Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > problem updating apps all of a sudden

problem updating apps all of a sudden
iamnotmad
Senior User
Dec 24, 2008, 01:29 AM

Hi all, last week at some point, my itunes started failing to update applications. It basically does not even check. I finally got around to debugging this a little bit and discovered the problem but no solution.

I have a shared library between my wife and I. The library is on a server (old mac) and we each have our own laptops. We open the itunes library on the server when we sync our iPhones.

This has basically worked fine since the iPhone 3g release.

All of a sudden now, update will not even check on my computer. I discovered that if I add an app that was "purchased" (free or not) by my wife to the library my update starts failing. If I remove it, update works again.

Nothing has changed that I know of, this problem started all of a sudden last week. My wifes computer still seems to work when I tried it earlier today (that was before I discovered the source of the problem). I'll check it again soon.

Has anyone run into this problem? Tell me there is an easy solution!

Thanks!

64stang06
Mac Elite
Dec 24, 2008, 01:56 AM

Well, right now with only 1 iTunes account in my library, I have the same problems as you: I know an update is out but iTunes and the iPhone fail to find them. I tried restarting my phone and computer, but no luck. A new user on the computer provides the same results. Started happening about a week ago also.
MacBook Pro 13" 2.8GHz Core i7/8GB RAM/750GB Hard Drive - Mac OS X 10.7.3

iamnotmad  (op)
Senior User
Dec 24, 2008, 09:04 AM

does the message of no app updates come up almost immediately? No activity in the display window at the top of iTunes like it is checking?

64stang06
Mac Elite
Dec 24, 2008, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by iamnotmad View Post
does the message of no app updates come up almost immediately? No activity in the display window at the top of iTunes like it is checking?
Yep, about a second or two later after I click the link.

iamnotmad  (op)
Senior User
Dec 25, 2008, 07:28 PM

tried my wifes computer again and it works, connected to the same iTunes library over the network. Update works fine, even switching between my account and hers to update all the apps. ugh. I'v tried repair permissions, reinstall itunes (incl del prefs). and some other stuff. No love.

I've read a few reports on the internet of similar problems starting around a similar time. Why does it work on my wifes and not mine though? Odd.

64stang06
Mac Elite
Dec 29, 2008, 09:58 PM

WTF does that have to do with the topic?

Cold Warrior
Dec 29, 2008, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by 64stang06 View Post
WTF does that have to do with the topic?
I think you must've seen the video converter spam before I deleted it.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Dec 29, 2008, 10:18 PM

I missed the spam

-t

iamnotmad  (op)
Senior User
Dec 30, 2008, 09:13 AM

Anyone figure out a solution for this problem yet?

iamnotmad  (op)
Senior User
Jan 4, 2009, 10:13 AM

Update worked for me this morning, I think it listed apps that were updated already, but it also listed one that was not. This is great though, hopeful that I wont have to mess with it - APple just needs to work it out.

Can anyone else with this problem try it today?

Forum Links
Forum Rules