Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Best way to clean white MB (need SERIOUS help)

Best way to clean white MB (need SERIOUS help)
Geofries
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 21, 2006, 12:54 PM

It's dingy, filthy. Track pad, keys, whole thing. It gets HEAVY use. Nothing seems to work. Will it ever be white again?

galarneau
Senior User
Dec 21, 2006, 01:38 PM

if it's an early model, you may have the bad batch of plastics that stains easily and won't ever come clean.

Take it in to your Apple Dealer and have them look at it. I had a machine like this and they replaced the plastics in a couple of hours at no charge.

stefanicotine
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 21, 2006, 03:24 PM

I've had graphite stains on my MacBook before. It took alot of effort to get them out. I used a tiny bit of 90% alcohol on some Q-tips and it didn't damage the finish. You can try that if you want, but don't blame me if it dulls the finish (I used a TINY bit).
 Certified AppleCare Technician

craigb6
Dec 21, 2006, 04:13 PM

I think it might be too late, but to prevent more dirt getting on the keyboard get this:
iSkin Protouch
MacBook 2.0GHz | 2GB RAM | 80GB HDD
http://craigb6.blogspot.com/

kikkoman
Senior User
Dec 21, 2006, 09:19 PM

I've had good results with 90% alcohol and cotton balls. I rub it all over the white plastic areas and it doesn't harm the finish. Test somewhere inconspicuous first!

Dr. DDS
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 23, 2006, 10:33 AM

on my ibook i use a soft white eraser to clean trackpad and plastics. it works.
14" ibook g4 /1,42Ghz/60Gb/1,5Gb RAM!

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Dec 24, 2006, 12:06 PM

Go ahead and check the serial number of your MacBook; you can determine the week it was manufactured from it. For instance, mine is 4H626xxxxxx. The 4H represents where it was manufactured, the 6 is for the year 2006, and the 26 is for the 26th week of the year (between June 25th and July 1st). I don't personally remember when the discoloration stopped happening, but someone else might. But if it looks like any of these, you should definitely try taking it to an Apple store so they can replace your wristpad for you.

And it it isn't that, try one of these:

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

nickw311
Senior User
Dec 24, 2006, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by TheoCryst View Post
I don't personally remember when the discoloration stopped happening, but someone else might.
The discoloration stopped happening at about week 26. I had a week 23 and 25 MB and both discolored.
27" iMac C2D

Forum Links
Forum Rules