Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Playstation USB Adapter for DDR?

Playstation USB Adapter for DDR?
kelesh
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 24, 2003, 06:28 PM

I want to play stepmania on my powerbook. What is a good usb adapter that works with OSX? Using either gamepad companion, usb overdrive, or some other similar program.

kelesh  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 5, 2003, 02:17 AM

oh well... for those interested i found out that the PC Joy Converter had the highest compatibility. Unfortunately it is only available from lik-sang.com, a hong kong based retailer. It was about $23 shipped. I'll post a followup on how well it works when it arrives.

Jansar
Professional Poster
Dec 5, 2003, 02:22 AM

lik-sang sucks...they rip you off like no other (since they sorta have a monopoly on some items)

try to search for the same items elsewhere on the internet. i wanted the metal dance pad, but they attach a 200.00 (the cheapest) shipping tax on top of everything
World of Warcraft (Whisperwind - Alliance) <The Eternal Spiral>
Go Dogcows!

kelesh  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 9, 2003, 05:02 PM

dude i searched and couldn't find this adapter ANYWHERE else.

i bought the pad from buynshop.com, for $48 plus $16 shipping.

everything seems to work. the adapter or pad seems to think i'm repeatedly hitting the button when i step down, which is kind of annoying, but it still works.

edddeduck
Mac Elite
Dec 10, 2003, 01:24 PM

Play Asia They have nice adapters and other such stuff. Cheap and fast. I bought a Game Cube adapter from here.

Cheers Edd

Jansar
Professional Poster
Dec 10, 2003, 03:37 PM

Originally posted by kelesh:
dude i searched and couldn't find this adapter ANYWHERE else.

i bought the pad from buynshop.com, for $48 plus $16 shipping.

everything seems to work. the adapter or pad seems to think i'm repeatedly hitting the button when i step down, which is kind of annoying, but it still works.
So, does your pad seem to feel authentic and durable? I'm also looking for a pad to use with StepMania.
World of Warcraft (Whisperwind - Alliance) <The Eternal Spiral>
Go Dogcows!

kelesh  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 12, 2003, 08:43 AM

durable? YES - thick foam, sturdy construction

authentic? well its got a vinyl cover, its foam on the inside and not metal. there are little raises by the buttons so you know where you are (this is key for me). i'd say it was worth the extra 25 bucks over a cheaper pad.

kelesh  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 13, 2003, 11:12 AM

gah, OS X sucks!! i can't get my adapter to function properly. It misses arrows randomly, i think because its getting overflowed with joystick information.(i told usb overdrive to map the joystick stuff to nothing, but it still misses arrows).

i tried both the PC Joy Converter adapter and the EMS USB2, which are listed as "highest compatibility" at stepmania's webpage:

http://www.stepmania.com/stepmania/adapter.php

The PC JOy Converter and the pad work perfectly in Windows XP. ANy ideas on what's going wrong or how to fix it?

exa
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 15, 2003, 04:27 AM

Meh, I got two DDR pads and a usb adapter from ebay for $30, works perfectly. The adapter is a super dual box.

I don't use usb overdrive or any special software, it works right out of the box. Actually initially I tried gamepad companion and usb overdrive, both did not function well with the pad, until I realized that I did not need them at all. Took me a while to figure out how to set it up, but it does work perfectly.

drews85
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 16, 2003, 10:48 AM

i am intrested in this idea as i dont have any video game systems. is their a ddr availible for computers that your playing with or is it some type of emulator?

kelesh  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 18, 2003, 01:52 PM

exa: do you have a powerbook? what kind of apple computer do you have? When I get home I will try it without usb overdrive.

other dude: www.stepmania.com , or search versiontracker.com for stepmania. its a really great emulator.

kelesh  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 18, 2003, 11:55 PM

i got rid of usb overdrive and now it works! i don't understand it at all, but i'm happy. both the ems usb2 and the pc joy converter adapters work with my pad.

dhamon
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 12, 2004, 08:38 PM

My EMSUSB2 works great, but only one of the slots works. Ah well.

Forum Links
Forum Rules