Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > iBook Fan

iBook Fan
Flip500
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 22, 2005, 12:35 AM

Does any one know of a way to control my iBook G4's fan so that I can get my lappy to run cooler... right now just sitting here typing my CPU is at 125.8 Farinheit and my Graphics card is at 131.4 Farinheit. Nothing has happened, but it could probally boost preformance if I was running cooler. (I wouldn't mind the sound if my iBook was running cooler)

Ji Eun
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 22, 2005, 02:21 PM

we need model, specs and what kind of apps you're running to give you any reasonable reply.

12" iBook 1.2ghz / 1.2gb

rjenkinson
Professional Poster
Aug 22, 2005, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by Ji Eun
we need model, specs and what kind of apps you're running to give you any reasonable reply.
and why do we need to know those things to control the fan?

-r.

Ji Eun
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 22, 2005, 02:38 PM

because there have been different ibook configs for several years now, resulting in different user experiences.
perhaps you could answer the original poster's question then as is. by all means do.

12" iBook 1.2ghz / 1.2gb

rjenkinson
Professional Poster
Aug 22, 2005, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by Ji Eun
because there have been different ibook configs for several years now, resulting in different user experiences.
which is irrelevant to the question being asked. i know of no way to manually turn the fan on, but you can adjust the energy saver settings in system preferences. either use one of the presets (longest battery life will run the coolest) or change the processor performance to reduced, set the hard disk to sleep and so on.

-r.

Flip500  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 22, 2005, 03:59 PM

Okay, Okay I'll just answer everyone's questions:

-I awalys leave my processor and all other settings on highest, because you can't run things at the same level you can when your setting are set to save power... and the whole reason i want to run cooler is to get better preformance.

-I have a 14.5 inche iBook G4 from the summer of 2004, it is 1.07 Ghz and I have 512 MB of RAM. I'm usually running pretty big games, iTunes, Gimp (free photoshop basically), all the software to measure heat and CPU usage internet, Mail, iChat, Word, ect. I have been able to feel the heat coming up through my keyboard after a long time of playing games. My record highs are: CPU: 151.7 Farieheit Graphic Card: 159.8 Farinheit HardDrive: 120.7 Farineheit
I think I covered every thing....

rjenkinson
Professional Poster
Aug 22, 2005, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by Flip500
...and the whole reason i want to run cooler is to get better preformance.
it's not going to happen. the faster your machine runs, the hotter it will get. you can have it run either cooler or faster, but not both.

-r.

Flip500  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 22, 2005, 09:55 PM

But the more coldness I get in there the faster/hotter it can run before I worry about it. I guess no one knows how to truely "override" the iBooks fan... But thanks anyway!

Forum Links
Forum Rules