Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Powerbook - eBay scam?!

Powerbook - eBay scam?!
idyll
Senior User
Jan 26, 2003, 12:24 AM

Well, I've been emailing a lot of people who are trying to sell their TiBooks and asking whether they would trade one for my Power Mac 867MHz MDD G4.

Well, so far one person replied to my email with a quick "sure." I asked for his screen name and had a pretty long conversation with him which can be found here. The link to his auction can be found here.

This seems to be too good to be true because he's willing to include a targus case, final cut pro, etc. ..more info can be found in the conversation. To me it also seems like he's making half of the stuff up (you read the conversation yourself).

Tell me what you think. Should I take the chance and send him my Power Mac? I trust him that he will send the Powerbook, Im just not too sure whether it will be dead on arrival or not. Maybe you've had experience with him and it went really bad? Thanks!

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 26, 2003, 12:31 AM

If you have any doubts, don't do it. Simple as that.

macgeekjay
Jan 26, 2003, 12:32 AM

I've never dealt with him before, but Powerbook sellers on eBay shouldn't be trusted by nature. It's a bad rap, I know, but there has been so many horrible transactions on eBay with those 'Books.

Just be cautious. I would wait to see what addy he gives you and if you can verify it. Is it a PO Box? Is he listed? When is he moving? How would you be able to contact him if needed?

Just a few ideas.....

Good luck!!

idyll  (op)
Senior User
Jan 26, 2003, 12:36 AM

He sent me his address and phone number.. And no, it's not a P.O. Box.. just a regular address.
( Last edited by idyll; Jan 26, 2003 at 12:43 AM. )

daSilVetZ
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 26, 2003, 12:38 AM

I have a buddy who lives in FL- maybe if they dont live too far, I can ask him to go check it out for you. Do you know what city he's in?

leffo
Forum Regular
Jan 26, 2003, 12:41 AM

Originally posted by idyll:
He sent my his address and phone number.. And no, it's not a P.O. Box.. just a regular address.
Well, then call the guy and check things out. A phonecall will probably give you more clues on how to deal with it.

idyll  (op)
Senior User
Jan 26, 2003, 12:42 AM

Actually, I'm the one who lives in FL. He lives in California.. Huntington Beach, to be exact.

idyll  (op)
Senior User
Jan 26, 2003, 12:44 AM

I'd call him but I have a slight accent.. Heheh, don't want him to think Im a foreigner and take advantage of me, if you know what I mean.. Maybe I should just call him.

daSilVetZ
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 26, 2003, 12:45 AM

Actually, I'm the one who lives in FL. He lives in California.. Huntington Beach, to be exact.
Well, strangely enough, i have done a few trades with a guy who lives right in Huntington Beach.. I don't think we're talking about the same person though , as I dont think he has a PowerBook. What is this guy's first name?

idyll  (op)
Senior User
Jan 26, 2003, 12:48 AM

That's strange.. His full name is Raymond J Martin.

leffo
Forum Regular
Jan 26, 2003, 12:53 AM

I'd call him but I have a slight accent.. Heheh, don't want him to think Im a foreigner and take advantage of me, if you know what I mean.. Maybe I should just call him.
Well, that's atleast what I do when I'm buying something second-hand that's a bit on the more expensive side. I ask for the telephone-number and call right away.

iEvolve
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 26, 2003, 01:12 AM

Let me know if this guy screws you. I live not too far from Huntington Beach.

daSilVetZ
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 26, 2003, 01:22 AM

That's strange.. His full name is Raymond J Martin.
Not the same person then. too bad because the guy I was talking about is just about as honest as can get! Great guy Im sure you won't have any problems though. Definitly call him, and maybe iEvolve could go check out the PB if he isn't too far like he mentioned.

idyll  (op)
Senior User
Jan 26, 2003, 01:30 AM

iEvolve, do you have AIM or MSN so we can talk personally? Would you be willing to check out the TiBook before he sends it to me? I wouldn't mind paying you..

Forum Links
Forum Rules