Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iOS Apps > Carl Zeiss Wide Angle Exolens

Carl Zeiss Wide Angle Exolens
RobOnTheCape
Senior User
Sep 14, 2016, 04:06 PM

Hello all,

Just wanted to share my thoughts on this lens. I've been using the lens for about a week now, and while I thought it was crazy to spend $200 for a lens I now firmly believe it was quite worth it. I do lots of photography for the company I work for(Real Estate), and now am re-shooting the homes as the difference between old and new is substantial. My old wide angle was the Ollo Clip - nice, but bending along the edges, same with another, that was in fact useless due to bending. The Exolens has near zero bending of the edges, the pics are crisp as if I had no lens on. I've started using the "ProCamera" app($2.99), and the two combined have really transformed all of my home shots. Perhaps the only negative I have is the mounting bracket. It's a nice looking aluminum frame which slides over the top and pulls down, to where the threads are aligned with the iPhone lens. The frame is very sturdy, and has metal threads which accept the metal lens threads beautifully(great quality). The negative is that the frame is a bitch to pull off, thus putting all away in the cloth sack is a process. Minor gripe. Otherwise what a great lens.

reader50
Administrator
Sep 14, 2016, 09:23 PM

If you're taking pictures for business, shouldn't you be using a real DSLR to make those homes look their best?

I know smartphone cameras have become quite good, and they're certainly convenient. But if you're carrying around a lens attachment anyway ... you'll get better shots with a real body and quality glass.

RobOnTheCape  (op)
Senior User
Sep 14, 2016, 11:49 PM

In fact, we hired a guy with a DSLR to come and shoot a home we had for rent, and now is for sale. In the end we went with some of his, and some of mine.

RobOnTheCape  (op)
Senior User
Sep 15, 2016, 01:09 PM

You should further know that we sell homes for a minimum of 400k up to just recently 22M, and while we sometimes hire an outside photographer, many of our homes listed for sale we use an iPhone or similar, and few have ever complained. The end result is that the homes are sold for a price the owners are happy with.

P
Sep 17, 2016, 03:50 AM

Realtor photography is a niche that I could see being fine with iPhone photography: well-lit rooms, wide angle lenses, no movement. Makes sense, actually, even if I never thought about it before.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Forum Links
Forum Rules