
the sad part is the PS3 stuff is even more graphically elaborate, so why all the Sony fanboi hate on Nintendo? It must be because they expected it to look like ass and it doesnt. The fact is Nintendo is going to have a very nice little machine at a great price and it scares them.

Super Mario
Apr 8, 2006, 03:23 PM

I know for a fact they are prerenders

I also know for a fact the Revolution doesn't support full page magazine print quality resolution when it can't even do HD.

Deal with it.

Super Mario
Apr 8, 2006, 03:25 PM

have you seen the GDC videos? Apparently not, as the stuff you are calling sony pre-renders are screenshots.
You don't know which ones I'm talking about that we debated in the PS3 thread last June.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Apr 8, 2006, 03:26 PM

No you don't. You claim to know a receptionist who claims to know they are pre-renders.

The developers of the game have stated that they are not-prerenders.

And meelk is right. The Revolution's resolution is just fine for print.

meelk
Baninated
Apr 8, 2006, 03:30 PM

I also know for a fact the Revolution doesn't support full page magazine print quality resolution when it can't even do HD.

Deal with it.
wow you are an idiot. the screenshots arent full page, as evidenced by the photos if you flip thru a site that features them all.
Video game mags have even done full page spreads with screenshots from games on systems with lower res than the Revolution, its called resizing. I take it youve never seen Genesis, SNES, N64, etc games in magazines before? Hello?
Idiot.
The fact is that EVERYONE: The developers, the game informer reporters, EVERYONE is telling you these are not concept renders.

The Game Informer staff did a ***HANDS ON.***

get over it.

meelk
Baninated
Apr 8, 2006, 03:36 PM

You don't know which ones I'm talking about that we debated in the PS3 thread last June.
so point them out? they were probably at GDC as well. Ratchet and Clank were, motostorm was, etc.

anyway: here are some quotes from PRINCE_NineOne1, the Ubi employee on the IGN boards. He has VIP status, which is only assigned to verified industry people (he is who he says he is, in other words).

************************************************** ******************************
you guys don't know what I do? You've never seen me on the IGN boards before? I'm exactly what my title says - a suggestion sponge. I help conduct focus groups, listen to gamers, and work with the development team to make sure everything is in line with what is expected of this game. Trust me - not as easy as it sounds. That's the TOP-DOWN look.

lots of other stuff, too.

Well - I'm gunna go out now.

I'll see you guys next week.
-P911

You guys should support Game Informer and go out and get this issue. The editorial job is tremendous and they worked hard to break this story for Nintendo Fans such as yourself.

Ubi_Prince & myself will comment on public knowledge once you guys get the magazine - but until then, support your local newstand and GI.

In the meantime - anyone care to speculate how this game will work? I'm interested to hear.

-P911

Get the mag - the sword part is the shiz!

My personal favorite - and it will be yours - I assure you.

-P911

OK - maybe I will comment on 1 thing because it so absurd for a next-gen game.

This game is not a rail shooter - that would be 100% NES and not Next-Gen.

-P911

Well guys, I'll be honest...I wasn't sure how people would react to a new game that was not 1st party or an existing brand.

I want to thank you for keeping an open-mind and supporting 3rd Party Developers like Ubisoft.

We have truly studied this innovative console and I promise that we'll do our best to deliver the ultimate experience at launch and, as always, we keep our ears open to what gamers want - so keep your voices heard...we are listening.

Thanks again!

-P911

p.s.
We'll be back in a few months to ask you guys what you want for a pre-order item. Why? Cuz that's how we do.

Once the magazine comes out - I will elaborate more. I wish I could talk right now but I'm in a bit of a "silent mode" - you know? You guys weren't supposed to see this magazine until next week!

I want to tell you all my thoughts on the power of the system, what I thought of the controls, etc.

And I will...at the approriate time. (ie. Next Week)

***And heres the special one, just for you SuperMario:***

That was not concept art.

-p911
( Last edited by meelk; Apr 8, 2006 at 04:10 PM. )

starman
Clinically Insane
Apr 8, 2006, 04:42 PM

Well, to answer the question, no, that's not cool. Ooh, BFD I can turn the Rev. controller and his hand turns.

Big
F'n
Deal

Give me something a little more substantial to get excited about.

meelk
Baninated
Apr 8, 2006, 05:02 PM

Well, to answer the question, no, that's not cool. Ooh, BFD I can turn the Rev. controller and his hand turns.

Big
F'n
Deal

Give me something a little more substantial to get excited about.
the manner in which you throw grenades is determined by how you move the controller. you can lob or roll them on the floor.
you can flip over things like tables and take cover behind them, again, with a motion from the controller.
the swordplay is completely attuned to the movement of the controller. full on sword fights, while holding the controller. (hell yes?)

Super Mario
Apr 8, 2006, 05:15 PM

the manner in which you throw grenades is determined by how you move the controller. you can lob or roll them on the floor.
you can flip over things like tables and take cover behind them, again, with a motion from the controller.
the swordplay is completely attuned to the movement of the controller. full on sword fights, while holding the controller. (hell yes?)

Imagine all those arms waving around every day to play a game.
( Last edited by Super Mario; Jan 10, 2018 at 04:09 PM. )

meelk
Baninated
Apr 8, 2006, 05:23 PM

you dont move your arms to do everything else in life?

goMac
Posting Junkie
Apr 8, 2006, 05:30 PM

Wow. You have to move your arms. Oh. No. Too. Much. Work.

I don't suppose it makes you feel better you could probably get away with just using your wrist? Or is that too much work?

Super Mario
Apr 8, 2006, 05:32 PM

Wow. You have to move your arms around frantically like an idiot. Oh. No. Too. Much. Work.
And looks fricking stupid too

Stupid like paying 30 bucks to stroke a digital dog with a pen

goMac
Posting Junkie
Apr 8, 2006, 05:33 PM

I'm sure playing the Revolution in front of that receptionist will be embarrassing and not masculine.

Got me there.

Super Mario
Apr 8, 2006, 05:35 PM

I'm sure playing the Revolution in front of that receptionist will be embarrassing and not masculine.
Ya guys like me save energy to do other things with girls like that. You enjoy the arm going back and forth action

goMac
Posting Junkie
Apr 8, 2006, 05:38 PM

Ya guys like me save energy to do other things with girls like that. You enjoy the arm going back and forth action
Yep. The Sony fanbois are worse than the Windows ones...

Daveecee
Forum Regular
Apr 8, 2006, 05:40 PM

Oh no. Heaven forbid you might look somewhat asinine while in the privacy of your own home.

Stupid like paying 30 bucks to stroke a digital dog with a pen
Why is your username "Super Mario" when your hate for Nintendo is quite apparent?

Super Mario
Apr 8, 2006, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by Daveecee
Oh no. Heaven forbid you might look somewhat asinine while in the privacy of your own home.

Why is your username "Super Mario" when your hate for Nintendo is quite apparent?
After years of making me do the same thing again and again in childish games with gimmicky fad control systems I decided to defect.

Daveecee
Forum Regular
Apr 8, 2006, 05:51 PM

Oh yes, their games are all so childish. Where're my buckets of blood and gore!?

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 9, 2006, 06:57 AM

OK, come back and say it so once the xbox had this kind of virtual interaction, technology is already here, with time it can only improve and spread.

So let guess…

2010, next xbox'll have some kind of this technology, MS is going to sell it as "Now it is time to get into the game" or something like that.

2014, fourth xbox incarnation games will still allow traditional controllers but the games are designed for richer experiences with the gesture based add on. If you want to experience the whole game, you are going to need those 'silly retarded whatever you name them' gesture based controllers.

Dude, when everyone is against you, it means that you are absolutely wrong… or absolutely right. Time'll tell. But I can assure you that Microsoft Research is really excited about this technology… I know the receptionist, you know.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 9, 2006, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by angelmb
I know the receptionist, you know.

Funny how he blames Nintendo for making the kind of games they do (apparently he was forced to buy and play them). *taps him on his head* ...there are other game studios writing games for Nintendo's consoles out there...... i know their receptionists.

Cheers

PS>>i just read an article stating that Microsoft is going to relaunch the XB360 in Japan. *shakes his head* theyre making gaming history thats for sure. Also noteworthy....the PS2 and GCN are outselling the XB360 in Japan.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 9, 2006, 12:14 PM

It seems Japaneses are in love with handleds… here goes the podium

1-. Nintendo DS Lite - 89,790
2-. Nintendo DS - 48,947
3-. PlayStation Portable - 40,091

Forum Links
Forum Rules